Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Francis Coquelin - pg11 - returned to Arsenal?***

Comments

• My Arsenal mate said good signing for us
  • Beckboy said:

My Arsenal mate said good signing for us

Couple of mine have said he's pretty average but hasn't had a great deal of game time recently. We'll see I suppose. Trained with Arsenal this morning apparently.
  • Surprised by that one, probably not good enough for Arsenal but should be more than good enough for this level. Him next to Buyens should be pretty rock solid.

Good signing, and not to be too negative, but where is he going to fit? We have Jackson, Cousins, Buyens and potentially Moussa and JBG for central midfield. I wonder if Bob sees him as an answer to our left-sided problem.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he was played on the left, we have centre midfielders but they have hardly dominated games so we could always use improvement there. With Cousins on the left most of the time there is only really Jackson/Buyens who play the deeper central midfield roles which Peeters likes in the 451/4411. Jackson will still get game time I imagine but I think Coquelin/Buyens will be a much better partnership with more energy/safer in possession to allow Moussa/JBG/Cousins more freedom ahead of them.
    I just hope he doesn't hinder Cousins' development, who I'd like to see back in the middle.

Let's hope he's more Alex Song than Frimpong.
    Forgot about Song, now that was a quality loanee.
  • Shocked and stunned, but said the same when we signed the DENCH one.
  • Beckboy said:

Couple of mine have said he's pretty average
    I'd be happy with pretty average by Arsenals standards..............
  • Also, even if he isn't creative himself, imagine how much better we'd look with Poyet in the side just keeping it ticking. Hopefully will have even more halves like the second against Sheff Wednesday but with JBG and Igor to take advantage of all that possession.
  • I guess compared to other Arsenal midfielders he is 'pretty average' so doesn't surprise me that they'd say that. I've seen him play quite a few times and never come away thinking he looked out of his depth, he just doesn't have that bit extra that's needed at that level.
  • Good player, good to have in our squad. Welcome Francis.
  • edited November 2014
    The only thing im concerned about is if we have this kid onboard who can play a bit, then we need the ball. No good having a player good in possession if we are just gonna sit off and let the opposition have it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

He just doesn't have that bit extra that's needed at that level.

Agreed... But probably needs to leave Arsenal to gain that extra little bit.

Too many players are happy sitting round at the big club (Hoping for their chance) when in reality they should be imitating the likes of Johann Gudmundsson, rejected by Chelsea and Fulham he went to the continent for First-Team Football, now he's back in England at a good level and is continuing to make a name for himself
  • The only thing im concerned about is if we have this kid onboard who can play a bit, then we need the ball. No good having a player good in possession if we are just gonna sit off and let the opposition have it.

Maybe he's been signed to help us achieve that?
  • iaitch said:

Surprised by that one, probably not good enough for Arsenal but should be more than good enough for this level. Him next to Buyens should be pretty rock solid.

Good signing, and not to be too negative, but where is he going to fit? We have Jackson, Cousins, Buyens and potentially Moussa and JBG for central midfield. I wonder if Bob sees him as an answer to our left-sided problem.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he was played on the left, we have centre midfielders but they have hardly dominated games so we could always use improvement there. With Cousins on the left most of the time there is only really Jackson/Buyens who play the deeper central midfield roles which Peeters likes in the 451/4411. Jackson will still get game time I imagine but I think Coquelin/Buyens will be a much better partnership with more energy/safer in possession to allow Moussa/JBG/Cousins more freedom ahead of them.
    I just hope he doesn't hinder Cousins' development, who I'd like to see back in the middle.

Let's hope he's more Alex Song than Frimpong.
    Forgot about Song, now that was a quality loanee.
    Probably Pardew's only decent signing.

Beckboy said:

Couple of mine have said he's pretty average
    I'd be happy with pretty average by Arsenals standards..............
    True!
  • 'Hopefully he can make an impact at The Valley, adding some thrust and penetration to their midfield.'
  • That headline, that blog name and using words like thrust and penetration together. Sounds like a wrong'un to me.
  • Beckboy said:

Couple of mine have said he's pretty average but hasn't had a great deal of game time recently. We'll see I suppose. Trained with Arsenal this morning apparently.
    But they have been blessed with decent midfielder's and strikers so probably is average to them
  • Provided this fella is better than what is in the squad at present than it should all bode well.
  • The only thing im concerned about is if we have this kid onboard who can play a bit, then we need the ball. No good having a player good in possession if we are just gonna sit off and let the opposition have it.

Maybe he's been signed to help us achieve that?
    Yeah maybe, i just think we need to change our mindset some games. Thats for another thread though.
  • WARNING! An euphemism overload, that blog! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Beckboy said:

Beckboy said:

But they have been blessed with decent midfielder's and strikers so probably is average to them
    True.

• Short term loan, presumably the economics of the situation have informed the decision.
  • I wonder if there is a midfield injury that we don't know about.
  • One thing we don't seem to have in the team are many runners. Not that many players who are quick over 5-10 yards in midfield. So someone able to press through quick running and endurance is a welcome addition.

So I expect is cover for cousins in the centre who himself is now covering for Bulot whilst injured.

I hope the first choice middle pairing would be cousins and one of Jackson or Buyens, because BBB would be the only one in the ground who doesn't rate JC in the water carrier position.

• Arsenal fans see him as a quality youngster, very good in possession but doesnt have much in terms of physical strength for the Prem.

I know he's not a forward but these are they type of players that are good to watch and have in the squad.

I actually think we've been crying out for a defensive midfielder. Reason being, I don't think either Buyens or Jackson are capable of, or want to do the enforcer role. Both are better deployed further forward (definitely JJ - as I don't think he adds that much in the 'engine room' anymore).

This will give them both a bit more freedom, might allow us to re-introduce the passing from the back again etc.

Poses the question about who will make way if he does start though. Or perhaps BP is thinking making sure we have the option of taking JJ off due to his legs etc.
  • What's the betting that he'd be starting in the right back position at Leeds bearing in mind Solly's knee problems and Gomez's injury?
  • I wonder if there is a midfield injury that we don't know about.

This guy can play full back or any of the 3 midfield positions,
    plus Bulot is still out and Johann is still trying to get 100% fit.

• sounds more like a trial than a loan.

23 now so most likely needs to move on and get games away from Arsenal.

maybe not good enough for Arsenal but we are slightly behind then right now so could well be a step up.

No doubt Colin will be delighted as he'll see it as the end of Jacko but we shall see.

Welcome and good luck
  • What's the betting that he'd be starting in the right back position at Leeds bearing in mind Solly's knee problems and Gomez's injury?

Good shout.
  • This could be a decent signing for us.

With a young player from Arsenal you get a player who is a good passer with confidence on the ball. A couple of mates have said he is a good tackler aswell.

Bob is building a tidy little team who all should be confident with the ball on the deck and are happy to receive a pass at any time.