Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Ipswich Town | Sat 29th Nov | 12:15pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview and Predictions

Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town
12:15pm Kick-Off (Live on Sky)
Referee –Darren Bond

INTRODUCTION

We just do not seem to be able to beat Millwall, do we? As George Tucudean raced through on goal, those (few) years of hurt seemed like they were going to be over.

But, a combination of poor finishing, good defending and solid goalkeeping prevented the Addicks from securing their first win over their rivals in 18 years.

The next challenge for Bob Peeters’ side is to overcome an Ipswich side who currently sit in the play-offs.

If life on paper wasn’t tricky enough, the match will be on Sky, and with our recent shabby record on television, Saturday’s game is looking like it will be a very tough one indeed.

THE OPPOSITION

Mick McCarthy’s men have had an excellent season so far and they currently sit in 4th place, with 31 points.

In fact, a win at The Valley, could lift the Tractor Boys into second place and considering their budget and squad, being in 2nd place at this stage would be a fantastic achievement.

Ipswich have only lost one game out of the last 10 and recent results such a 2-2 away draw against Bournemouth and victories over Wolves and Watford, just highlights how strong McCarthy’s side are.

One of the reasons for their strong campaign so far, has been because of some impressive youngsters that have been involved in the first-team.

The likes of 21-year-old defender Tyrone Mings and 18-year-old midfielder Teddy Bishop have been superb and are attracting interest from Premier League teams.

ONE TO WATCH – DARYL MURPHY

My player to watch this weekend is Ipswich forward: Daryl Murphy.

The 31-year-old has been in spectacular form so far this season, scoring 11 league goals, already matching last year’s tally.

The former Sunderland and Celtic striker, is a tricky and clever player and has the ability to not only create chances, but convert them.

He’ll probably play on the left-side of a 4-3-3 alongside David McGoldrick and Paul Anderson, so Chris Solly will need to keep a close eye on the Republic of Ireland international, to ensure he has a quiet game.

LINE-UP

A few injury problems may determine what Peeters’ selection will be this weekend.

In goal, Nick Pope deputised well for Stephen Henderson who was ruled out of the Millwall game with a shoulder injury. It’s likely that if Henderson is fit, he’ll be selected ahead of Pope.

In defence, Solly, Tal Ben-Haim, Andre Bikey and Morgan Fox should continue with Oguchi Onyewu and Joe Gomez most probably on the bench.

In midfield, Yoni Buyens is a doubt due to a hamstring injury, if fit, he may play alongside Johnnie Jackson and Francis Coquelin.

Jordan Cousins may be selected in the middle to allow Callum Harriott to drift over to the left, if Buyens is not available to start.

On the right, Johann Berg Gudmundsson should be selected following an excellent performance against Millwall.

Up-front, Igor Vetokele should be fit, while Tucudean will be in contention, despite missing that chance last Saturday.

Charlton Athletic - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

Ipswich seem a similar side in terms of style and squad, and with a possibility of six central midfielders on display, I can see this being a tight 1-1 draw.

How do you see this one going?

Comments

• The binary bores march on with another emphatic 0-0 victory
    And George once again misses a sitter, to keep himself in the frame for a starting position , rather than encourage investment in the team and find himself further down the pecking order
    Oh the joys of FFP and modern day football , where it's as much played out on the balance sheet as the playing field
    Still at least the accountants are excited by all this
  • It's unlikely that we can avoid at least one defeat at home, and this might well be it. I am very disappointed that we have not been able to fill the void alongside Igor up front, and for me it's Ahearn Grant ahead of George now.
  • We are binary
    I said we are binary!

1-0
  • 2-0 charlton... will we ever see this scoreline in the league this season!?!?! Saturday is the day! COYR
  • edited November 2014
    3-0 Charlton, completely against the form book (in terms of goals), looking great for once for the Sky cameras. I can dream.
  • We are binary
    I said we are binary!

1-0

Billhooks!!!

Forgot about Sky coverage... 0-3 to the Tractor Boys
  • Fancy a more open game than some people expect. Ipswich will come to attack us with their in-form strikers which should play into our hands.

3-1 to Charlton!
  • I think we'll lose this one...
  • 2-1 with Harriotts annual wonder goal clinching it

• COYA!
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a bad feeling about this. A TV game and a lunchtime kick off are historically not good for us. 3-1 defeat.
  • Just feel that we may win this. Also hope that Igor and Johann Berg Gudmundsson are now 100% fit as there's been no midweek football of any description. If those two are firing we look a completely different side.

3-1 win.

• TV is the kiss of death on any Charlton performance and Sky is the worst of all.

0-1 with 98th minute own goal from Bikey OR 0-3 defeat after Bikey send off after 10mins for head butting the linesman

Am I the only one finding this season about as exciting as a wet week-end in Antwerp?
  • I hope Igor has a striking partner in this game
  • 3-1 to BP's Red & too much White Army.
  • I can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them. A double for Murphy.
  • edited November 2014
    We finally get found out as our Belgian league 1 team struggle to 0-5 defeat for the sixteenth time this season and RD rubs his Eurohands all the way to the bank of Brussels.

Wibble.
  • I have a bad feeling about this. A TV game and a lunchtime kick off are historically not good for us. 3-1 defeat.

THIS.

• TV is the kiss of death on any Charlton performance and Sky is the worst of all.

0-1 with 98th minute own goal from Bikey OR 0-3 defeat after Bikey send off after 10mins for head butting the linesman

Am I the only one finding this season about as exciting as a wet week-end in Antwerp?

Agreed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Where did all those goals for Daryl Murphy come from? A purple patch when you look at his previous record.

A tight game, 1-1
  • NomSoup said:

I hope Igor has a striking partner in this game

That's the post for me. Let us give ourselves a chance. The only drawback is what becomes of the midfield. I'm still not sure about JJ in a central 2, and how we are exposed. I could see it working if Coquelin is in with him, not Buyens.

I think Ipswich will be the hardest game we will have had at home all season
  • 1-1 or 1-2

Been thinking the same the past few weeks. It's great we're not losing don't get me wrong but overall I found the past few months rather dull to watch.

2 up front please Bob

• 4-4 for old times sake.
  • Too early for the fans and too early for the players. The fans won't have time for a pre-match beer and the players will be drinking post-match beers when the fans would normally be drinking pre-match beers. Slow start, 0-0 at the break, whichever team wakes up after half time should win 1-0.
  • Thai is spot on. These early kicks off generally lead to a dour atmosphere and energy. 1-1.
  • Shackles off we attack non-stop and lose 3 - 4 but it will be entertaining and that's what matters
  • Shackles off we attack non-stop and lose 3 - 4 but it will be entertaining and that's what matters

Oh no it doesn't
  • Hopefully TBH and Bikey can keep Murphy wrapped up. Two up front please Big Bob, Igor needs the support. I can see Bulot starting instead of Harriott.

It's my heart talking here as Ipswich are a very good side but I can see us nicking this 2-0 in a very tight game. An early goal from us and after considerable Ipswich pressure we score a clincher in the last five minutes.

Igor and JBG to score.