Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe - future england manager?

So impressed with what this bloke has achieved at Bournemouth, how far could he go in the game?

Comments

• Too early to say but he is a very impressive figure.
    He would have to make a move to a larger club first though.
  • Interesting question as he moved from Bournemouth to Burnley yet it didnt seem to work there... Sean Dyche replaced him after Howe returned to Bournemouth and did the job with pretty much the same squad so Ive wondered the same but have a question mark over it
  • Not until he gets some European experience. Needs to work at a big club for that so I doubt it will ever happen.
  • Lee Clark will be the next England manager. Fact.
  • Hope so. Nice guy.
  • He needs a better CV but potential is potential.

When was the last time a big club took a punt on a lower league manager and it being successful? Paul Ince is the1st name that comes to mind when thinking of this...which did not work out well at all.

He would have to win promotion with bournemouth 1st.

I guess only an excellent manager would stop charltons amazing unbeaten run ;)
  • Wembley's way too far north for him, remember Burnley.
  • I sit with someone who knows Yann and apparently Yann seriously rates eddie. He's not just interested in the players ability but dictates all of their diets, curfews etc. he's absolutely meticulous and really could go far.

I used to play with his assistant, Jason Tindall, at Charlton. Very tidy player but seems decent in the number 2 role as well. Seem like a decent partnership
  • Swisdom said:

I sit with someone who knows Yann

Are they also someone you work with? ;)
  • Would need to change his name to Edinovic Howavic and look at bit swarthier. Then he will land a big job. Probably would need to mangage a club like Leeds for a couple of days first.
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

Would need to change his name to Edinovic Howavic and look at bit swarthier. Then he will land a big job. Probably would need to mangage a club like Leeds for a couple of days first.

on my phone so you'll have to imagine my shaking-head gif here
  • Eddie Howe for England manager.

Could do a lot worse. Would prefer Howe over Pardew any time.
  • Building a club with Football League expectations is much different kettle of fish than managing the national team in major tournaments.

We're unlikely to have any serious heavyweight contender managers in the England hot seat any time soon though considering the lack of English managers at the top level, full stop.

Think it will be at least 10 years worth of Premier League experience before someone like Howe is considered.
  • Martinez would be my pick if he wanted it. His nationality is an irrelevance, but if there's a stumbling block, he's unfortunately married to a Scot ;)
  • Swisdom said:

I sit with someone who knows Yann

Are they also someone you work with? ;)
    Nope. Just sit next to a chap who knows him pretty well.
  • edited October 2014
    I remember someone on here once called him a 'Grinning Chimp' made me laugh.
  • edited October 2014
    Good manager, and appreciate that what he has done at Bournemouth is impressive. But, he has had money to spend and has performed as expected in my opinion when taking into account the funds available and the fact he is working with what seems to be a very supportive chairman.
  • Never in a million years. Genuinely think Steve Bruce is more likely to get the job.
  • CAFCOlly said:

Good manager, and appreciate that what he has done at Bournemouth is impressive. But, he has had money to spend and has performed as expected in my opinion when taking into account the funds available and the fact he is working with what seems to be a very supportive chairman.

eddie howe basically saved bournemouth from relegation from league two, got them promoted to league one and then almost got them up via play offs without spending a penny.
  • Needs to do a good job away from Bournemouth first, prove he is not a one job/club success story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unless England play all the home games at dean court then no

Its relatively well known he has little interest in football that is not Bournemouth. He was a very decent centre half and had to be prised away from Bournemouth when they sold him to Portsmouth.

He has achieved a huge amount and his loyalty is to be admired. If he picked up a dollop of top flight pressure cooker experience he will be a very strong manager.

If he can get over his homesickness
  • Who's to say his top-flight experience won't be with Bournemouth?
  • Don't think younger managers fancy the part-time job that is International management.
  • I have a lot of time for Eddie Howe. It was a shame he didn't choose us over Burnley but, on reflection, he dodged a bullet there and Chris Powell got it instead. Only young with bags of potential. Got to see what he's like with a bigger club though. Could he handle the pressure rather than being at perennial underdogs like Bournemouth always have been.
  • Leuth said:

Who's to say his top-flight experience won't be with Bournemouth?

He could well do, would still leave a question mark over his homesickness and the other very valid point of him or any young, vibrant, hands on, hardworking manager being bored shitless and not beimg able to do things the way he wants
  • CAFCOlly said:

eddie howe basically saved bournemouth from relegation from league two, got them promoted to league one and then almost got them up via play offs without spending a penny.
    Yes, and that is impressive. Though Gary Johnson got Yeovil up via the play offs without spending a penny (pretty much). Not taking anything away from the man, but just think he is sometimes overly praised simply for being a so called 'young and upcoming manager'. With players like Boruc, Surman, Callum Wilson and of course Yann at his disposal, i'd say he's performing as expected.
  • CAFCOlly said:

CAFCOlly said:

Yes, and that is impressive. Though Gary Johnson got Yeovil up via the play offs without spending a penny (pretty much). Not taking anything away from the man, but just think he is sometimes overly praised simply for being a so called 'young and upcoming manager'. With players like Boruc, Surman, Callum Wilson and of course Yann at his disposal, i'd say he's performing as expected.
    This, he has been well supported not just with money for a player like Wilson but by big wages to keep their most talented players & add players like Yann.

He has done a really good job at but lets not pretend they are little Bournemouth underdogs when it comes to money they are willing to spend.
  • No, he still deserves a lot of credit. Bournemouth have only very recently had money
  • Leuth said:

masicat said:

Would need to change his name to Edinovic Howavic and look at bit swarthier. Then he will land a big job. Probably would need to mangage a club like Leeds for a couple of days first.

on my phone so you'll have to imagine my shaking-head gif here
    http://replygif.net/591
  • CAFCOlly said:

CAFCOlly said:

This, he has been well supported not just with money for a player like Wilson but by big wages to keep their most talented players & add players like Yann.

He has done a really good job at but lets not pretend they are little Bournemouth underdogs when it comes to money they are willing to spend.
    when he took charge of bournemouth they had a massive points deduction and a transfer embargo in league 2. He managed to save them, then get them promoted, then almost got them promoted again before they ever had any money. They only got that russian billionaire a year or so ago. Eddie Howe is a quality manager.