Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob - After Match Comments

edited November 2014 in General Charlton
I must admit I do like Bob however I think one or two things he said the press conference after the Ipswich game that maybe could have stayed in the dressing room or the players meeting room at the training ground. Maybe the word "unforgiveable" is one of them or 'It's not important that it's cruel".

I think he did the right waiting to speak to the players though. It's maybe some of the words used in his interview could have been saved when he speaks to them on Monday. Just saying.

(I must admit, I'm trying to choose the words carefully for this post myself.)

Comments

• Options
    Possibly.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Or maybe to deflect the attention away from the fact we could have played for five hours yesterday and still not score.

I think the best solution would be to kick in Rolands office door, and demand a half decent striker, that way we could make the odd mistake and still look like we may get to win a game!
  • Options
    I suspect that BP regrets he made those comments on TV, born out of frustration with the players and mayeb the owner. Lets not forget that BP is an inexperienced manager at this level and is still learning his trade, as Powell was before him.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I suspect that BP regrets he made those comments on TV, born out of frustration with the players and mayeb the owner. Lets not forget that BP is an inexperienced manager at this level and is still learning his trade, as Powell was before him.

I think that's a fair comment, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. That said, he's normally pretty sharp and knows how to play the press so I reckon once he's calmed down and counted to ten he'll be launching another charm offensive soon enough.
  • Options
    It never ends well when managers start singling out individual players in public. I do feel partially that it may have been designed to deflect criticism of Fox, but I'm also slightly worried that we haven't really seen how BP responds when things are going wrong and that's the mark of a good manager - hopefully it doesn't involve slagging off a different player each week after the game.
  • Options
    I brought up this point on the post match thread yesterday.

Disappointing that the manager is playing the blame game and singling out a player publicly.

Sort it out in the dressing room, Peeters - and keep it out of the media.

• Options
    Yeah, I agree. Fair comments, in the dressing room, but not suitable to be aired in the press. I think some of the players may lose some respect for him after that. I would be thinking 'is he going to dig me out in the press if I make a mistake'. Yesterday was gutting. We did not deserve to lose and we should have taken our chances. But, mistakes happen and football can be cruel!
  • Options
    @thenewbie Agree it was a mistake, even experienced managers make mistakes in the heat of after match. Its how he manages the situation now. TBH and he will need to have a good discussion on Monday.

• Options
    I've seen us win with the last kick of the ball and celebrated. It still hurts when we lose like that but it puts it into perspective and you move on but if anybody has to be blamed then that is the manager and it's his job alone to sort it out, or get the push himself. I've not seen or read what it is he said that's seemed to upset the more sensitive souls but If he feels the best way is to talk openly about it then that's his call. Good managers manage, not so good managers mark time...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I think his comments were ill advised. Keep it in the dressing room. But Bob is still young and inexperienced. Some posters on here and other forums have been calling for a bit of passion from the Manager/Coach. Bob certainly wears his heart on his sleeve.
  • Options
    Maybe he shouldn't have said it publicly... But in my eyes players get praised and criticised. Players should be big enough to take it on the chin, and not expect to be mothered.
  • Options
    Who did Bob have a pop at on tv , i missed that bit?
  • Options

TBH
  • Options
    Bob was with his family today early afternoon enjoying the carol singers on Bromley High Street.

• Options
    Agree that it was probably a mistake to say what he said to the public rather than in the dressing room. However, I wish it was the norm. I find it quite refreshing actually.
  • Options
    I don't think there was anything wrong with what Bob said. It's the truth at the end of the day and TBH is one of the more experienced members of the team and should bice back. Had he said that about Fox or Cousins then it would've been harsh due to their lack of experience. TBH has been around for years and played at a much higher level so should be open to criticism.
  • Options

se9addick said:

TBH
    Thanks for that SE.

What on earth does Bob think he's doing slagging his players off on live TV, why doesn't he just come on Charlton Life and have a rant like the rest of us.
    True if those players are in any way feeling got at by his comments, they'll think that he's blowing smoke up their arses if they were to come and read the comments left on here at times.
  • Options
    Too annoyed to face his players after.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/furious_bob_peeters_in_dressing_room_no_show_after_ipswich_defeat_1_3867736

That doesn't strike me as terribly mature, nor very good management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah it's a bit silly, don't like how all of this is played out in the press either.
  • Options
    Weird. I really don't get it. We lost our 1st home game in the 95th minute to a club who are now 2nd.

Can't understand why he just can't say these things happen and we move on to the next game . We have beat teams this season exactly the same way Ipswich beat us.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/furious_bob_peeters_in_dressing_room_no_show_after_ipswich_defeat_1_3867736

Don't see a problem with it. Good management as far as I am concerned and stops him saying anything in the heat of the moment.
  • Options
    One of the things I disliked most about Pardew was that he would single out players for criticism in interviews. I really hope that this was a one-off heat of the moment aberration by Big Bob.
  • Options

Weird. I really don't get it. We lost our 1st home game in the 95th minute to a club who are now 2nd.

Can't understand why he just can't say these things happen and we move on to the next game . We have beat teams this season exactly the same way Ipswich beat us.

I think it is because of the manner of the lose. We defended so well for 94 minutes and then a moment of madness from TBH led to that. Also we had so many chances to score - we should've been 3-0 by the time they had scored.

I do agree though - we have beaten teams this season in the same kind of fashion but now we have been on the receiving end of it - it is tough to take.
  • Options

I think it is because of the manner of the lose. We defended so well for 94 minutes and then a moment of madness from TBH led to that. Also we had so many chances to score - we should've been 3-0 by the time they had scored.

I do agree though - we have beaten teams this season in the same kind of fashion but now we have been on the receiving end of it - it is tough to take.
    Yea I suppose. Just not sure I like the fact he hasn't gone in and gave them the positives from the game told them to put it behind them and put the wrongs right in the next game rather than just avoid them until Monday.

Maybe it's a good thing bob didn't see the players after. We don't want any more injuries :D
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Bob was with his family today early afternoon enjoying the carol singers on Bromley High Street.

Stalker.

:-)

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Vincenzo said:

Don't see a problem with it. Good management as far as I am concerned and stops him saying anything in the heat of the moment.
    Agreed! Better said after some due consideration!
  • Options

Didn't realise they are now second. They were no better than we were. Fine margins in this division. Another striker in January and we can definately finish top six.

• Options
    Well I forgot it was an early kick and only watched the last 15 minutes live stream on the net. Difficult for me to get an overall impression of how we played, but from what I saw, Ipswich were more or less camped in our half and I thought it was inevitable that they would score. Maybe he should be looking at why it wasn't us piling on the pressure at the end of our home game. I think he's getting as frustrated as we are that he can't get that second striker.