Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV programmes that you once loved but now think are shite

Can I start with 'A Question of Sport' - I once (30 years ago mind) thought this was unmissable. I now find it toe-curlingly unwatchable.

Comments

• Match of the day.
  • Mount Pleasant
    Soccer AM
  • Question of Sport's a good shout.

Many would argue that it's always been shite, but I used to enjoy Eastenders back I'm the day.
  • Can I start with 'A Question of Sport' - I once (30 years ago mind) thought this was unmissable. I now find it toe-curlingly unwatchable.

Matt is your surname, Dawson?
  • I miss the teleprinter pausing and keeping me on the edge of my seat.
  • I miss the teleprinter pausing and keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Agreed - I miss the teleprinter and the great Len Martin reading the results on that black, green and white backdrop.
  • Rehashed Scooby Do
    Rehashed Tom & Jerry
    CSI Vegas

• Now the new film's been announced I'm sure some will say 'Dad's Army'.

;-)
  • Q of S used to be unmissable, I have not watched any of the current series. It went downhill when they started "The captains challenge", something clearly designed to keep viewers with the attention span of a goldfish watching the programme. It also doesn't help that there are so few real personalities in sport now, just automatons who are utterly brilliant at what they do, but have nothing else going on "upstairs".

• Sponsored links:

• The Woodentops. (Although I still like Spotty Dog.)
  • There's a lot of comedies that haven't aged that well. As a kid I used to adore The Goodies but I watched some original episodes a while back and found it painfully unfunny.
  • Top Gear
    Soccer Am
    Have I Got News For You
  • The channel 4 red triangle films.
  • The channel 4 red triangle films.

you to watch some god awful films just to seem some fairly shit sex scenes.
  • The Simpsons.

Old episodes are still classics but they are more than scraping the barrel with family guy and futurama crossovers.

This!I believe that if they had stopped making episodes in the '90s The Simpsons could have gone down as one of the all time great shows. Should have pulled the plug years ago.
  • The Lawrie Wilson Show ;)
  • Have I got News for You
    Later with Jools
    Newsnight

A bit strong to say they are shite, but they've become missable for me, when the first two were must see even on playback, and Newsnight is a shadow of what it was.
  • Have I got News for You
    Later with Jools
    Newsnight

A bit strong to say they are shite, but they've become missable for me, when the first two were must see even on playback, and Newsnight is a shadow of what it was.

Good call - a lot of these shows seem to subtly (or not so subtly) dumb down to maximise ratings but, by doing so, lose the essential ingredients that made them so good in the first place

• We've seen attempts in the past to tinker with the formats of shows like Mastermind or University Challenge but thankfully these have been resisted which, IMO, makes them still eminently watchable.
  • Sponsored links:

• The football show that Olly Groom does (1905 I think). The first 4 episodes were good, but went rapidly downhill from there............
  • The football show that Olly Groom does (1905 I think). The first 4 episodes were good, but went rapidly downhill from there............

It's much better on the +1 channel. It's called 2005 I think.
  • Grand designs, its become a showcase for architects., although last weeks revisited in France wern't too bad.
  • edited October 2014
    Question of Sport, CSI and Soccer am as already said.

Also Top Gear a bit and certainly the 2nd Inbetweeners film

General Saturday night TV

I'm a celebrity

• Never mind the buzzcocks
    Anything that is now a annoyingly a 'celeb charity special' like family fortunes.
    Anything that is now a annoyingly a 'celeb charity special' like family fortunes.

Yes, that is a particular bugbear of mine. If TV execs find a successful format, as sure as night follows day, an appalling celebrity version will soon follow - Mastermind, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Big Brother, Masterchef, Bake Off....and the list goes on

• Celebrity Juice, it's just the same thing over and over. Still watch it for the boobies mind.

Yes, that is a particular bugbear of mine. If TV execs find a successful format, as sure as night follows day, an appalling celebrity version will soon follow - Mastermind, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Big Brother, Masterchef, Bake Off....and the list goes on

Would love to watch the price is right, family fortunes, strike it lucky, again but with normal people winning a bit for themselves poke the celebrity charity shit
  • The Queens speech.
  • Can I start with 'A Question of Sport' - I once (30 years ago mind) thought this was unmissable. I now find it toe-curlingly unwatchable.

Sue Barker. She's so bloody bland, just chuckling away as Phil Tufnell gets over excited trying to do the charades round.

Still gives her something to do in between Wimbledon and Sports personality of the year