Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Sheff Wed | Sat 1st Nov 2014 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Sheffield Wednesday
3pm Kick-Off
Referee –Andy U’Durso

INTRODUCTION

After a positive 2-1 home victory over Bolton last week, it seemed that a trip away to Craven Cottage the following Friday, could see another decent outcome.

However, with the Sky cameras fixated on the Fulham pitch, viewers and fans could only see this game going one way after the first 15 minutes.

Nevertheless, a spirited second-half performance from the Addicks gave their well-supported away fans something to think about despite the defeat in South-West London.

Saturday’s opponents Sheffield Wednesday will no doubt prove to be another MASSIVE test for Bob Peeters’ side this weekend.

In addition, I quote: "Charlton will remember those close to the club who have been lost while serving their country at Saturday’s game against Sheffield Wednesday.

"With 2014 marking 100 years since the outbreak of the First World War, and the fixture being the nearest one to Armistice Day, there will be series of special guests and tributes prior to kick-off against the Owls."

The rest of article can be seen here:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141029-rememberance-day-charlton-sheffield-wednesday-2048753.aspx

THE OPPOSITION

The appointment of Stuart Gray last January has proven to be a very successful one, as Wednesday just seem to get stronger and stronger under his leadership.

Summer signings such as Kieren Westwood, Stevie May and Tom Lees have added extra strength to Gray’s squad and the trio are likely to feature this weekend.

Last Saturday, they drew 0-0 at home to Norwich and now find themselves in 12th place and only four points away from the play-off spots. A win against Charlton will see them leapfrog the Addicks and head up the table.

This weekend will also see Jose Semedo return to his former ‘favourite’ club and can expect to have a mixed reception from the Valley faithful.

ONE TO WATCH – STEVIE MAY

My player to watch this week is Sheffield Wednesday striker: Stevie May.

The former St Johnstone forward has scored three goals since his arrival in the summer, but has the capabilities to expand on that tally and will be hoping to break his seven-game goal drought.

The 21-year-old, scored 67 goals in 118 games before moving to Hillsborough and earned his first call-up to the Scotland senior squad recently, although he played no part in their European Championship 2016 qualifiers with Georgia and Poland.

Despite his bizarre haircut, May must not be underestimated as he has good pace, a decent strike and can cause problems for defences.

LINE-UP

Injuries and suspensions have caused Peeters a number of headaches recently, and he’ll be hoping to have a near-enough fit squad back to face Wednesday this weekend.

Stephen Henderson will continue in goal, while Rhoys Wiggins may be fit enough to return at left-back in place of Morgan Fox.

Despite conceding three at Fulham, Chris Solly, Andre Bikey and Tal Ben-Haim should remain at the back.

In midfield, Johann Gudmundsson is more than likely to start after coming off the bench against Fulham, while Yoni Buyens will return in the middle of midfield to probably partner Johnnie Jackson.

On the left, Jordan Cousins is usually Bob’s choice, but the likes of Callum Harriott and Franck Moussa will be in contention. Frederic Bulot is an injury doubt.

Peeters may go back to a 4-4-2, and if Igor Vetokele is fit, then he should start, although after his impressive cameo against Fulham, Karlan Ahearne-Grant may be given a go.
George Tucudean is the other striker likely to start.

Charlton Athletic - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

It has got draw written all over it.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Wendies must fancy themselves for a 0-5 away upset, once their tiny brains have overcome the superficial similarity of "Moussa" and "Massive".
  • Score draw.
  • Weel be looking to redeem ourselves from the Fulham defeat. Rhoys and Igor possibly back could be big, still the same weel do alright without them this time around. 1-0 to Charlton, Johann to score
  • Another 0-0 thriller as this exciting season continues unabated with the best football seen at The Valley for years
  • 2-0 addicks, time to get the boat sailing again after 'docking' at Craven Cottage last Friday. Full match thread from 2 pm....COYR's!!!
  • Draw for me too, 1-1
  • Could be a few thunderous collisions between Bikey and Nihui, both great big lumps.
  • We never seem to do well at home against Wednesday, at least not in the past few years. Hopefully Igor, Wiggins and JBG are fit to start otherwise I can see our first home defeat
  • D'Urso as ref means a chance the game will be called off at 1.30 Saturday:)
  • JohnnyH2 said:

D'Urso as ref means a chance the game will be called off at 1.30 Saturday:)

or Bikey's first red of the season :(
  • Sponsored links:

• A polite notice that there will be an act of remembrance on the pitch prior to kick off which will be followed by a period of silence.

People may want to get to their seats a little earlier.
  • I reckon our slide in form will continue. Not particularly alarmed at that it's just the gloating from OP on here afterwards that I am not looking forward to.

Admin. Can we ban his a/c for a few days post match?

1-2
  • Last time D'Urso was at The Valley we beat Wigan 2-1

don't think we will do it again and can feel another defeat 2-3
  • edited October 2014
  • Juan - Juan
  • Neither team are big scorers so I think this has 0-0 written all over it.
  • Not expecting many goals Saturday, so hopefully big George can make my day, 1-0 addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Morning you sexy little Addicks, looking forward to my trip to the big smoke and a the lovely Valley, can't see it being a big scoring game!
  • Want to see Gudmundsson play just behind igor, when he come on and played central against Fulham we looked much more dangerous!
  • No compelling reason why we can't win this:

CAFC 2 v Sheffield Wednesday 0
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Sb8oJE4a4

just been posted on the clubs youtube channel
  • I like Stevie May and was kind of hoping we'd be after him in the summer. Think they look a bit more potent up front than us with Igor out, both defenses seem solid. Think they'll edge it 0-1 but I cant see it being a thriller.
  • 2-0 Win as we give a great response to the TV defeat, the returning Igor with the first followed by a Cousins goal to secure the points.

Wednesday hit the post twice, so their fans can leave the Valley muttering about us being a lucky tin pot club etc.

• Just hoping the organic pulled pork baps are available again for the week-end as they were sorely missed in mid-week.
  • Lose

Charlestown 0-4 Sheffield Bladeless Wendies
  • I reckon our slide in form will continue. Not particularly alarmed at that it's just the gloating from OP on here afterwards that I am not looking forward to.

Admin. Can we ban his a/c for a few days post match?

1-2

Its not as if we gloat when we beat someone.

I don't mind OP, he seems to call things correct in my view.
  • 1-1 the most likely score here

Would like to see us start with two up front - Grant alongside Tudcean if Vetokele still injured