Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appraisals

Has anyone got any appraisal advice?

I've just had my one at work. Quite frankly its glowing. I'm the hardest worker on the team, nothing is too much of a problem for me, I get the best results and am a great team player that everyone can rely on. Basically I walk on water.

The thing about this is that my boss who wrote that is basically a dick. Over the last year, he has criticised me for the smallest thing. Any project or work where there is any likelihood of glory he keeps me away from. He has actively blocked my promotion attempts and prevented me from attending courses. The old regional manager mentioned to me that my manager simply didn't like me or rate me as a worker.

Its been disheartening seeing the less able having there careers advanced, but I have spoken to a couple of them who have indicated that that they didn't get particularly good appraisals.

Getting such a glowing review has shocked me as I was going to tell my boss in my feedback what a complete dick he is, but I'm not sure what to put now.
Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    do you think he sees you as a threat?
  • Options
    Maybe just be honest... Say that you're disappointed that your being held back from Courses and that you'd like to understand his thought process, especially like you say when others who have had less than impressive appraisals are having their careers advanced.

This is a Document that's going on to HR (on to your Record) and surely you've got the right to add comments on there?
  • Options
    Sounds like he wants to keep you down to make his own life easier as you are evidently very competent and reliable at what you do.

The slagging off is to erode your ambition by diminishing your confidence so you lose your self-belief.

Experienced it myself and sadly for me it worked.
  • Options
    Sounds like he wants to keep you down to make his own life easier as you are evidently very competent and reliable at what you do.

The slagging off is to erode your ambition by diminishing your confidence so you lose your self-belief.

Experienced it myself and sadly for me it worked.
  • Options
    Have you discussed this with him? Always easier to try and talk things out before the situation gets much worse. He may see this as a way of guiding you towards areas for 'Development'. As a last resort check the definitions of your company's bullying and harassment policy. This is how constant 'nit picking' can be interpreted. If so you would be able to use this as part of a grievance complaint against your manager.
  • Options
    There's only one thing left you can do.

Kill him
  • Options
    Can't answer the question. But sounds like you should look for a better job elsewhere, the current place seems to be holding you back.
  • Options

Alex Wright
    I was going to complain about him, but after reading his appraisal, I'm not sure. I had planned to write in my feedback section that he is basically a clueless twat, but my problem is how can I say he has no idea, when he's formally recorded what a superstar he thinks I am.
    I have tried talking to him, but nothing changes.

I'd go with the flow for the moment. Take the appraisal, with his glowing comments, and add my career development expectations in to my comments.

If your company has a good training and development policy make sure you get everything you're entitled to.

• Options

Has anyone got any appraisal advice?

I've just had my one at work. Quite frankly its glowing. I'm the hardest worker on the team, nothing is too much of a problem for me, I get the best results and am a great team player that everyone can rely on. Basically I walk on water.

The thing about this is that my boss who wrote that is basically a dick. Over the last year, he has criticised me for the smallest thing. Any project or work where there is any likelihood of glory he keeps me away from. He has actively blocked my promotion attempts and prevented me from attending courses. The old regional manager mentioned to me that my manager simply didn't like me or rate me as a worker.

Its been disheartening seeing the less able having there careers advanced, but I have spoken to a couple of them who have indicated that that they didn't get particularly good appraisals.

Getting such a glowing review has shocked me as I was going to tell my boss in my feedback what a complete dick he is, but I'm not sure what to put now.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Put what you were going to originally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What better way to disarm you, and thus stop you from criticising him, than to give you fulsome praise?
  • Options
    As Alex Wright suggests, after such glowing testimony to your skills you could now politely inquire if there is a job of greater responsibility within the company so that those abilities can be used more productively :-)
    But in my experience a dodgy boss is hard to get past and it might be worth taking the good reference as a means to secure another job elsewhere.
  • Options
    Get feedback from other colleagues you've worked with, if they are all positive start to build a case against him. Go above his head and discuss your issues with higher management. Include HR as well so it's all documented.
  • Options
    I would simply ask him (or write it in your appraisal) that if you are that good then why are you being held back & others being promoted ahead of you. This would then make him look a pillock & HR should pick up on it.
  • Options

I would simply ask him (or write it in your appraisal) that if you are that good then why are you being held back & others being promoted ahead of you. This would then make him look a pillock & HR should pick up on it.

This ...
  • Options
    Ask for a pay rise...and, if you are as good as you think you are, look for another job
  • Options
    Shots fired