Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A great goalkeeper of yesteryear: Charlie Wright

Comments

• Options

Couple of points,No half time board scores on the side,Harry Gregory with his shorts on back to front no7 seen on 14mins,rear right and Charlie Hall must have been standing in the tunnel as no dugouts in the stand.
    But football was just great,brings back my youth.Happy Days.

Each game that season Harry Gregory always wore his shorts back to front, with the number 7 on his arse.

Must have been his little superstition.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Couple of points,No half time board scores on the side,Harry Gregory with his shorts on back to front no7 seen on 14mins,rear right and Charlie Hall must have been standing in the tunnel as no dugouts in the stand.
    But football was just great,brings back my youth.Happy Days.

Each game that season Harry Gregory always wore his shorts back to front, with the number 7 on his arse.

Must have been his little superstition.

In one game, late in the season I think (it was sunny, so maybe springtime?), Gregory came out in the second half wearing the number 5 shorts, and Wally Went had Gregory's number seven shorts on....what went on between them at half-time for them to switch is anyone's guess!!
  • Options
    Sad news

RIP Helen

• Options
     We use to call him through the legs Charlie  ha 
    I always use to pop into the cafe he had in Greenwich breakfast wasn't the best but always good to listen to his stories about when he played for us  B)

• Options
    edited December 2023
    He was my pe teacher at school.I met him again at the back to the Valley game and he remembered me

• Options
    Stay strong Sir Charlie Wright and family.
    Funeral is a day before Charlie’s birthday.

• Options
    RIP Helen
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Remember him holding up play to listen with fans to either the grand national  or Derby.

Great character, I don't think he ever did it, but I could imagine him having a crafty fag during the game.

RIP Helen!
  • Options
    RIP Helen and condolences to Charlie.
  • Options
    Very fond memories of Charlie when I was a young star struck kid. I used to stand right behind the goal on the open terrace before the Jimmy Seed was built and have a great view of Charlie’s antics.  Condolences to Charlie and family. RIP Helen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
     We use to call him through the legs Charlie  ha 
    I always use to pop into the cafe he had in Greenwich breakfast wasn't the best but always good to listen to his stories about when he played for us  B)

I can confirm his breakfasts were proper greasy spoon fayre but the atmosphere was always good in there.
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of a round of golf with him a few years back.  Such a lovely fella, a proper family man and had nothing but positives about Charlton.

Plenty of stories to tell and a wicked sense of humour.

This is such sad news however.  He was very complimentary of his wife putting up with him and with football in general.  RIP Mrs Wright
  • Options
    Charlie will be 85 in a few days time. I hope he is keeping well.
  • Options
    Along with Sam ,my favourite goal keeper a true Charlton legend
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Mametz said:
    Although people often mention the one that went straight through his legs, he was well capable of commanding his area and making superb saves. One doesn’t rattle up over 500 appearances for his various clubs without being a decent keeper.
    My first game was in Jan '68 V Millwall, which we won 1-0, i remember a pass back to Charlie going through his legs, but being cleared off the line...🤷‍♂️🤔
    A great keeper for us...
  • Options
    a fine keeper in a good mid/late 1960s team .. another top import from Grimsby like Tees and Mendonca
  • Options
    Best cooked breakfast in Greenwich 
    Loved talking Charlton to him in my teenage summer job years working for my Uncle's building firm. 
  • Options
    A clown (in the best sense of the word) and a very good keeper. I started going more regularly in 66-67 and he was a firm favourite of mine right from when he first signed.

RIP Helen and thoughts with Charlie and his family. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never saw him play (too young) but heard plenty of stories about him from my old man as they got to know each other pretty well back in the day. Charlie was his all time favourite player.

RIP Helen
  • Options
    A great character. We've signed one or two goodies from Grimsby. Sorry for his loss.
  • Options
    Sad news for Charlie, RIP Helen.

He was in goal when I first started going, like all good goalies he was a bit mad. In one game an opposition forward was blocking him as he tried to drop kick it upfield (standard tactic in those days), so he pressed the ball onto the blokes hand and yelled at the ref for handball, which he promptly gave to general hilarity.

Bit of classic Charlie at around 19:30 in the link below, provoking a bit of a rumpus at the old Den, then trying to catch one of the missiles.

https://youtu.be/U1xg_mEgipw?si=JsJFf0RPrTYcYA0G
  • Options
    Sat with Charlie at Sandwich to watch Darren Clark win the open, marvellous man with some great stories. His brother in law was Matt Tees who sadly passed away with Alzheimer's. That era produced some brilliant down to earth footballers Barry Kitchener and Harry Cripps at Millwall now both sadly gone, Len Glover is now at Herne Bay and spent some great hours in his company recently, former fitness coach for George Michael, he has some great stories to tell. So sad for Charlie's loss, RIP Helen XX 
  • Options
    Sad news for Charlie, RIP Helen.

He was in goal when I first started going, like all good goalies he was a bit mad. In one game an opposition forward was blocking him as he tried to drop kick it upfield (standard tactic in those days), so he pressed the ball onto the blokes hand and yelled at the ref for handball, which he promptly gave to general hilarity.

Bit of classic Charlie at around 19:30 in the link below, provoking a bit of a rumpus at the old Den, then trying to catch one of the missiles.

https://youtu.be/U1xg_mEgipw?si=JsJFf0RPrTYcYA0G
    Was behind the goal where the Charlie elbow incident took place. Funny all these years later I thought he'd elbowed Gordon Bolland not Kitchener. Got chased out the ground, found some poor bastard in a garden covered in blood. Scum for a reason. 
  • Options
    Loved watching Charlie first goalkeeper I saw play .Remember reading in Goal or a similar publication about him being Hong Kong Footballer of the year
  • Options
    Love Charlie. Probably my favourite Charlton keeper. "Plays it right."