Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    MrOneLung said:

As Gary Neville said, it would be once every 24 years or so to hold a world cup in that area, so is it really an issue?

It will be, every 24 years
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Fiiish said:

MrOneLung said:

As Gary Neville said, it would be once every 24 years or so to hold a world cup in that area, so is it really an issue?

If we were disrupting the calendar to accomodate a country that genuinely deserved to host the cup, then fair enough. However we're talking about disrupting nearly every major league as well as disrupting things like the Africa Cup of Nations for a country that:

has no major league
    has no football history
    has a horrible human rights record
    likely won the vote through underhanded means
    has a growing death toll in relation to hosting this tournament

I surprised FIFA hasn't realised that the aggro really isn't worth it and having a u-turn now would be the first bit of good PR it would've had for several years.
    has no major league - What you talking about, we have the Qatar Stars League which qualify for the AFC club championship, with El Karkouri and Bougherra still playing.

has no football history - My local club (Al Khor) dates back to 1959 i'll have you know

has a horrible human rights record - Yeah, can't defend that one

likely won the vote through underhanded means - i'll stay quiet on this one

has a growing death toll in relation to hosting this tournament - I actually reckon its going down, not up. There are more safety standards here in construction and in general than before.
  • Options
    Depends where you get the figures from i guess.
    The population as a whole has grown massively in the 8 years i have been here, so all stats are growing along with the population, but there has been a huge push on health and safety here over the past 2-3 years, and i've even seen some hard hats on site ;-)
    They still have a long way to go before they reach 'western' safety standards, but its slowly moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    Whoosh.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Whoosh.

If it pleases you.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a massive problem if the world cup was spread across the gulf/middle east, but Qatar is tiny, way too small to host a big tournament like that. They will build the stadiums on time and put on a show, by throwing money at it, but as everyone knows its not in the interests of football or the world cup.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Blatter even deciding the dates himself - obviously wants to be home well in time for Christmas.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the Qatar 2022 World Cup final should be played no later than 18 December.

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31664424
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015

I wouldn't have a massive problem if the world cup was spread across the gulf/middle east, but Qatar is tiny, way too small to host a big tournament like that. They will build the stadiums on time and put on a show, by throwing money at it, but as everyone knows its not in the interests of football or the world cup.

I assume the reason Riga went to Qatar to help with an academy there was that they're desperate to develop the basis of a team that can maybe get past the group stage. Therefore they would also be throwing money at their youth development now. I realise that it's still only 2015, but is there any sign of progress?
  • Options
    I imagine they will import and naturalize a number of mercenaries.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31688474

I've decided to re-write to give it a more factual basis.

A report by the Fare network and Sova Center highlights more than 200 cases of discriminatory behaviour linked to Russian football over two seasons.

"I am aware of the report - sure we are concerned, definitely. I told this network and center that this report should be buried along with Boris Nemtsov. Please, don't ask me how I knew Boris was going to die at about the same time the report came out, it was just a feeling I had in my water,"

Blatter told Associated Press.

In 2014, he asked Russian President Vladimir Putin to tackle tickle racism.

Blatter spoke last July to Putin about the need to prioritise hide the tackling problem of racism, but and if there have are to been be more cases, including specifically in Champions League matches, then it is okay as long as the appropriate people receive the appropriate money to cover the potential interest from the bloody press.

"Racism is one of the items which is on my agenda on the very top, every day. In fact, I regularly think, what a bloody good world it might have been if Hitler had won the war, and Europe was an Aryan state. If it does not stop then there must be some sanctions It will never stop because I enjoy seeing migrant workers perish on construction sites in Qatar. In fact, the executive committee and I have done a sweep stake on which World Cup will see the most deaths of poor workers who build the stadiums. Brazil was bitterly disappointing, although we had a bit of fun seeing whether or not some of the stadiums would be built on time. Unfortunately Russia already has some infrastructure, so we must hope Putin becomes more engaged in trying to take back the former Soviet bloc, so they suffer from a lack of funds. And finally Qatar is coming along nicely." Blatter said.
  • Options

Depends where you get the figures from i guess.
    The population as a whole has grown massively in the 8 years i have been here, so all stats are growing along with the population, but there has been a huge push on health and safety here over the past 2-3 years, and i've even seen some hard hats on site ;-)
    They still have a long way to go before they reach 'western' safety standards, but its slowly moving in the right direction.

Just to put that into context: London Olympics = zero deaths.

That's the target. Reducing the death toll from 1,200 to, say, 800 year on year might be a decent percentage drop and show that those shockingly rich Qataris are doing their (minimal) best to not kill so many slaves, but that's still about 800 deaths above the acceptable amount.

Also, if you've got a source that shows a sudden drop in passport confiscations, that'd be good too...
  • Options
    @JiMMy 85 like i said , it depends where you get the figures from.
    ucatt.org.uk/london-construction-deaths-double-after-mayor-ignores-safety-call
    londonist.com/2011/06/first-fatality-on-olympic-park-as-storms-sweep-london.php

I am not saying that everything is all fine here, far from it, but there is a high possibility that the figures bounded about are general and not specific to 2022 projects.
    I can look out of my window at home and watch the guys building the upper part of the villa opposite me in flip flops on wooden scaffolding (rammed into breeze blocks) without a harness or hard hat. You don't need to tell me there's some safety standards lacking.
  • Options
    The sentiments reported in this piece are beyond parody, beyond comprehension and beyond the pale.

---

BBC News, 16 April 2015 Last updated at 20:08

Fifa president Sepp Blatter likened to Jesus & Nelson Mandela

Sepp Blatter has been likened to Jesus, Nelson Mandela and Winston Churchill as 10 Concafaf members gave their backing to the incumbent for the Fifa presidency elections in May. The declarations were made at the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) congress. Dominican Republic FA president Osiris Guzman compared the Swiss to iconic historical figures, also including Moses, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King.

"Membership is sending a message that we continue to support Blatter," said Concafaf president Jeffrey Webb.

Blatter is one of four candidates. The others are ex-Portugal international Luis Figo, Dutch FA chief Michael van Praag and Jordanian Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein, who, along with Blatter, were all present at Thursday's congress, but did not give speeches.

The Trinidad & Tobago Football Association praised Blatter, 79, as the "father of football". The heads of football federations from Jamaica, Haiti, Turks & Caicos, Cuba, Panama, St Vincent & the Grenadines and Puerto Rico also expressed their support for Blatter, who is seeking a fifth term in office - having been in power since 1998.

There are 41 Concacaf member associations.

The election will take place in Zurich on 30 May.

• Options
    No wonder he has such power ... So many people with so many envelopes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    stonemuse said:

No wonder he has such power ... So many people with so many envelopes.

Concacaf has seen a fair few cases of rum sent on behalf of the fat disease since 1998 no doubt
  • Options
    The thing that is the most upsetting of all – is the slave workers and predictions of deaths constructing the stadiums made from the very beginning which have come true. I do think more has to be made of this and I do expect some players will boycott. Some are sufficiently politically aware. If I was an international footballer, I would refuse to play in the tournament. What glory can be derived from the blood and suffering of others?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Complete joke. Get that fat cnut Blatter out as a migrant worker and ask him to remain indefinitely until all the stadiums have been built. I would like to see him take a real hands on approach to the 2022 WC. It could be his lasting legacy to football.

The whole process from the date, the location to the investigation of corruption is bullshit. In an ideal world we'd all just refuse to watch it in the 2022/23 season and focus on Leagues 1& 2 and non league. Can you imagine, just a mass mobilisation of people refusing to watch it. I'd love it
  • Options
    Well of course it is/was!! Never in doubt
  • Options
    Fans have power if the refuse to watch it and threaten to boycott products associated with the tournament. But people no longer understand the power they have and are largely controlled by the big corporations.
  • Options

Fans have power if the refuse to watch it and threaten to boycott products associated with the tournament. But people no longer understand the power they have and are largely controlled by the big corporations.

I really think the time for that boycott is now - the pressure is becoming overwhelming and if the major sponsors kick off enough then that could tip the balance.

I wonder if our own club have any agreements with any of the major sponsors?
  • Options
    I don't drink Coca Cola or eat MacShite so how am I going to boycott them?
  • Options

I don't drink Coca Cola or eat MacShite so how am I going to boycott them?

They don't know that
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Individuals cannot effectively boycott FIFA - only national/regional associations. UEFA announce that all their member countries will not take part in qualification for the 2018 World Cup unless the entire executive, including the president, resign with immediate effect - result, FIFA would collapse.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Individuals cannot effectively boycott FIFA - only national/regional associations. UEFA announce that all their member countries will not take part in qualification for the 2018 World Cup unless the entire executive, including the president, resign with immediate effect - result, FIFA would collapse.

Solidarity.
    United we stand, divided we fall.
    And if our backs should ever be against the wall
    We'll be together
    Together, you and I.

But will there ever be solidarity even in UEFA?

• Options
    Apparently an Aussie senator is calling for a $40 m refund of the costs of mounting their 2022 bid. Ignoring the question of how the **** it could cost that much to bid to host a footy tournament in an honest manner, it seems the way to deal with FIFA could be for all the losing bidders to sue FIFA thus hopefully sending that organisation into bankruptcy!
  • Options

Apparently an Aussie senator is calling for a $40 m refund of the costs of mounting their 2022 bid. Ignoring the question of how the **** it could cost that much to bid to host a footy tournament in an honest manner, it seems the way to deal with FIFA could be for all the losing bidders to sue FIFA thus hopefully sending that organisation into bankruptcy!

Are you joking ? If FIFA had to pay £20m to every losing bidder it wouldn't even notice such are their cash reserves, plus Qatar would probably pick up the bill.