Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BP to stick with January plan on signing new forward

Comments

• Options
    I'm available.
  • Options
    This sounds like an excuse not to sign anybody.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

This sounds like an excuse not to sign anybody.

Sounds like common sense.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but what is the harm in bringing someone in on a months loan to get us through the busy Christmas period
  • Options
    We are one striker off being a playoff team in my opinon, more or less everything else is covered, with backup cover to some extent too... The second Vetokele is injured we are screwed.
  • Options
    it does sound a bit like that. Yes i agree that we shouldn't just bring in any old gumpf, but its painstakingly obvious we need decent cover and they have had plenty of time to look around at options, surely someone was good enough even just over the christmas period. Even someone like Rob Hulse (emphasis on the someone LIKE) where he can score goals but wont get loads, just to give us decent options and experience.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I'm sorry but what is the harm in bringing someone in on a months loan to get us through the busy Christmas period

M O N E Y .

RD wants to break even and you won't do that paying the wages of other club's players.
    You better get used to the fact, that there won't be many future loans.
  • Options

'someone' - 'anyone'

Firstly find one that is available for a month's loan and secondly assess whether or not they are better than what we have. I'd rather wait to sign someone on a permanent contract that is as good as Vetokele (BP hints at that when he talks about cost) than bring in a very short-term loan.
  • Options

It costs money to sign players

We lost over £5m last year

Would have been great to get an effective striker in but that's not the plan.

If the player and the money's not right then we're not going to change the plan (or at least that is how I see it)

Great move if we carry on as we have and stay in contention until we buy someone in January

Bad move if Igor gets injured or his, and the teams, goals dry up, so we start slipping down the table

But it is only a month.

RD is thinking long term. If you want short term and expensive fixes then think again.

Bumpy ride guys, bumpy ride.
  • Options
    Would be nice if they just extended Coquelin's loan. that would be something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't be sorry.
  • Options

If the player and the money's not right then we're not going to change the plan (or at least that is how I see it)

Great move if we carry on as we have and stay in contention until we buy someone in January

Bad move if Igor gets injured or his, and the teams, goals dry up, so we start slipping down the table

But it is only a month.

RD is thinking long term. If you want short term and expensive fixes then think again.

Vetokele is injured and the goals have dried up, only 9 in the last 11 games in case you had not noticed
  • Options
    Anyway, Church should be back soon?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

But it is only a month.

Vetokele is injured and the goals have dried up, only 9 in the last 11 games in case you had not noticed
    9th and two points off the Play-Offs, we are still in a strong postion considering the budgets we are fighting against in this league.
  • Options

M O N E Y .

RD wants to break even and you won't do that paying the wages of other club's players.
    You better get used to the fact, that there won't be many future loans.
    Covered End you're a right twat. We've just got Etheridge on loan :-)
    Don't be so hard on yourself emergency cover situations are the exception. :-)
  • Options
    We splashed out a million in wages to get Di Canio, and what a waste that turned out to be.........HANG ON........NO........he was brilliant !
  • Options

We splashed out a million in wages to get Di Canio, and what a waste that turned out to be.........HANG ON........NO........he was brilliant !

we were also in the prem then and had been for a while
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

The second Vetokele is injured we are screwed.

If only we did have a second Vetokele.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

The second Vetokele is injured we are screwed.

If only we did have a second Vetokele.
    surely he and the 1st vetokele will get in each others way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is all about results, on and off the pitch.

IF we remain in contention for the play-offs going into January and IF we then land someone like Bob says we are after, then great, job done.

IF the defence starts faltering, we start losing a few, get out of touch with the group near the top of the league - AND fail to land the kind of striker we need, then bad call.

We'll see. Just hope they can pull it off. We've got a real chance to get in the play offs at least.
  • Options
    Hmm Delort has only featured 7 times for Wigan, perhaps heel be available. That'd be a fun thread to re-open
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    CAFC loses money but the losses are coming down. Not so long ago they were £7m a year or £20m every three years.
    Loaning a striker might help for a few games but is it going to change our chances of reaching the play-offs?
    As per the story, the way to really change things including the gates is signing someone like Vetokele - someone like Coquelin someone with a wow factor.
    And if that is a permanent signing on a long term deal, they either help us to the play-offs or they are so good they generate a significant fee when sold.
    I don't want us to sell Vetokele but if we do a couple of years down the road then it is likely to be for more than our annual losses.

What I don't like about the article is the doubt in the language about trying to sign someone.

As we all know we will be a real challenger with a top second striker - either this season or next so let's not have any of this trying our best stuff. Landing Vetokele, Gudmundsson and now Coquelin on loan shows we can target and land quality players. The pay off for landing just two more quality players is immense. Just reaching sixth place will add to the value and credibility of our club.
    Unfortunately a decent striker is the most expensive part of the jigsaw, but at least the owner won't even blink if he sees the value of the next step up.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

'someone' - 'anyone'

Firstly find one that is available for a month's loan and secondly assess whether or not they are better than what we have. I'd rather wait to sign someone on a permanent contract that is as good as Vetokele (BP hints at that when he talks about cost) than bring in a very short-term loan.
    Agree with this.
  • Options
    People keep taking about money
    we was prepared to sign Delort so we must have money
    we were gonna offer that Brazilian 11K
    for 11K we must be able to get someone on loan

and @bobmunro all loans are a month at this stage, so I doubt any club would have an issue with a months loan
  • Options

and @bobmunro all loans are a month at this stage, so I doubt any club would have an issue with a months loan

That's a good point but...
    We obviously dodged a bullet with Delort and we don't know who else we tried to secure last August
    And the downside of loans is that it pushes your own assets down the pecking order...there's a big debate about Harriott and Tucudean and how much game time you give them to make good...I've seen both look good at times.
    Looking forward to Saturday and may well go to the away game - would love to crash through with some glorious wins but this is Charlton and the road is longer - all good!

• Options
    edited November 2014

That's a good point but...
    We obviously dodged a bullet with Delort and we don't know who else we tried to secure last August
    And the downside of loans is that it pushes your own assets down the pecking order...there's a big debate about Harriott and Tucudean and how much game time you give them to make good...I've seen both look good at times.
    Looking forward to Saturday and may well go to the away game - would love to crash through with some glorious wins but this is Charlton and the road is longer - all good!

You're beginning to sound like @HenryIrving ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Speculate to accumulate. Surely it's sound business sense to spend on getting the final piece of the jigsaw in place, when we are so close the the huge riches that can be had in the Premiership. I'm sure Roland didn't get to where he is today by not taking any calculated risks.
  • Options
    The time to do the business was in the August transfer window. For whatever reason we didn't bring in the players we required. I can understand from a business point of view not bringing in a loan signing. From a football point of view we need somebody to take some of the goal scoring strain from a half fit Vetokele. Tucudean, Ahearne- Grant, Pigott and Church, in my opinion, are not good enough or not ready.
    As a team we are hard to beat, but there is no cutting edge. I can see us slowly moving down the table and by the January transfer window I think we will be halfway up the table. Would RD put his hand in his pocket then?
  • Options

But it is only a month.

We have to stick to this plan as well. We all want quality players and to push on as a result of the decent first half of the season. But this has to be balanced against making sure we don't end up over stretching ourselves.

We're almost at a year of RD's reign. He would've spent a lot of money over this past year, given BP the squad he thinks capable of competing.

We know we are a decent match as long as certain players play, but even with that we're probably going to finish 10th. Even if we do get another striker it might not even guarantee play offs. This is such a bastard league. We've seen teams like Brighton go hard for it and not quite get there.

It may sound like a cop out but I'm happy to have a couple of stable years in the Champ under the current plan, as I don't think we realise how bad it was financially this time last year.