Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Make the World Cup Bidding Process Transparent and Fair

Most Lifers probably know Lewes FC, which is a fan-owned, democratic, non-league football club. Although Charlton and Lewes very rarely (if ever?) play, the two clubs' women's teams often tussle in league and cup matches, at a high standard. Lewes FC is, in many ways, a model of how football clubs should be run: for the community, the fans and the players.

FIFA, on the other hand, is a very different beast. Its biggest, most-important tournament - the "FIFA" World Cup - is run, owned, administered and dictated by FIFA, an almost-entirely un-representative, un-elected, unaccountable group of "suits", who are as far removed from fair, open and grass-roots football as I could imagine.

So, when I saw this recent change.org petition, I was really interested. The people who - successfully, and fairly - run Lewes FC have devised a simple, transparent and open method for FIFA to select the host nation for the World Cup. It's so easy that even FIFA administrators would understand it. I think it's a great idea. You can see the idea on the link below and, if you agree it's a good idea, you can sign the petition to add to the pressure on FIFA to clean up their act, properly.

Link

If you think it's a good idea, sign the petition; if you don't, then it would be interesting to see - here - what better methods you might have. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Comments

• Options
    Outrageously sensible proposal, clearly conjured up by the kind of crackpot lunatics who think there's a place for honesty and integrity in football.
  • Options
    They clearly haven't thought this idea through properly. How would FIFA execs receive bribes under this system?
  • Options
    Where do you find an independent consultancy that isn't susceptible to bribery or being accused of bias.

Say it was a French based firm and France got the bid. What would be the first thing said? "fix".

I like the other bits about clear and published criteria, limits on spending, reports on suitability etc.

But then it should go to a vote to every FIFA member country and that country should show how it reached its decision

That way they have to bribe 200+ people rather than 12 delegates on the committee deciding

Won't be perfect but better than now.

I believe the IOC have moved to something similar
  • Options
    How would the consultancy be chosen? What country would the consultancy be based in?
  • Options

How would the consultancy be chosen? What country would the consultancy be based in?

Thanks Colin :- )
  • Options
    Simple - draw the winner out of a hat - the FIFA President can draw it.

I've got a nagging doubt there's a flaw in my proposal but can't put my finger on it.
  • Options
    Please sign the petition if you think the idea has merit.
  • Options
    Any alternative that a sensible organisation could suggest would be better than the current system, but isn't it naive to think FIFA would change anything even if a petition is delivered signed by half the World's population. Rizzo got it spot on, both a joke and the truth.

You need to hit FIFA in their pocket. If the grass roots supporters around the World made it clear that FIFA was poison and put pressure on sponsors that they would boycott their products we might start to get somewhere.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Simple - draw the winner out of a hat - the FIFA President can draw it.

I can draw a hat too, they're easy but I always struggle with beards.