Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dulwich Hamlet

Comments

• Options
    Went the other week when they played Guisley.

Fair play to the success they are having, but it was not my cup of tea.

Don't really know why, as they were all a friendly enough bunch.
  • Options

Nice little club, good support, easy to get to for me, decent selection of beers too (if you're early you can get a pint of locally brewed ale but they sell out fast). Went there a few times this season and went to the preseason when Charlton were down there, will probably go far more often next season though. KM and RD are the best advertisement for going to non-league football ever.

Brilliant.

KM and RD are the best advertisement for going to non-league football ever.

Should be on a t-shirt.

• Options
    Good to see some of the serious issues beneath the surface at Dulwich Hamlet finally getting an airing. Long read, but stick with it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/dulwich-hamlet-future-southwark-council-developers-champion-hill-green-dale-meadow-partners-gavin-a7994291.html
  • Options
    ....and the plans for a new stadium have just disappeared down the toilet. Meadow - the increasingly nasty property developer behind the project - have had a hissy fit with Southwark Council and withdrawn their (probably futile) planning appeals. I don't think there'll be too many tears shed down at the Hamlet about this, but the future is now looking very uncertain.

http://mailchi.mp/3dcd23567254/planning-update-appeals-withdrawn?e=2a5eb6cc3a

If anyone's got a few million quid and fancies taking on a non-league club next to a Sainsbury's in SE22...

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So, things now serious at the Hamlet.

Meadow Residential, the property developer which owns Champion Hill and wanted to build a new stadium, has cut off support for the team. The club is in debt, but the recent ballooning attendances mean that it should actually cover its costs - however, because Meadow owns the ground (and collects things like gate receipts and bar takings) the club has no control over the costs of the ground itself, so can't plan for the future nor clear the old debts. It's also believed Meadow has loaded debt onto the club.

Meadow is refusing to sell (there are buyers waiting in the wings, one is heavily rumoured to involve Rio Ferdinand) - so there's a gun at the club's head. It's lied about refurbishing the ground and has exaggerated player wages.

Now the mayor's office has piled in...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/dulwich-hamlet-southwark-council-meadow-residential-champion-hill-crowdfunding-paypal-a8043731.html

The club is appealing for help to cover a shortfall during a run of away games:
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/savedulwichhamlet
  • Options
    Big 4-1 win for table-topping Dulwich at 2nd-placed Met Police yesterday.

The current mess surrounding Champion Hill made it onto BBC London earlier:

https://youtu.be/ugx15UVUvHM

Also some Sky Sports News coverage: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11128398/dulwich-hamlet-fans-are-getting-behind-their-club-as-its-existence-is-threatened
  • Options
    http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dulwichhamlet/news/club-statement-6318-2207406.html

Property developers once again involved in trying to send a club to extinction.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Not even like they’re a non league club struggling, doing great on the pitch and have thousands coming through the gate every week.

Meadow are an utter disgrace, even worse that Rio Ferdinand tried to buy them and the ground and meadow refused to hear any offers. They’re trying to kill the club out of spite.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dulwichhamlet/news/club-statement-6318-2207406.html

Property developers once again involved in trying to send a club to extinction.

C*nts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

From what i understand Southwark Council will not give Meadow approval to build anything anyway so the land they own is effectively worthless. Ferdinand allegedly offered them up to 10m for the team and the ground and they said no.

So what exactly are Meadow still doing there? Just take the 10m and fuck off.

Iirc meadow refuse to build any more affordable housing on the site and Southwark council have said its nowhere near the minimum needed on the site to get planning permission.
  • Options

From what i understand Southwark Council will not give Meadow approval to build anything anyway so the land they own is effectively worthless. Ferdinand allegedly offered them up to 10m for the team and the ground and they said no.

Not quite - Meadow are the landlords. They did effectively control the club's finances too, but withdrew support when they had their first hissy fit with Southwark, and have been loading all kinds of unpaid bills onto the club and keeping the (hefty) bar receipts.

At the weekend it was looking likely that the club would be thrown out at the end of the season, and the club had started looking at alternative options; now Meadow have completely thrown their toys out of the pram and are trying to evict the club.

At the same time, Southwark Council's cabinet is discussing putting an offer in to buy Champion Hill - by compulsory purchase order if necessary - using the car wash site outside for new council housing. It may well be that Dulwich have to spend a short time away from Champion Hill while all this is sorted. But nobody can quite work out what Meadow are playing at.

I don't think Rio's company has gone away so another offer may come in.

It's all been a very fast-moving situation - there was due to be a fans' march on Champion Hill on the 17th, but a lot might happen before then.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Iirc meadow refuse to build any more affordable housing on the site and Southwark council have said its nowhere near the minimum needed on the site to get planning permission.
    All clubs should have their grounds protected as assets to the community - planning permission should then only be sought with the permission of the local council, club owners, club trusts and majority of season ticket holders.
    Meadow bought the club to build housing on the stadium site and promised to build a new stadium accross the road with sports facilities for the homes they were building. Southwark council compulsory purchasing the site would not be an end to the club’s troubles by a long stretch.
  • Options
    Really good when the local community fights back....
  • Options
    The SLP has a decent summary of what Southwark Council is doing: https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-dulwich-hamlet-fcs-controversial-landlords-could-be-forced-off-by-compulsory-purchase-order/
    EastStand said:

All clubs should have their grounds protected as assets to the community - planning permission should then only be sought with the permission of the local council, club owners, club trusts and majority of season ticket holders.

Champion Hill was listed as an Asset of Community Value, but it was withdrawn because the company that owned it at the time was in liquidation. Hadley Property Group bought it, made plans to develop the site and got the club and supporters' trust on board - but one of the Hadley execs moved to Meadow and took the CH project with him, and that's where the wheels started to fall off.

Meadow bought the club to build housing on the stadium site and promised to build a new stadium accross the road with sports facilities for the homes they were building. Southwark council compulsory purchasing the site would not be an end to the club’s troubles by a long stretch.

It wasn't across the road - it was on land behind Champion Hill (heading towards Herne Hill) which the club leased from Southwark Council, which is part of a wider open space called Greendale. There was a fair amount of local opposition because of the thought of building on Greendale, and Southwark weren't keen either.

Southwark have committed to securing a future for Dulwich Hamlet in East Dulwich - the council leader Peter John recently addressed fans - and it's worth taking them at their word on this. There's enough land on the car wash site to build some homes, although the rest will need looking at.
  • Options
    Sounds like the Hamlet could do with some CARD tactics to make a reluctant owner sell up.

• Options
    Now a Meadow subsidiary is trying to seize control of Dulwich's trademarks. Absolutely crazy.

• Options
    Takes the biscuit that, surely the council have got to do something now they’ve properly got absolutely everyone’s backs up and are now acting entirely unreasonably
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unbelievable....
  • Options
    No way that would stand up in court, it’s just a malicious attempt to add more costs to the club. Note this was done in October, so meadow have had this end game in mind for a long time. Dickheads.
  • Options

Now a Meadow subsidiary is trying to seize control of Dulwich's trademarks. Absolutely crazy.

Daniel Kidd heads up Blake Morgan’s property litigation team. Can’t see what right Meadow have to try and copyright the Club’s name/derivatives. Personally I’d have a look at countering.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The letter appears to be signed by someone who does not exist. Is that legal (well obviously it is, but seems a bit dodgy to me...)?
  • Options
    Now the hamlet are top of the league after beating billericay last night.

Just a couple of months of being playable in the vanilla version of football manager and meadow are putting it in jeopardy
  • Options
    edited March 2018

The letter appears to be signed by someone who does not exist. Is that legal (well obviously it is, but seems a bit dodgy to me...)?

It’s signed in the name of the Firm and that’s fine.

The partner dealing is only seen by looking at the email address.

These trademarks seem to have been lodged in October when the developer had a major falling out with Southwark. From what I know, you have to monitor the trademark press to find such notices and you have 2 months (can be extended by 1 month) to appeal, which means it’s a lot more difficult (but not impossible) to overturn now.

I can’t see on what basis an arm of a property developer can lay claim to these as their trademarks.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    My Grandad played for Dulwich Hamlet for quite some time, i know for a fact he would be turning in his grave if he saw this today.

I hate everything about it to be honest, gentrification beyond a joke. I'm pretty open minded to a lot of left wing ideas but wearing pink nail varnish to football? Piss off.

I don't really have a good reason for it, but that article has made me furious.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

My Grandad played for Dulwich Hamlet for quite some time, i know for a fact he would be turning in his grave if he saw this today.

I hate everything about it to be honest, gentrification beyond a joke. I'm pretty open minded to a lot of left wing ideas but wearing pink nail varnish to football? Piss off.

I don't really have a good reason for it, but that article has made me furious.

I hear ya. Bring back the empty grounds and casual racism and homophobia I say.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It's not even as if DHFC haven't been paying their rent. But they are chucked out with immediate effect?
    If that happens I would like CAFC to be the first in line to offer immediate playing facilities at the Valley, at cost and no more.

I'd guess that "at cost" would still be a big figure, even opening up just the Lower West. Maybe as a one-off to help out but longer-term DHFC would be better off going in with say, Carshalton or Tooting.

In the short term, they've got 5 home league games left and a cup game v Balham (which I'm sure could be swapped to Balham's ground and there would still be a good attendance). Despite being a congested time of year for non-league clubs, plenty would try to fit them in, just for the bar-take.