Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Rumble in the Jungle

Was 40 years ago today. Both 5live and Talksport have programmes on it tonight. One of the most amazing sporting occasions ever.

Comments

• I would probably go further and say the most amazing sporting occasion ever - and number two and three are probably the Thriller in Manilla and when he beat Liston in the first fight. Ali was at the time the most recognizable face on the planet and 40 years on he arguably still is.

In my opinion (and a lot of others of course) the greatest heavyweight of all time and without any doubt whatsoever from me the most charismatic sportsman of all time. I can understand why some people would disagree with the last statement but he is my ultimate sporting hero.
  • One great childhood memory was the euphoria of my old man and his mates over this. Before the days of internet and 24 hour news media, pubs were rammed, special licenses, a real jamboree atmosphere. One of the all time greatest sporting events.
  • Would recommend 'The Fight' by Norman Mailer to anyone - fantastic book on an amazing sporting event.
  • Thought we were talking about I'm a celebrity, get me out of here starting again.
  • Would recommend 'The Fight' by Norman Mailer to anyone - fantastic book on an amazing sporting event.

This! Best sporting book ever imho.
  • Thought this was another fart thread myself
  • Met Ali at a book signing in London 20 odd years ago. He was an imposing figure and the only time I've been awestruck in situations like that.
  • What with the BBC fuss about the anniversary, I loved the Hawksbee & Jacobs piss-take yesterday, when they played their own iconic bit of commentary....a dog race from Catford. They asked the question.....Where were you when "3 won it comfortably from 1 with 6 back in third...." ??
  • I was allowed to stay up for this one For those not old enough, it was the talk of the world the next day and for what seemed like weeks to come.

I was going to post this. Great book. Mailer was a half decent boxer himself.

• Sponsored links:

• The days when the whole family would sit and watch a fight together. I remember my Mum loving it.
  • Simonsen said:

What with the BBC fuss about the anniversary, I loved the Hawksbee & Jacobs piss-take yesterday, when they played their own iconic bit of commentary....a dog race from Catford. They asked the question.....Where were you when "3 won it comfortably from 1 with 6 back in third...." ??

Well Hawksbee & Jacobs have heard of Ali but has Ali heard of Hawksbee & Jacobs.

As a sporting icon there was no one before or after to compare to him. No one.
  • can't remember if I saw it live or not, just recall fearing that Ali would not come out alive. Foreman had destroyed Fraser, who was as scary as they get and close to his peak. No way Ali would get out in one piece .. and the rest was history!

Foreman talks about the fight on tape,with Ali a few years later, a lovely account by the man who basically never got close to the heights he could have hit if he had won.
  • Rope a dope.

Ali let Foreman punch himself out and then knocked him out.

Great fight to watch, accessible to all on the BBC.

My God he's won the title back at 32!
  • Before my time unfortunately. Have always enjoyed watching boxing on tv though. Earliest memories being Hearns v Hagler and the whole family sitting around to watch McGuigan, Benn etc.. Proper sporting events.

If only those big fights were still shown on normal tv.

A friend posted this on FB yesterday from the BBC, which I thought was a good read regarding The Rumble...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/29796214

I'll be buying Norman Mailer's book. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • what time was it on tv over here?
  • LenGlover said:

Rope a dope.

Ali let Foreman punch himself out and then knocked him out.

Great fight to watch, accessible to all on the BBC.

My God he's won the title back at 32!

Such memories, Len - I can hear Harry's voice in my head so clearly:

And suddenly Ali looks very tired indeed. In fact, Ali at times now looks as though he can hardly lift his arms up ... Oh, he's got him with a right hand! He's got him! Oh, you can't believe it – and he's doing his shuffle! And I don't think Foreman's going to get up ... he's trying to beat the count ... and he's out! Oh my God, he's won the title back at 32!
  • edited October 2014
    Pretty sure it wasn't shown on TV live here. Was broadcast by satellite to selected cinemas. Colin Hart was there and was speakng about it on Talksport, said it took two days to get in the newspapers! It was 2am local time.
  • Foreman was an animal back then, arguably the hardest hitting heavyweight ever. That fight totally destroyed him which is forgotten in all the hype around Ali.
    His comeback is ultimately a far more amazing story (in boxing terms) than Ali's
  • My Old Man used got go to the pictures in Lewisham, the Odeon or Studio 6/7 to watch all the fights. They were packed and very lively. He would be very animated in the morning recounting what had happened and he spoke about those nights and those fights for ever after. The build-up to each one was huge and they rarely disappointed. Whatever happened to the heavyweight division? The Middle-weights held the attention for ten years and then it all became a farce. Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton in his pomp apart, it's been rubbish since.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021

Found this at my mum's today, not sure how it got there.
    It's a program from the closed circuit screening.

It maybe via Ernie Fossey who my brother's inlaws family. Not sure how much it's worth.

• Found this at my mum's today, not sure how it got there.
    It's a program from the closed circuit screening.

It maybe via Ernie Fossey who my brother's inlaws family. Not sure how much it's worth.
    Originals from the fight itself go for upwards of £2,500 - I would estimate a screening programme to be worth a couple of hundred.