Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

12 data maps that sum up London - from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29915801

superb range of maps including Ethnicity, passports, shippingh in the Thames, lost property, football by twitter user and commuting.
Absolutely fascinating - click the link if you fancy losing a slice of time.

Comments

• Options
    Superb
  • Options
    Counts Fulham as a Premier League club, but then again this is the BBC so we can't exactly expect them to get anything about football right.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Counts Fulham as a Premier League club, but then again this is the BBC so we can't exactly expect them to get anything about football right.

It was for the 2013/14 season.

I love an infographic and I love London... going to buy the book

• Options
    Jints said:

Fiiish said:

Missed that. Makes sense I suppose since this season isn't finished yet.

Confirms what I knew about Tottenham i.e. hardly any fans in London itself, very much a Home Counties team. Either that or all their London fans don't have Twitter.
  • Options
    Bit like us then Fiish... personally though I know loads of Spurs fans in London so as much as I loathe them and whilst they no doubt have lots of support in Hertfordshire and Essex, they are as much a London club as we are. Half the people you meet on the street round Greenwich and Charlton seem to be Spurs or Arsenal fans!
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Jints said:

Fiiish said:

Confirms what I knew about Tottenham i.e. hardly any fans in London itself, very much a Home Counties team. Either that or all their London fans don't have Twitter.
    It's a very poor graphic that one. Support based on twitter messages with the club hashtagged. Not likely to get many over the age of 25 doing that!
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Jints said:

Fiiish said:

It's a very poor graphic that one. Support based on twitter messages with the club hashtagged. Not likely to get many over the age of 25 doing that!
    25? Really?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

It was all pulled together in 2011 wasn't it ?
  • Options
    Just finished reading (well browsing) that book. I thought it was excellent. I've put a little quiz together from it if anyone wants a go:

1. In which year did the population of London peak at 8.6m?
    2. Bovingdon, Ockham and Lambourne are three what?
    3. In only two London boroughs is 'Bus' the most popular method of transport to go to work. Which ones?
    4. Which tube line has the highest suicide rate?
    5. What in 2013 linked a kayak, a rottweiler, 510 watches and 6,570 items of clothing?
    6. What is the busiest day of the week for the 'Emirates Air Line' cable car?
    7. What are Yantlet, Barrow and Knob?
    8. Lancaster Gate to Paddington takes 18 minutes by tube. How long would it take walking at an average speed?
    9. Which borough has the highest number of drink related 999 calls?
    10. Visitors of which nationality spend most per head when visiting London?
    11. If all of a day's Metro papers with placed in a single stack, how many times higher than The Shard would it be?
    12. Which two locations in the Borough of Greenwich have protected views. Name them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    1. 2015
    2. Something to do with airspace
    3. tower hamlets and Lambeth
    4. District
    5. lost property
    6. none?
    7. Thames shipping lanes?
    8. 8 mins
    9. Camden
    10. China
    11. 3 times
    12 view from top of the park over Queens house and Royal Collage and somewhere overlooking the parade ground at Woolwich army barracks.

All guesses and mostly wrong i would bet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Just finished reading (well browsing) that book. I thought it was excellent. I've put a little quiz together from it if anyone wants a go:

1. In which year did the population of London peak at 8.6m?

2. Bovingdon, Ockham and Lambourne are three what?

Prisons?

3. In only two London boroughs is 'Bus' the most popular method of transport to go to work. Which ones?

Southwark and Camden?

4. Which tube line has the highest suicide rate?

Central surely

5. What in 2013 linked a kayak, a rottweiler, 510 watches and 6,570 items of clothing?

6. What is the busiest day of the week for the 'Emirates Air Line' cable car?

Mondays

7. What are Yantlet, Barrow and Knob?

Thames Tributaries

8. Lancaster Gate to Paddington takes 18 minutes by tube. How long would it take walking at an average speed?

9. Which borough has the highest number of drink related 999 calls?

Lambeth

10. Visitors of which nationality spend most per head when visiting London?

Russians

11. If all of a day's Metro papers with placed in a single stack, how many times higher than The Shard would it be?

14 times

12. Which two locations in the Borough of Greenwich have protected views. Name them.

Greenwich Park from Observatory is one

• Options
    2. Something to do with airspace - yes, but what's the something?
    5. Yes, but where?
    7. Yes - channels in the Estuary.
    12. Greenwich Park is one them (like most of the other protected views - it's the view to St Paul's).
  • Options
    3. Southwark is one of them.
  • Options
    2. holding space
    5. public transport
  • Options
    2. Yes - spot on.
    5. Still looking for more precision :wink:
  • Options
    Stig said:

2. Yes - spot on.

Marylebone Road?

Forgotten what an amazing book this is. Thanks for the reminder
  • Options
    No, not a road or a street.
  • Options
    Stig said:

No, not a road or a street.

200 Baker Street?
    If it's not lost property (maybe one station?) then the link must be Dave in The Carpenters in Lewisham. He's tried to sell me 510 watches over the years!
  • Options
    Stig said:

2. Yes - spot on.

5. The Underground?
  • Options
    No, not the underground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. 1937?
    4. The Northern Line
    10, Saudi's
  • Options
    1937 is very close. Northern Line and Saudis are spot on.
  • Options
    Here's a recap of where we are:

2. Aircraft landing stacks.
    3. Southwark & ??????
    4. Northern Line
    5. All handed into the lost property office at ????????
    7. Channels in the Thames estuary.
    10. Saudi Arabia. Average £2,700 per person per visit.
    12. Greenwich Park and ????????
  • Options
    3 Hackney (given lack of tube )
  • Options
    1 - 1939, the eve of WW2, although I thought there was an article in the Evening Standard that said the population finally returned to that level in January this year so presumably it's slightly higher now
  • Options
    Yep - Hackney.

1939 - bingo. You may well be right about it returning to that level this year se9. There's a graph in the book that's certainly heading in that direction but hadn't made it by time of publication.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Yep - Hackney.

1939 - bingo. You may well be right about it returning to that level this year se9. There's a graph in the book that's certainly heading in that direction but hadn't made it by time of publication.

Incredible to think it's taken our city's population 76 years to return to pre-war population levels.

• Options

1. 1937?
    4. The Northern Line
    10, Saudi's

Northern line always used to have quite a few suicides, due to the hospital at Frien Barnet not being to far from the line....also seem to remember a physicriatric (sp) hospital somewhere near Tooting also being close to the Northern Line.
  • Options
    6. Saturday
  • Options
    6. Sunday