Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Francis Coquelin - pg11 - returned to Arsenal?***

Comments

• Feed the Coq and he will score.....
  • Feed the Coq and he will score.....

Clucking hell boss that's a bit near the mark. :-)
  • Is his nickname coq if so does he pass the height(size) test

he's 4' 22 " tall
  • Bit of a curve ball this. Unexpected and, at face value, not consistent with the strategy we've seen so far.

As @Henry Irving‌ seemed to imply though, there's a fair chance that this is with a view to a permanent deal. The idea, perhaps, is for Peeters to take a look at the boy, what's his attitude like, his work ethic, does he follow instructions, will he fit in etc?

At the same time a move to Charlton is a bit of a come down for a player who has spent six years at Arsenal and a year on loan in the Bundesliga. A few weeks at the Valley would give him a chance to decide whether he fancies it.

If a permanent deal is in the offing, then it must mean that we believe we can agree terms, with both Arsenal and the player, which are acceptable to us. That's encouraging, if true.

The next question is why would we want him? I suspect that Peeters might be a little frustrated. He wants to build from the back and keep possession. Moreover, there is no long ball option, making even more important to "take care of the ball". This style suits Ben Haim and Bikey-Amougou because they are both very comfortable with the ball, but only Buyens is happy to receive it from them. When these three players get pressed, as happened in the first half on Saturday, we struggle badly.

Coquelin is almost certainly more comfortable with the ball at his feet than either Jackson or Cousins and might complement Buyens very effectively, perhaps in a 4-2-3-1, or something similar, with Jackson, Gudmundsson and either Cousins or Bulot in that middle three with Igor on his own up front. If money were then spent on a striker in the January window Peeters would then have a number of options both with his starting XI and his substitutes.

More generally, of course, Coquelin fits the "young player with potential" model.

Spot on Mundell. Also with that revised formation you suggested as well. If we can't add quality up front then there is no point signing a forward. It would seem that BP thinks this guy might add that 'quality' in midfield

Also probably more quality midfielders than strikers in general. Strikers/forwards always like gold dust
  • Who is to say we aren't trying to bring in a striker?

This one came out the blue and the element of "surprise" keeps other teams from sniffing around, I don't want to say the French guy at Wigans name.

Everyone wants a player who can score goals, they don't just appear available from nothing. RD, KM and Bob have all said they will only go in for the right player having learnt the lessons from last years recruits. So far they are doing very well imo.
  • colin1961 said:

Every good player to good for this division I have been told by an Arsenal who was shocked at the move .... This as to be a replacement for Jackson who now on the last two games has had to be moved to protect him

That was probably the case at Bournemouth but not for Fulham or Wednesday.
  • Midfield 5 of JBG Buyens Jackson Coquelin Cousins with Vetokele up front alone? Cousins dithers on the ball too much for a central midfielder, shows that he grew up playing full back/centre back where you get more time

Still think we need a striker in and to keep JBG and Vetokele fit
  • It could just be that RD heard that there was a chance of getting him, and thinking of the future, did not want to miss out, get him on loan and if works out, buy him. Only for a month could be more, any good, buy him for a reasonable price, he should be worth more later. (RD theory).
  • edited November 2014

great that no rumour and no one saw it coming---love it.
    Maybe the injury to Bulot is worse than first thought---if he does as well as Song then its will be all be good.

Nope. Peeters said that the injury to Bulot wasn't as bad as first thought, and he should be fit for Millwall.
  • I think this is a very exciting loan, regardless of where or how he will fit into the squad it's quite a progressive step to get him, Arsenal fans I know really rate him and were surprised by the move, it may be short term for now but he may give us that little bit of quality and calmness in midfield that our strikers need. Welcome Francis
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't know too much about him but reading here he seems promising. Only a month though, hope it's not like Davide Pertrucci
  • colin1961 said:

What I will say was second half Saturday was the best I have seen from Jackson for 18 months but to be consistent at this level it's past him now
    Like to see hhim given the Under 21 manager role from Euell at the end of the season

Only because Cousins was moved to the left! JJ only lasts 70 mins at best.

This guy can play left mf. Buyens cm, Cousins cm, igor rm.

JJ on bench if we need a bit of extra cover or a goal.
  • edited November 2014
    colin1961 said:

What I will say was second half Saturday was the best I have seen from Jackson for 18 months but to be consistent at this level it's past him now
    Like to see hhim given the Under 21 manager role from Euell at the end of the season

Not gonna happen still got a couple of years left in him, even if its at a lower level

I am talking about at the end of the season btw, I still think he can play this level ATM
  • Bit of a step up from Orient though ;-)
  • Seems an odd signing on face value given the length of the deal and where he plays but thinking about it more we only actually have 3 centre mids all who are playing every game, albeit cousins out left, and we all know that even though results have been above expectations we never dominate possession...

Bob obviously feels the same but with no other option what can he do. Not seen this guy play for years but seem to remember him being a pretty major prospect and was decent whenever I saw him. Step up from Frimpong anyway. Hopefully this is us hoping to sign him permanently with a view to him and cousins dominating our midfield for years to come.

• He isn't from Belgium and I can (almost) pronounce his name.
    No wonder we only have him for three weeks.
  • What's the betting that he'd be starting in the right back position at Leeds bearing in mind Solly's knee problems and Gomez's injury?

Spot on - can see him playing at right back tomorrow...
  • I hope he does well,RD look for another striker please.

Whether by accident or design Tucudean (and Moussa) are being given every opportunity to make their contribution to the cause. This loan signing (plus another?) plus permanent signings in January are going to be "quality" in order to convert more draws into wins. I believe that signings will be better than what we have and that puts pressure on the squad to up their game just to be candidates for selection.
    As we get better it will become harder and more expensive to improve - but pulling in someone from Arsenal with Bundesliga and champions league experience adds one more to the list of quality players... On paper.

I'm half joking about Millwall but a decent win against them puts down a marker and keeps us in the running.
  • Can't believe we can attract these types of players again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't expect signings like this but as well as a striker the next position we needed probably was another central midfielder (I don't see Moussa playing there myself).

At 23 it seems he's nowhere near the Arsenal first team so it does look like a signing that could become permanent if it works out. It'll be interesting to see how we use him.
  • Lets hope he's fired up to play for us. It'll be interesting to compare him to Diego. Welcome to the club Francis.
  • Lets hope he's fired up to play for us. It'll be interesting to compare him to Diego. Welcome to the club Francis.

I thought the same regarding the Poyet role. We defiantly miss someone to break up the play reckon it will really help us as we get overrun at times.
  • My old boss is an Arsenal season ticket holder. Asked him for an opinion and got the following:

"Very decent, hard working, strong tackler, quite quick and plays midfield or fullback. Bit injury prone, but who isn't at AFC. He isn't going to skip past tackles and stick it in the top corner from 30 yards, but will add energy and bite"
  • Welcome Frankie
  • vffvff
    edited November 2014
    Good loan signing and competition for the left midfield role. Cousins has done well in that position, but it is not his natural position. This will maybe allow for Cousins to play a more central midfield role.
  • To be Frank, this could be one of the final pieces in the Charlton jigsaw that Roland & Bob are designing.