Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A great goalkeeper of yesteryear: Charlie Wright

For anyone who can remember the exploits between the sticks of Charlie Wright , there's an article about him here:


grimsbynews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/a-magnificent-goalkeeper-charlie-wright.html
«13

Comments

  • Kept 3 clean sheets against the Spanners in the league - something that has only been done by one other goalkeeper since.
  • Charlie is living down in Deal and enjoying his golf.
  • As a nipper, I watched him chat to the fans when the ball was up the other end. Later, he didn't let me pay for my mug of tea in his caff in east Greenwich. He went on to own a sports bar in Hoxton.
  • one of my favourite players ... great character
  • yeah great character ....played for hong kong didnt he ? used to have a good connection with the younger fans ...if pennies (old currency) got thrown at him hed give them to the kids at the front behind the goal ...used to let a few long shots through his legs and give away goals every so often to keep us all keen

  • One of my first Charlton hero's. Remember that he was Hong Kong footballer of the year. Used to have the habit of jumping for the ball and bringing his knees up to keep others away seemed to remember it worked quite well. Also went to Azof Street to buy my fish and chips latter in life. Feel very old that he is now 76!
  • One of my first Charlton hero's. Remember that he was Hong Kong footballer of the year. Used to have the habit of jumping for the ball and bringing his knees up to keep others away seemed to remember it worked quite well. Also went to Azof Street to buy my fish and chips latter in life. Feel very old that he is now 76!

    Saw him a while back, he's looking good for 76.
  • Liked to hang about on the crossbar as well.
  • In my personal top 4 keepers since 1963

    Wright, Johns, Bolder, Kiely

  • Sponsored links:


  • Loved watching Charlie, even if it gave everyone heart failure whenever the ball was about to go through his legs!

    He was a part-time PE teacher at my school (Eltham Green) for a while - as was Dickie Plumb also. Think they used to supplement their relatively poor wages back in the 60s. Charlie used to lean on the goal posts having a crafty fag while we were playing football. Real character.
  • Grimsby's finest ((:>) .. Solid as a rock was Charles and (excuse the mixed similies) as brave as a lion .. had 5 good seasons with us during a period when we came oh so close to success and promotion but it was not to be
  • Had a chat with him a few months ago.

    lovely guy. Spends a lot of time in Holland as one of his daughters is out there with his grandkids

    Not a fan of Theo Foley.

    Like Oggy, that team rolls of the tongue like poetry
  • at Smallwall one game they were throwing all sorts of sh-it at him coins etc etc Charlie took his hat off went round picking all the money up --went behind the goal and gave it to the kids at the front of the terraces -------top man
  • edited December 2014
    LenGlover said:

    In my personal top 4 keepers since 1963

    Wright, Johns, Bolder, Kiely

    Wouldn't argue with that too much, but what about Carson though?
  • Oggy Red said:

    "Sir Charlie Wright, Sir Charlie Wright, Charlie ........"


    In my mind I can still hear the Covered End singing that and he'd turn round and give us a wave or a mock bow. The man had a wicked sense of humour, always clowning about, a proper entertainer - and we fans loved him.

    No mean goalkeeper either, capable of world class full length miracle point blank saves ...... or once or twice an absolute howler, as the ball trickled between his legs and just about rolled over the line. (Don't mention a 0-1 home defeat by Ipswich in the 1967-68 season, after we dominated most of the game).

    He was a rock of the legendary Eddie Firmani side that almost won promotion back to the top flight in 1968-69. I bet I could more or less name that side right now straight off the top of my head:

    1 Charlie Wright
    2 Bob Curtis
    3 Brian Kinsey
    4 Alan Campbell
    5 Paul Went
    6 Peter Reeves
    7 Harry Gregory
    8 Matt Tees
    9 Ray Treacy
    10 Graham Moore (skipper)
    11 Keith Peacock

    Subs: Johnny Keirs or Dennis Booth

    (Ha ..... wrote that without pausing for breath!)


    Not only was he to my knowledge the first of our players to be designated 'Sir' ....... but he was our one and only Hong Kong international!


    To me, Charlie Wright will always be a Charlton legend!

    One of my favourite teams. Spoke to Harry a few weeks ago, absolute legend. Remember standing up on the East terrace many years ago and realising I was standing next to Peter Reeves. Spoke to him for ages , very down to earth bloke. We related to these players unlike today,
  • edited December 2014

    LenGlover said:

    In my personal top 4 keepers since 1963

    Wright, Johns, Bolder, Kiely

    Wouldn't argue with that too much, but what about Carson though?
    Fifth. The other 4 all played 200 plus games so deserve their spot.

    The difficulty is ranking them. Kiely, Johns, Bolder, Wright but might be different tomorrow!
  • E-cafc said:

    LenGlover said:

    In my personal top 4 keepers since 1963

    Wright, Johns, Bolder, Kiely

    Graham Tutt would have been in there too but for his awful career ending injury sustained at Sunderland. Around 1987-88 we used to go to Charlie's cafe in Greenwich. He was a character!

    Very true
  • Have not done badly by Grimsby over the years. Matt Tees, Clive and Charlie.
  • Oggy Red said:

    "Sir Charlie Wright, Sir Charlie Wright, Charlie ........"


    In my mind I can still hear the Covered End singing that and he'd turn round and give us a wave or a mock bow. The man had a wicked sense of humour, always clowning about, a proper entertainer - and we fans loved him.

    No mean goalkeeper either, capable of world class full length miracle point blank saves ...... or once or twice an absolute howler, as the ball trickled between his legs and just about rolled over the line. (Don't mention a 0-1 home defeat by Ipswich in the 1967-68 season, after we dominated most of the game).

    He was a rock of the legendary Eddie Firmani side that almost won promotion back to the top flight in 1968-69. I bet I could more or less name that side right now straight off the top of my head:

    1 Charlie Wright
    2 Bob Curtis
    3 Brian Kinsey
    4 Alan Campbell
    5 Paul Went
    6 Peter Reeves
    7 Harry Gregory
    8 Matt Tees
    9 Ray Treacy
    10 Graham Moore (skipper)
    11 Keith Peacock

    Subs: Johnny Keirs or Dennis Booth

    (Ha ..... wrote that without pausing for breath!)


    Not only was he to my knowledge the first of our players to be designated 'Sir' ....... but he was our one and only Hong Kong international!


    To me, Charlie Wright will always be a Charlton legend!

    I like your style young man ;-)

  • Sponsored links:


  • pettgra said:

    Have not done badly by Grimsby over the years. Matt Tees, Clive and Charlie.

    What about Andy Peake then? And, Rodney Green?
  • edited December 2014
    The first keeper I ever saw, still hold him in great affection. In my top three with Nicky Johns and John Dunn. Used to love the Sir Charlie Wright singing back in the good old days of the covered end. My Brother did his insurance for his cafe and took along the scrapbooks I made as a child for him to look at. Seems he enjoyed reading the articles about himself, and have a very nice autograph from him in return.
  • As others have said a real character, part of my favourite ever side. I watched every game home & away that 68/69 season.
  • Met Charlie and got his autograph. See attached. Who are the other two Charlton players from 1969/1970??
    pdf
    pdf
    autograph book scan.pdf
    305K
  • Aye ,Aye ,Aye Charlie is better that Yashin.Tracey is better that Eusebio and Millwall are in for a thrashin'.
    First football song I every sung.Happy days.
  • edited December 2014

    Met Charlie and got his autograph. See attached. Who are the other two Charlton players from 1969/1970??

    Pretty sure one is Bob Curtis. The other one I think is Graham Moore.
  • Did good bacon sandwiches in his cafe!
  • I never saw him play (I'm 27), but I remember as a kid my Dad always said that he was his favourite player growing up. Is it true he used to own one of the fish and chip shops by The Valley?
  • timken said:

    Aye ,Aye ,Aye Charlie is better that Yashin.Tracey is better that Eusebio and Millwall are in for a thrashin'.
    First football song I every sung.Happy days.

    I remember that but in my version Matt Tees is better than Eusebio.
Sign In or Register to comment.