Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Solly let himself get manhandled in the box for Ipswich's first and got caught in no-man's land for their third marking thin air. Fox played 45 and was taken off at half time because we needed to change it up, he'd picked up a tactical yellow and we had two other full-backs on the pitch. Solly had an absolute shocker on Saturday and considering he was left out because of his form in the first place he should hardly walk back into the team having had one of his worst games. He was a liability on Saturday, and I say that as someone who loves the bloke

The problem on Saturday was the Substitution... By bringing Solly one we reverted to a flat 4-4-2, when Jackson got subbed I was surprised Solly replaced him, instead I'd have brought Ba on in his place so that we kept the Diamond
    So KF's lack of tactical acumen forced Fox to play badly; good theory.
    Erm can you help me out as struggling to see where I'm defending Fox for his performance in my previous post?

Since you insist though...

I don't believe that you lose a match based one players poor performance, on Saturday I believe that we lost to a collective poor performance from a number of players. Whatever the result I always look deep into the performance to find out how we won / lost or drew...

Against Ipswich we started well playing the Diamond formation, everyone got into the faces of the Ipswich players and like against Wednesday I felt it was harming Ipswich (All I felt we were missing at the time was Reza to put the Goalkeeper / Defender under pressure as until he came on, they had all the time in the world to start an attack).

When Jackson got injured I felt that we could have put Ba on the pitch and we'd have kept the Diamond formation, instead we put Solly on, reverted to the 4-4-2 formation and so reverted to horrible style of play that saw the likes of Brentford etc. roll over us.

Until it went 1-0 I thought the only mistake that Fox made was when the ball was in their half of the pitch, he made a half attempt to go for the loose ball yet changed his mind when he realised the Ipswich player would get there first... that meant Fox was out of position and they almost counter-attacked, after it went 1-0, yes Fox fell apart (although took one for the team when he got the Yellow card else it would have been 3-0 before half-time) but others fell apart too so to lay all the blame at Fox's door is harsh

1-0 ... Ball was being headed around by everyone in the box... At one stage it fell to Makienok at the edge of the area, he had the time to let the ball come down and then boot it anywhere else, other than head it to the Ipswich player who was allowed to head it back to Murphy who then obliged by scoring.

2-0 ... Yes Fox was asleep but so was Sarr... had both / either player been awake, Bauer wouldnt have been forced to deflect the ball past Henderson into the net.

3-0 ... Fox wasn't even on the pitch for this one yet the ball was on the right so Solly should have done better
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    dickplumb said:

We have got two excellent left backs at the Club, Tareiq Holmes - Dennis and Archie Edwards. Morgan Fox always looks like a converted Centre half. I am not going to give Fox stick, but to play full back in the Championship you need a bit of pace and ability going forward and Fox has got neither.

And if you don't have that you need to ensure that you have positional sense... which for me is Morgan's biggest issue.

I fear that these days pace and the ability to go forward is an over-rated requirement for a Full-Back or any position.

Gary Neville and Ashley Cole are probably our best Full-Backs for England in recent years... Ashley Cole could bomb back and forward on one side (something that Solly can usually do) whereas Gary Neville wasn't the quickest he had the foot to pick a good pass whilst having the sense to get into a required position before the ball gets to where its going (i.e. If your having to use your pace to get back then you've almost failed from the off)

John Terry as he's got older is another perfect example of where having no pace isnt a hinderance whereas the likes of Theo Walcott / Andros Townsend / Kyle Walker / Raheem Sterlingthey've all got pace in their respective positions but dont have the football brain to ensure they dont always have to use their pace to get themselves out of trouble.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Joe Gomez are perfect examples of players with pace who have the brains to use it when required.

Jordi Alba is another... He's got mountains of pace but you never see him bombing down the wing, putting in a cross for Barcelona or for Diego Costa when playing for Spain because he doesn't have to, as the ball will always get to the destination quicker than the player if used correctly
  • Options
    Fox to me always seems to position himself too centrally, too near the other centre halves. I don't know if it's what he's been coached, but it makes him look like a 3rd centre half sometimes.
  • Options

Fox to me always seems to position himself too centrally, too near the other centre halves. I don't know if it's what he's been coached, but it makes him look like a 3rd centre half sometimes.

Useful to do when the play is over on the other side of the pitch as the opposite full-back is taught to get closer to the Centre-Back in those situations, sadly it seems to be Morgan's starting position all too often when the opposition start attacking down his side
  • Options
    Having a football brain helps, but pace can get you out of trouble defensively. Why do you think so many former wingers are being converted into full backs? John Terry is not a full back. If a full back is up against a pacy winger there will be occasions, despite being savvy, you are going to be found out. I believe players like Warman, Wiggins etc were wingers.
  • Options
    @dickplumb Warman definitely was as a youngster, I can vouch for that having seen the back of his heels as he went past me :blush:
  • Options

Solly let himself get manhandled in the box for Ipswich's first and got caught in no-man's land for their third marking thin air. Fox played 45 and was taken off at half time because we needed to change it up, he'd picked up a tactical yellow and we had two other full-backs on the pitch. Solly had an absolute shocker on Saturday and considering he was left out because of his form in the first place he should hardly walk back into the team having had one of his worst games. He was a liability on Saturday, and I say that as someone who loves the bloke

The problem on Saturday was the Substitution... By bringing Solly one we reverted to a flat 4-4-2, when Jackson got subbed I was surprised Solly replaced him, instead I'd have brought Ba on in his place so that we kept the Diamond
    I watched the game on TV so maybe it's not as easy to see the formation, but I thought we stuck with the diamond and that was why Solly came on. It meant THD as a left footer could take Jackson's place.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I watched the game on TV so maybe it's not as easy to see the formation, but I thought we stuck with the diamond and that was why Solly came on. It meant THD as a left footer could take Jackson's place.
    Hmm interesting... to me from the East Stand it looked like Tarieq was playing a lot wider and was almost hugging the touchline
  • Options
    Fox didnt play well but was probably our 2nd best defender out there behind Bauer. Sarr and Solly were worse imo.

Agree he probably needs to be dropped for THD but the main issue is we dont have enough of a squad to bring in replacements in midfield who would offer the defense more cover.

The whole squad is weak, thin and demoralized.

Time for an experienced man-manager, some defensive performances for 0-0 and nicking the occasional 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Having a football brain helps, but pace can get you out of trouble defensively. Why do you think so many former wingers are being converted into full backs? John Terry is not a full back. If a full back is up against a pacy winger there will be occasions, despite being savvy, you are going to be found out. I believe players like Warman, Wiggins etc were wingers.

Brian Kinsey too.
  • Options
    I was there and I think we kind of stuck to the diamond. Doesn't matter because big Mick set his team out to cancel out whatever our formation was supposed to be. Dickplumb is on the money about Fox. The way he shapes up, lack of spacial awareness and the way he kind of wanders across the back line makes him a centre back at best. Maybe a few months playing in that position on loan could be good for him. Oh for a converted winger like Warman.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

These days most full backs can't defend very well! It's as if teams pick 2 centre backs and a defensive midfielder to do the defensive duties, and choose full backs on their ability to provide the attacking width, especially with all the inverted wingers ahead of them!

How many times when watching MOTD do you see full backs failing to stop crosses coming over, which is basic defending really...
  • Options
    I just hope Fraeye puts Callum Harriot in front of Fox - that is if Fraeye lasts that long.
  • Options
    sm said:

I just hope Fraeye puts Callum Harriot in front of Fox - that is if Fraeye lasts that long.

Put CH in front of MF where exactly? The bus queue? Players available for transfer list? Washing the kit after training? Fox had a spell last season where he was adequate as left-back but before and since he wasn't 3rd division good enough, same as CH.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Hmm interesting... to me from the East Stand it looked like Tarieq was playing a lot wider and was almost hugging the touchline
    You're not wrong about THD, but really it just goes to show what a ridiculous decision it was to stick him there rather than bring Ba on
  • Options

Scoham said:

You're not wrong about THD, but really it just goes to show what a ridiculous decision it was to stick him there rather than bring Ba on
    Playing devils advocate... I s'pose hindsight is a wonderful thing in a way... Chris Solly has played over 100-games for Charlton whereas El-Hadji Ba hasnt even played 20-games, by bringing on Solly and by putting THD* on the Left in Midfield, both were going into their natural positions so was a case of round pegs in round holes...

*THD might be a Left-Back but played Left-Mid for Plymouth and Oxford
  • Options

Scoham said:

Playing devils advocate... I s'pose hindsight is a wonderful thing in a way... Chris Solly has played over 100-games for Charlton whereas El-Hadji Ba hasnt even played 20-games, by bringing on Solly and by putting THD* on the Left in Midfield, both were going into their natural positions so was a case of round pegs in round holes...

*THD might be a Left-Back but played Left-Mid for Plymouth and Oxford
    Except the left side of the diamond is a more complex position that just left midfield. If anything really it's a central midfield position with the responsibility to provide width and full back support when necessary. THD plays as a wide player, be it LB or LM, but in a diamond you also need to be able to compress the space and challenge in the middle. Ba is far more capable of filling that role than THD, and did very well on the right side of it against the Wendies. Solly didn't start because his form hasn't been great and THD has done excellently at right back, so given the system we were playing it seemed nuts to leave out one player and move another who had both shown they suited the system just to accommodate Solly. It doesn't matter how many games someone has played if bringing them on upsets the system
  • Options
    This thread speaks more about whats wrong with our club, its fans and the direction in which it is heading than RD or KM,

It speaks more about why people dont feel like attending anymore and it speaks more about why cafc fans are nothing I recognise from ten yrs ago

Shocking but atleast your not destroying our club
  • Options
    Good to see he was consistent again today with his player marks.
    what a player!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Him and Sarr on the left hand side of the defence :-0
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

HandG said:

I thought he played well today and, for all his faults, never gives less than 100%. Shame so many fans have it in for him....

I don't have it in for him. I do disagree with picking him each week, however. One of the many mistakes made this season was not replacing Wiggins with a proper left back.

I'll never knock a player for trying his best , but the best of Fox is league 2 standard
    This all day, no pace, not good enough.
  • Options
    Too often lately it looks as if Fox is playing at a level just above his skills. He tries for sure but at times seems not to have the vision or ability to cope when under pressure (much like his 'interim' manager). He could be OK next season in Division 1. He's still young and has time on his side, but he's not going to develop in the current side.
  • Options
    The guy is stealing a living
  • Options
    He's tried ever so hard to improve his game, but has the basic flaw of being slow on the turn, and that's not going to improve now. If he gets tight on a player he risks getting skinned and left for dead, the best he can often do is try to make it difficult for the player to get in an accurate cross.
  • Options
    Wiggins was sub for Sheff Wed yesterday,
    so much better than Fox will ever be, get him back on loan!!!
  • Options
    I personally have not been a fan, but credit where it's due he had a good game yesterday.
    Was it because he had bergdich in front working hard? Or was it down to Riga? Or even having his mate back?
  • Options

I personally have not been a fan, but credit where it's due he had a good game yesterday.
    Was it because he had bergdich in front working hard? Or was it down to Riga? Or even having his mate back?

Bit of all of that I think.

Did well. Got left 1 on 2 for their goal but he still nearly got to the cross.

having Lennon and Jorge inside must help him too.