Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dominican Republic

Anyone been? What's it like? A bit big, crowded and touristy or are there still unspoilt corners?

Comments

• Only done all inclusive but it's lovely.

Nowhere near as busy as your Mexicos and Jamaicas and the locals have always been extremely polite and welcoming.
  • Not much help to you but we've just booked to go to Punta Cana in the first week of May. I've been to quite a few parts of the world but have always skipped the Caribbean, so it's a first for us down there.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/royal-beach-punta-cana/elegant-accommodations
  • Stone said:

Not much help to you but we've just booked to go to Punta Cana in the first week of May. I've been to quite a few parts of the world but have always skipped the Caribbean, so it's a first for us down there.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/royal-beach-punta-cana/elegant-accommodations

Been to Punta Cana a couple of times, you will love it. Beautiful beaches, lovely friendly people. Stayed in Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana on one holiday, about the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I hope you have a lovely time as long as you don't mind the long flight.
  • Literally just come back from Punta Cana, Bavaro Beach
  • Went for our honeymoon back in May/June.

Stayed at Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Staff, food, drink and weather were brilliant, and no kids allowed which was a right bonus.

One negative was the beach being on the Atlantic Ocean, as opposed to the Caribbean sea, which is meant to be nicer.

Oh and there's a lot of Americans!
  • Is there much history/culture or is it mainly a beach holiday type thing ? Can you go over to Haiti for a couple of days or is that too dodgy ?

Thinking of going next year.
  • I got married there booked it with Thomas cook stayed at the rui complex 3 hotels on one site that you can use any time.36 of my family out there enjoyed every minute of it.
  • Thanks, guys.
  • Watch out for the sand fleas
  • Stayed in hotel in Sosua 2010. Hotel nice but didn't think much of the surroundings or the nearest larger town of puerto Plata.

Lots of Americans and even more Canadians. Rained for three days solid(went in March ) couldn't fault hotel and the staff though and think the weather put a bit of a downer on how we felt about the place.

Wife conceived out eldest though so not all bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• I backpacked there for three weeks in 1996. There's plenty of culture as well as beaches. I visited Santa Domingo during the annual merengue festival, basically their equivalent of carnival, which was great fun. Didn't even know beforehand that it was going on. Plenty of beaches, both crowded and quiet, though certain areas are completely dominated by soulless all-inclusive resorts. There are several areas of natural beauty worth visiting and plenty of bars, restaurants and the food and drink were at that time very reasonably priced. As it was several years ago that I went I really can't remember any names of places but do a web search.

It's possible to go into Haiti, though after crossing the border, we found it quite intimidating. You leave this relaxed, predominantly Spanish region and suddenly you're encountering hundreds of black, French speaking people, trying to get you onto buses, sell you stuff you don't want, practically dragging and pushing you. Without a guidebook it was impossible to really know where the buses were going and after twenty minutes we hopped back over the border to the much more civilised Dom Rep. It may be different now.
  • The draw for the DR is the number of all inclusives ranging from super cheap but still clean to luxury. If you are looking to drink/eat a lot with a Number of activities, it can be a lot of fun. The beaches are just ok. If you are looking for tranquility or stunning beaches you are better served going to St. John, bVI, Turks or some of the more remote islands of the Bahamas. Theses however are not all inclusive and are more expensive.
  • Worst holiday I've ever had. But lots of people go there so perhaps it was me.
    All you can drink and eat holidays encourage a lot of people who try to eat and vast amounts of food 24 hours a day for 14 days.
    I had 3 days out 14 that i thought was ok, one of those was snorkerling on a coral reef. Worth doing doing but not something you cant do some where better.
  • Santo Domingo is worth a visit. It was Columbus's capital of the New World. But, it is a long journey from the beach resorts of Bavaro and Puerto Plata. It is a beautiful country. Lots of Jurassic Park was filmed there.
  • Bavaro. Lovely
  • Went to punta Cana stayed at the Bahia Príncipe. Beautiful country, not as busy as your Mexico etc. some stunning beaches and a fair bit of history about, from local pirates to the making of rum and cigars. Had a lovely time.
  • Went back in 1991, lovely country, went on quite a few trips which were good value. We stayed in Sosua room only which was good as we went to all the local restraunts (food was generally very good)....so wouldn't bother with all inclusive. Flew out there with Monarch via Bangor (Maine USA) can't quite remember the holiday firm we booked it with though.
  • MrOneLung said:

Stayed in hotel in Sosua 2010. Hotel nice but didn't think much of the surroundings or the nearest larger town of puerto Plata.

Lots of Americans and even more Canadians. Rained for three days solid(went in March ) couldn't fault hotel and the staff though and think the weather put a bit of a downer on how we felt about the place.

Wife conceived out eldest though so not all bad.

TMI , MOL !

Guess you called him Sosua ?

• Ha, no called him Max after one of the hotel staff we got friendly with - oh hang on a minute !!!