Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options

Every team on the planet fails, apart from one, so some excuse will have to be trotted out for 31 other teams, and I really don't think a lack of complaints from journalists/managers is a terribly strong reason for a December world cup.
    Players in form late in the calendar year? Well, it works for Charlton every December obviously... :wink:

Total disruption for almost all the major leagues, certainly the ones where 99% of the major players are plying their trade. Leagues where they have a winter break are going to lose the best part of 10 weeks in the middle of the season. Presumably the lower leagues will continue to play, so crowds will probably be affected?
    And, the big one - they applied on the basis that the world cup is played in June/July. They lied about their capability.

Disagree. I have had the pleasure of watching football here in a climate controlled stadium. It was FIFA who pushed to change the timing.

The argument about major leagues is valid, but its not a competition for the major leagues.
  • Options

Every team on the planet fails, apart from one, so some excuse will have to be trotted out for 31 other teams, and I really don't think a lack of complaints from journalists/managers is a terribly strong reason for a December world cup.
    Players in form late in the calendar year? Well, it works for Charlton every December obviously... :wink:

Total disruption for almost all the major leagues, certainly the ones where 99% of the major players are plying their trade. Leagues where they have a winter break are going to lose the best part of 10 weeks in the middle of the season. Presumably the lower leagues will continue to play, so crowds will probably be affected?
    And, the big one - they applied on the basis that the world cup is played in June/July. They lied about their capability.

Disagree. I have had the pleasure of watching football here in a climate controlled stadium. It was FIFA who pushed to change the timing.

The argument about major leagues is valid, but its not a competition for the major leagues.
    Apologies - I was not aware of that. So all stadia were going to be climate controlled?

It is a competition where the major players all earn their day to day living from the major leagues, so the effect it has on them should be accounted for.
  • Options
    As far as i was aware Qatar could easily host the world cup in the summer, but as QatarNapsy says it was FIFA who decided to move it, based on the fact that Qatar can cool down the stadiums, but they can't cool down the whole country and fans still need to travel about in 45-50 degree heat
  • Options

Stadiums are coming along nicely here, massive road and rail infrastructure also ongoing.
    Had Greg Clarke (FA Chairman) over here this month looking at facilities etc and was publicly very supportive (no surprises). Seems the security will be handled by a UK firm too.

What company is doing the security?
  • Options
    Cheers

Though I thought he was Peter Kay's mate that did the dating show!?

UK has invested a lot in Qatar security, i wonder if G4S are being lined up...
  • Options

Apologies - I was not aware of that. So all stadia were going to be climate controlled?

It is a competition where the major players all earn their day to day living from the major leagues, so the effect it has on them should be accounted for.
    But what about Wesley Sneider? :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The reason it won't get moved is Qatar would sue FIFA. FIFA would be forced to defend against this by exposing the dishonesty which will open them up to more shame and a few people who slipped under the Radar may get caught. The simple fact is as it has always been. If it looks like a turd, and smells like a turd, even if you are still not sure it is a turd and want to taste it and it tastes like a turd! At what point do you admit it is a turd. FIFA are saying it is chocolate!

The fact is, the next two world cups are being held in two countries who are the best bribers in the business! Is that an amazing coincidence - according to FIFA it is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I believe it was Fifa who did change it because no player could play in 45*C+ weather, then the idea of climate control in all stadiums was dropped as it would be too costly.

The event was given to them for it to be hosted in the summer, end of.

The whole thing smells of corruption. Qatar neither has the footballing history nor ever qualified for a World Cup. They have atrocious human rights violations and lets not forget how they support the womens game. Oh wait, they dont allow women to play football, but lets look the other way, dont mention that.

Biggest sham ever.
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good story .........women play football here, women play rugby here, women play most sports here. In fact my kids went to watch the British Army womens team play football against the local womens team back in October.
  • Options

I believe it was Fifa who did change it because no player could play in 45*C+ weather, then the idea of climate control in all stadiums was dropped as it would be too costly.

The whole thing smells of corruption. Qatar neither has the footballing history nor ever qualified for a World Cup. They have atrocious human rights violations and lets not forget how they support the womens game. Oh wait, they dont allow women to play football, but lets look the other way, dont mention that.

Biggest sham ever.
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good story .........women play football here, women play rugby here, women play most sports here. In fact my kids went to watch the British Army womens team play football against the local womens team back in October.
    And indentured slaves build the stadiums
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Biggest sham ever.
    And indentured slaves build the stadiums
    That is a truth though :) And what is Qatar's position on homosexuality? With football's record so poor already in this area, I would expect that in itself to be a red flag - unless there were lots of dollars flooding into the relevant pockets to keep the flags down.

Of course the climate and insignificance of Qatar as a football nation - it isn't like developing the game in South Africa - Qatar will never be a football nation and even if it was, what would it matter to the world of football! Of course it wouldn't.
  • Options

Biggest sham ever.
    Somehow i don't think they're worried about cost!

They already have the cooling technology developed and tested. It was even in use at their cup final last year.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2022-world-cup-cooling-technology-all-you-need-to-know/feh3ywch67c4100bnh8w83jjt
  • Options

Biggest sham ever.
    They already have the cooling technology developed and tested. It was even in use at their cup final last year.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2022-world-cup-cooling-technology-all-you-need-to-know/feh3ywch67c4100bnh8w83jjt
    Was that Qatar City versus umm... Qatar City?
  • Options
    No.....united
  • Options

Biggest sham ever.
    Somehow i don't think they're worried about cost!

Well at the end of the days costs always come into it.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2013/04/qatar_2022_nine_stadium_instead_of_twelve

You can check the wiki and it currently only has 8 stadiums listed.

The bid was based on having the tournament in the summer, it should stay that way. Even good old Sepp said giving the games to Qatar was a mistake.
  • Options
    Can you get a bevvy there ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    That was reported on Newsnight, last night, tragic 'accident' that really should not have happened.
  • Options
    Whilst you can never guarantee 100% safety, I would be interested to know what assurances FIFA sought in terms of the safety and wellbeing of stadium construction workers in Qatar.
  • Options

FIFA have just confirmed the dates for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar

November 21st to December 18th

I can just see it now. Loads of England fans at the final dressed as Santa and Elves - singing jingle bells
  • Options
    While the 2022/23 season will now have a World Cup sized whole in the middle of it, it obviously won't just be the 4 weeks.
    With prep time before the tournament starts and rest time after before the league season can start again it will be a very strange season.

Also, the season before (21/22) may have to finish early to accommodate an early start to the 22/23 season, while the season after (23/24) will perhaps have to start late to allow for the late finish to the season.

So there is potential that this could cause scheduling problems and upheaval for three domestic seasons.
  • Options
    That really is shit
  • Options

While the 2022/23 season will now have a World Cup sized whole in the middle of it, it obviously won't just be the 4 weeks.
    With prep time before the tournament starts and rest time after before the league season can start again it will be a very strange season.

Also, the season before (21/22) may have to finish early to accommodate an early start to the 22/23 season, while the season after (23/24) will perhaps have to start late to allow for the late finish to the season.

So there is potential that this could cause scheduling problems and upheaval for three domestic seasons.

As long as Fifa's pockets are overrflowing they don't care
  • Options
    any fan even thinking of going to this should boycott on principal, the time difference is 2 hours so likely similar ko to russian games, will be strange packing into pubs in winter.