Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dare I say it, Morgan Fox was better last season than Solly.

Solly was tenacious but he blocks far fewer crosses into the box than Fox.

Solly isn't as good a crosser wither.

Solly however does cause mistakes he closes down better, he nips at the oppositions ankles like a rabid jack russell.

You are joking right?

Firstly, one of Solly's strengths is that he doesn't get beat by the winger, therefore blocking or defending well before he can even put in a cross.

I lost count of the amount of times Fox got beaten by the winger for him not to recover and before you know it, the ball has been crossed, taking him out the game.

Not to mention there would be at least 2/3 times every match where Fox crosses the ball into the stands, Solly is more controlled with his crosses than Fox.

You could argue that statistically, Fox may block more crosses, but that would be because opposition teams target his side more than Solly's, therefore the more crosses they put in the box on his side, the more he should block.

I'm not digging him out, I genuinely believe he could have a very good season in League One, the fact he won't be coming up against many brilliant wingers will help his game develop as he gains confidence.

Just a couple of your points had to be a joke, surely?
    None were a joke.

They may have been over simplified points but Fox had some great games last season.

Granted I didn't get to as many games as most on here, but Fox is definitely put down a lot because he isn't a left footed Solly.

When a winger does pass Solly the block rarely occurs.

Fox does stand off the winger which isn't great but he does get a block in maybe a third to a half of the time when the winger beats him.

You even admit Solly is less tested than Fox :smile:
    They both defend differently, as you said Fox stands off his player, giving him more room to maybe adjust to a block, whereas Solly is a proactive defender who will get into his winger a lot more, meaning he often doesn't have to put himself into a position to put a block in.

Fox is tested more than Solly due to Solly being a better defender and more effective at what he does.

As said, I believe Fox will have a very good season this year if he stays, and eventually I believe he will become a centre back and a good one at that. His experience at left back will help him hugely.

I do think that Holmes-Dennis will be a very good option this season, much better going forward than Fox and benefit more with an inadverted winger, such as Holmes if he plays on the left.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

Dazzler21 said:

Solly however does cause mistakes he closes down better, he nips at the oppositions ankles like a rabid jack russell.

You are joking right?

Firstly, one of Solly's strengths is that he doesn't get beat by the winger, therefore blocking or defending well before he can even put in a cross.

I lost count of the amount of times Fox got beaten by the winger for him not to recover and before you know it, the ball has been crossed, taking him out the game.

Not to mention there would be at least 2/3 times every match where Fox crosses the ball into the stands, Solly is more controlled with his crosses than Fox.

You could argue that statistically, Fox may block more crosses, but that would be because opposition teams target his side more than Solly's, therefore the more crosses they put in the box on his side, the more he should block.

I'm not digging him out, I genuinely believe he could have a very good season in League One, the fact he won't be coming up against many brilliant wingers will help his game develop as he gains confidence.

None were a joke.

They may have been over simplified points but Fox had some great games last season.

Granted I didn't get to as many games as most on here, but Fox is definitely put down a lot because he isn't a left footed Solly.

Fox does stand off the winger which isn't great but he does get a block in maybe a third to a half of the time when the winger beats him.

Dazzler, can you please remind me of those great games Fox had last season ?

I never missed a home game & saw about 10 aways. I can't recall one.
  • Options
    I do already prefer THD to Fox.

I admit Fox isn't as good as Solly in general, but Solly looked very jaded last season.

I could see Fox at CB especially at this level.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I do already prefer THD to Fox.

I admit Fox isn't as good as Solly in general, but Solly looked very jaded last season.

I could see Fox at CB especially at this level.

I'll take that as a no :smile:
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

Dazzler21 said:

You are joking right?

None were a joke.

Middlesbrough at home... Kept Adomah in his pocket the whole match

Queens Park Rangers at home... What a strike that was for a Defender
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

Dazzler21 said:

You are joking right?

None were a joke.

Middlesbrough at home... Kept Adomah in his pocket the whole match

Queens Park Rangers at home... What a strike that was for a Defender
    Fair comment.
  • Options
    Not saying people are wrong for saying so, but just out of interest, why do people think Fox would be good at centre back?
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Not saying people are wrong for saying so, but just out of interest, why do people think Fox would be good at centre back?

I don't know how he would do at CB but i believe that was his academy position
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Agreed. I haven't the foggiest personally.
  • Options
    Is it really true the regime have turned down a £1.25m bid? Find this very hard to believe given their past form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    drewman said:

Is it really true the regime have turned down a £1.25m bid? Find this very hard to believe given their past form.

If THD were still here we'd have snapped their hands off
  • Options
    I'd drive him to Sheffield myself for half of that if it was true (and I admire the way he's applied himself in the face of the criticism from me and others before I get pounced on. Now a solid league 1 full back. But £1.25 mill! Do me a favour)
  • Options
    drewman said:

rumours thread says last Sheffield Weds bid was 2m
  • Options
    Said it on the transfer rumours thread but actually very pleased we've kept Fox. He's had a few poor performances but he's young, he's improving week by week, he's rarely had protection in front of him, he's come through the academy and cares about the club. IMO these are the exact traits the likes of Curbishley looked for in a player.
  • Options
    http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/owls/sheffield-wednesday-frustration-for-owls-as-charlton-athletic-turn-down-three-offers-for-morgan-fox-1-8099138

Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

The dismay that is projected that someone could actually refuse to accept the money offered by such a "massive" club is palpable.

But, hey, if you're the biggest club in the known universe, I suppose you're allowed a certain feeling of self entitlement...
  • Options
    We reject around £2 mil'n for Fox? !!! Yet sold Cousins for around £1.1 mil'n. Makes no sense at all IMO. Can only think it was to late for a replacement.

Yes his attitude is right but, he lacks any pace and when beaten seems uninterested in tracking back.

Water under the bridge now, but I cant help thinking would have been a more balanced squad if we'd taken the money and invested it in a goal scoring midfielder or 2.

• Options
    Fantastic cross for the first yesterday and another assist for the second.
  • Options
    A broken watch is correct twice a day.
  • Options

A broken watch is correct twice a day.

That's more times, than most men!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He looked good going forward and I don't have a problem with Fox but let's be honest Port Vale were absolutely awful going forward he was put under zero pressure. If they were 7th just shows how utterly awful this league is and god knows what it says about us.
  • Options
    They see the game through shit stained eyes when Fox plays. 2 weeks running he has been better than he has been. He's looked a proper player.
  • Options
    Well played Morgan. Possibly his best game for Charlton. Certainly his best for more than a year.

Two assists and he blocked a goal bound effort with his chest.

Credit where it's due, he was arguably our MOM & I can't remember that happening before.
  • Options
    Solly was dire last week ( maybe due to injury) but he cannot do no wrong in some eyes.

Solly has been consistently amazing for CAFC but not to the detriment of Fox always....
  • Options
    Maybe he's just found his level...

Probably increasing in confidence now he's no longer playing against Championship level wingers every week.
  • Options

Maybe he's just found his level...

Probably increasing in confidence now he's no longer playing against Championship level wingers every week.

Fox is a far better player than he is given credit for by a lot of our fans - as is the Charlton way once it's decided a player is 'shit' all objectivity goes out of the window and the player is then given up on by a lot of our support.
    I've heard some awful abuse hurled at Morgan by our own support yet he's just got on and done his job. He's an honest professional who works hard and deserves more credit.

Well said...My sentiments entirely.