Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brown and the Bigot/Miliband and the Bacon Sandwich

A couple of random thoughts while waiting for the champ season to restart and before England play the Springboks, or whatever the South African RU team is called nowadays.

We all know the story: Gordon Brown was caught supposedly privately slating a woman he had just been chatting to while his microphone was still turned on. Very embarrassing, being rude about a potential voter, whatever next ?. So what does he do?... he races back to her little house, goes inside and spends a good long time grovelingly apologising for his comments, even though he probably, rightly or wrongly, still considered her a bigot .. Brown of course was the Prime Minister of the UK at the time. I have little time for Brown, why does not matter. However, I would have had a lot more time and respect for him if when challenged about his comments he would have said words to the effect of: .. 'You know what, that is what I think of her, you press people and the public at large might disagree, I don't care, I consider her to be a bigot, so there, put that in your Rizla and smoke it'

Ed and the bacon sarnie: Ed is Jewish, Jews are not known for their bacon consumption, bacon, indeed all pork products are non-kosher. I do not know if Miliband is a strict follower of Jewish dietary laws and practices, whatever, he has probably not eaten bacon regularly during his lifetime, if at all.
During a 'photo-op', somebody in his entourage or perhaps a mischief making newshound decides that to make Ed look more like a common man of the proletariat, he should be pictured getting to grips with said bacon sandwich. Ed was probably horrified at the idea but went ahead anyway. What he should have said to the provider of the sandwich is something like: ..' I am Jewish, I don't eat bacon, take that away and bring me a fruity bagel and don't ever offer me a pork product again'

The point ? Personally, I would have more time for them if the majority of politicians who are after my vote were more real and true to themselves rather than acting a role that they think the public demands of them .. tell less lies boys, less propaganda, less smoke & mirrors and thereby possibly spend longer in power and gather more respect from those who you profess to want to 'serve'.

Comments

• Options

A couple of random thoughts while waiting for the champ season to restart and before England play the Springboks, or whatever the South African RU team is called nowadays.

We all know the story: Gordon Brown was caught supposedly privately slating a woman he had just been chatting to while his microphone was still turned on. Very embarrassing, being rude about a potential voter, whatever next ?. So what does he do?... he races back to her little house, goes inside and spends a good long time grovelingly apologising for his comments, even though he probably, rightly or wrongly, still considered her a bigot .. Brown of course was the Prime Minister of the UK at the time. I have little time for Brown, why does not matter. However, I would have had a lot more time and respect for him if when challenged about his comments he would have said words to the effect of: .. 'You know what, that is what I think of her, you press people and the public at large might disagree, I don't care, I consider her to be a bigot, so there, put that in your Rizla and smoke it'

Ed and the bacon sarnie: Ed is Jewish, Jews are not known for their bacon consumption, bacon, indeed all pork products are non-kosher. I do not know if Miliband is a strict follower of Jewish dietary laws and practices, whatever, he has probably not eaten bacon regularly during his lifetime, if at all.
    During a 'photo-op', somebody in his entourage or perhaps a mischief making newshound decides that to make Ed look more like a common man of the proletariat, he should be pictured getting to grips with said bacon sandwich. Ed was probably horrified at the idea but went ahead anyway. What he should have said to the provider of the sandwich is something like: ..' I am Jewish, I don't eat bacon, take that away and bring me a fruity bagel and don't ever offer me a pork product again'

The point ? Personally, I would have more time for them if the majority of politicians who are after my vote were more real and true to themselves rather than acting a role that they think the public demands of them .. tell less lies boys, less propaganda, less smoke & mirrors and thereby possibly spend longer in power and gather more respect from those who you profess to want to 'serve'.

boris johnson seems to be like that but is thought of many as either being a blundering idiot or so calculated that he deliberately acts like that and it's all just an act to get trust in the same way you describe. Being a politician is a very tough job, which is why most of them are absolutely crazy.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    IAgree said:

Your point bring to have a very predictable swipe at Labour dressed up as a point.

what the f**k are you on about ?
  • Options

IAgree said:

Your point bring to have a very predictable swipe at Labour dressed up as a point.

what the f**k are you on about ?
    Oh I am sorry terrible speller!
  • Options
    Or perhaps he just eats bacon?
  • Options
    The leader of the Labour Party is Jewish, as you say, but he is also the son of a Marxist.
    It is no secret that he has stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't believe in God.
    It is, presumably, fine, therefore that he does believe in bacon.
    Personally I'm happy with all of that but I can see that members of the Jewish faith (not to mention the Muslim one) might not be. It's just his utter incompetence that concerns me. (Although, presumably. he would have to be wearing his hypocrite's hat if he got elected as PM when dealing with all the side-show religious mumbo-jumbo that goes on in and around parliament and when communicating with QEII.)
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Your point being to have a very predictable swipe at Labour dressed up as a point.

• Options
    Ed Miliband is an atheist, he eats bacon.
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Your point being to have a very predictable swipe at Labour dressed up as a point.

heaven forbid anyone take any critical view on the labour party. FALL IN LINE COMRADE LINCS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree but I don't think they're really worried about you, Lincs. They're worried about how it will poll.

It's all just a numbers game at the end of the day.
  • Options

IAgree said:

heaven forbid anyone take any critical view on the labour party. FALL IN LINE COMRADE LINCS

I think what IAgree was getting at is Lincs decided to start a thread regarding politicians being honest yet chose (deliberately?) to highlight examples of the Labour (left wing?) persuasion. He could of course looked for an example of Tory (right wing?) dishonesty to show that he was impartial to the idea of said dishonesty but for whatever reason chose not to. I personally think if you're going to go down the route then at least make sure you're at least not living in a glass house.
  • Options

IAgree said:

I think what IAgree was getting at is Lincs decided to start a thread regarding politicians being honest yet chose (deliberately?) to highlight examples of the Labour (left wing?) persuasion. He could of course looked for an example of Tory (right wing?) dishonesty to show that he was impartial to the idea of said dishonesty but for whatever reason chose not to. I personally think if you're going to go down the route then at least make sure you're at least not living in a glass house.
    what does it matter if it was left or right? Your reaction highlights your bias rather than lincs imo.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if left or right, you're absolutely correct. My post was a request for impartiality if people were going to go down that route. Why you chose to use my post to insinuate something about my beliefs I don't know nor do I particularly care. Crack on tho, if it suits your purpose.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    C_A_F_C said:

you know this for a fact do you (other than in front of a camera) ?

To clear up any idea of bias on my part, at least in this post, my 2 examples were of politicians being held to ridicule in some quarters after seemingly giving in to public relations situations perhaps despite their better judgements .. as to politicians in general, many/most/some (choose your option) of whatever party, they need to man up, stand by their convictions and tell more of the truth about their beliefs and opinions
  • Options
    edited November 2014

The sad fact in all of this is that the press think and are correct in thinking that publishing a less than flattering picture of the Leader of The Labour Party eating a bacon sandwich will help not getting him elected. How fucking far has the British electorate fallen that this is not laughed off as a piece of irrelevance. I despair.

or you know, it's just funny. I think it's just you and the daily mail readers that think it was published to have any relevance to how he would govern.
  • Options

The sad fact in all of this is that the press think and are correct in thinking that publishing a less than flattering picture of the Leader of The Labour Party eating a bacon sandwich will help not getting him elected. How fucking far has the British electorate fallen that this is not laughed off as a piece of irrelevance. I despair.

or you know, it's just funny. I think it's just you and the daily mail readers that think it has any relevance to how he would govern.
    If it wasn't so serious I agree with you.

• Options

mind you, many of the 'Private Eye' covers are hilarious, any and everyone is grist to the PE ridicule mill
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

C_A_F_C said:

you know this for a fact do you (other than in front of a camera) ?

To clear up any idea of bias on my part, at least in this post, my 2 examples were of politicians being held to ridicule in some quarters after seemingly giving in to public relations situations perhaps despite their better judgements .. as to politicians in general, many/most/some (choose your option) of whatever party, they need to man up, stand by their convictions and tell more of the truth about their beliefs and opinions
    Do you have any reason to believe he doesn't eat Bacon? Do you really believe he'd set up a photo of himself looking worse for wear eating a bacon butty thinking that it would make him appeal to the electorate?
  • Options
    IAgree said:

To expand on my original point;

If you wanted to question the sincerity of politicians there are plenty of wonderful examples from all political backgrounds. Why these two I wonder? Because they are Labour and it fits in with the overwhelmingly Conservative / UKIP / Right wing viewpoint of most posters on this site.

Howls of " but we have plenty of posters with different political views!" Or " I have never voted for any of these parties!"

The reality is that if anyone left of centre posts opinions re politics it is they who are ridiculed, undermined and castigated. They are " Deluded" " Liars" " Lefties" " Childish" ( just from the last reopen days) and responsible for virtually every ill ever to befall this country. They are automatically have of all the opinions most of you hate.

The initial post was a sycophantic and lazy appeal to all the usual right wing ranters on CL to have a mutually satisfying moan -in.

By the way I realy don't care how someone eats any sandwich, or what the filling is.

Anyway carry on moaning!

Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying;

Kettle
    Black
    Calling
    Pot
    The
  • Options
    Addickted said:

IAgree said:

If you wanted to question the sincerity of politicians there are plenty of wonderful examples from all political backgrounds. Why these two I wonder? Because they are Labour and it fits in with the overwhelmingly Conservative / UKIP / Right wing viewpoint of most posters on this site.

Howls of " but we have plenty of posters with different political views!" Or " I have never voted for any of these parties!"

The reality is that if anyone left of centre posts opinions re politics it is they who are ridiculed, undermined and castigated. They are " Deluded" " Liars" " Lefties" " Childish" ( just from the last reopen days) and responsible for virtually every ill ever to befall this country. They are automatically have of all the opinions most of you hate.

The initial post was a sycophantic and lazy appeal to all the usual right wing ranters on CL to have a mutually satisfying moan -in.

By the way I realy don't care how someone eats any sandwich, or what the filling is.

Anyway carry on moaning!

Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying;

Kettle
    Black
    Calling
    Pot
    The
    Pot calling the kettle black ?

I claim my prize

• Options
    IAgree said:

Anyway carry on moaning!

hahaha .. sycophantic.. written by a syphilitic little twerp no doubt .. oh .. are we sure that we have the correct words here ?
  • Options
    I hate the phrase 'pot calling the kettle black'. Each vessel has been honourably coated in soot due to heating duties, does it mean one dirty pot is calling the other pot dirty, when indeed they are dirty themselves?
    Or is the use of 'black' in this phrase open to a more distasteful interpretation?
    There's the fly in the woodpile I would suggest.
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Anyway carry on moaning!

You might aid your case by posting things that made sense. You need to check what your posting. It's very difficult to have a discussion, with a post that makes little sense. Are you using predictive text ?
  • Options

IAgree said:

Anyway carry on moaning!

You might aid your case by posting things that made sense. You need to check what your posting. It's very difficult to have a discussion, with a post that makes little sense. Are you using predictive text ?
    hahaha .. predictive text translated straight from the original Gibberish
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I respectfully disagree and I would say the same if we were talking about David Cameron.

As the PM you need to show an air of authority, calm assurance etc.
    How will Milliband cope with all the problems that will be thrown at him as PM of this country, if he looks totally uncomfortable and totally ill at ease, eating a sandwich and giving 2p to a homeless person ?
    Also why would you be so utterly foolish to give 2p to a homeless person?

I'm afraid he fills me with zero confidence to be our PM and I would say the same if I was a Labour supporter, as do my Labour supporting mates, who say they couldn't possibly vote for Labour, whilst he is in charge.

To give a Charlton analogy. Joe Pigott looked totally uncomfortable/ill at ease/rabbitt caught in the headlights, on his League debut against Millwall, so it wouldn't make me confident that he could play centre forward for England/Man U.
  • Options

IAgree said:

Anyway carry on moaning!

hahaha .. predictive text translated straight from the original Gibberish
    Is gibberish Yiddish ?

I'm an atheist and I don't eat bacon.