Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014

Agree, NLA.

If he did it in the fifth minute and we turned the game around then this criticism would be 5% what it is now.

That said, wasn't his best performance, seen him play much better,

I am not so sure.. TBH has now cocked up twice in matches, late on and costing us points. He doesn't get as much grief over it because he is usually one of our stand out players. The fact that Fox is constantly average is what annoys me...if you are an average / limited player then you MUST be solid each and every game doing the the simple things well.

An average player that is not solid, is a liability in my book.
  • Options

Agree, NLA.

If he did it in the fifth minute and we turned the game around then this criticism would be 5% what it is now.

I am not so sure.. TBH has now cocked up twice in matches, late on and costing us points. He doesn't get as much grief over it because he is usually one of our stand out players. The fact that Fox is constantly average is what annoys me...if you are an average / limited player then you MUST be solid each and every game doing the the simple things well.

Could argue that TBH has done more for us this season than Fox, could make people cut him some more slack ...
  • Options

Greenie said:

14 full appearances for Charlton and age 21.
    I hope some on here weren't judged as harshly at age 21, after being in their 1st job for 3 weeks.

A job that he's been doing for most of his life at a junior level, and has been training day in day out for... You'd think people were protecting their baby the way they are bubble-wrapping Fox. He's 21, he's a full grown man and he's had 21 professional appearances... that's half a season of games..
    not like there was a report done into youth coaching and young english players saying they are judged too harshly and too early...

oh wait.
    Yeah yeah, another case of bubble wrapping young men, Mike Tyson was World Heavy Champion by the time he was 21. He was smashing the crap out of blokes 10 years older than him.
    comparing the average sportsman to one of the best ever? right great arguement :/
    Yes I am, 'cos it kicks your age argument into touch. Er 'right' whatever that means.
  • Options

Agree, NLA.

Could argue that TBH has done more for us this season than Fox, could make people cut him some more slack ...
    Exactly what I was saying. Every player will have a poor game, mis-kick the ball, cock up and concede a goal, miss an open goal etc. But there are reasons as to why some get away with it and others don't.

This season, Fox has been allowed to 'get away' with sub standard performances because he is 'one of our own' . Cannot imagine the abuse that would be aimed at Nego if it was that way around.
  • Options
    Having a go at Fox because of one mistake is ridiculous. Igor had probably his worst game for us, his miscontrol twice cost him decent goal scoring opportunities.

However, whether Fox is good enough at this level is a reasonable question. For a modern FB he does seem very limited going forward, I don't know whether that's a confidence issue or a technique/pace one. Maybe CB will be his best position?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I hope some on here weren't judged as harshly at age 21, after being in their 1st job for 3 weeks.

A job that he's been doing for most of his life at a junior level, and has been training day in day out for... You'd think people were protecting their baby the way they are bubble-wrapping Fox. He's 21, he's a full grown man and he's had 21 professional appearances... that's half a season of games..
    not like there was a report done into youth coaching and young english players saying they are judged too harshly and too early...

oh wait.
    Yeah yeah, another case of bubble wrapping young men, Mike Tyson was World Heavy Champion by the time he was 21. He was smashing the crap out of blokes 10 years older than him.
    comparing the average sportsman to one of the best ever? right great arguement :/
    Yes I am, 'cos it kicks your age argument into touch. Er 'right' whatever that means.
    Doesn't really kick his argument into touch though, does it? You can't compare Tyson to Fox because we're not in a position to attract or pay the best left back in the world. We have to make do with players at our level. It's also a completely different sport.

Tyson's an anomaly. How many other boxers were world champions at 21?
  • Options

I'm not even too bothered about that clearance, it was poor but looked like an instinct kick. I see flaws in his whole game, he literally needs another player to keep within spitting distance of him to cover any of his mishaps or when he's out of position. He's also not very fit for a 21 year old professional sportsman, last 10-15 he looks like he's running on empty and his heads gone. For the people who really like Foxy, may I ask why? What attributes does he bring to the team? I'm intrigued, I've gave him his shot and don't like him

I’m not sure anyone’s saying they “really like Foxy” – it’s just that I feel for a supporter base that agrees with our clubs stated ambition of developing talent “his shot” needs to last more than 14 matches – that, surely, is our part of the bargain ?
  • Options

Agree, NLA.

Exactly what I was saying. Every player will have a poor game, mis-kick the ball, cock up and concede a goal, miss an open goal etc. But there are reasons as to why some get away with it and others don't.

This season, Fox has been allowed to 'get away' with sub standard performances because he is 'one of our own' . Cannot imagine the abuse that would be aimed at Nego if it was that way around.
    Yep, sorry. Didn't read what you said properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

I'm not even too bothered about that clearance, it was poor but looked like an instinct kick. I see flaws in his whole game, he literally needs another player to keep within spitting distance of him to cover any of his mishaps or when he's out of position. He's also not very fit for a 21 year old professional sportsman, last 10-15 he looks like he's running on empty and his heads gone. For the people who really like Foxy, may I ask why? What attributes does he bring to the team? I'm intrigued, I've gave him his shot and don't like him

I’m not sure anyone’s saying they “really like Foxy” – it’s just that I feel for a supporter base that agrees with our clubs stated ambition of developing talent “his shot” needs to last more than 14 matches – that, surely, is our part of the bargain ?
    With some players you can usually tell early on if they 'have it' or not .. recently .. Gomez Cousins and Poyet 'had it' .. to me unfortunately Fox does not 'have it' enough for this division even as a stand in for Wiggins .. on Saturday he was in the wrong place at the wrong time but to me his misfortune at the end was just the icing on a very poor performance
    But what are your expectations ? At the moment Fox is a reserve left back – what does a reserve left back for a second tier team need to “have” that Fox doesn’t ?

We all want fantastic, accomplished players to play in every position for us – the truth is if we had two of those for each position in our squad we’d be bankrupt within three months of the season starting. The only way for Charlton Athletic to continue as a viable financial entity is by putting our faith in the youth system – I think Fox is an adequate reserve left back at the moment and perhaps with the experience he gets whilst understudy to Wiggins he may develop into something more. I believe it’s our responsibility as fans who are invested in the long term of this football club and not one result to give him the chance to develop because it supports the overall ethos of our club. Again I’ll remind you that in the two games prior to this one Fox had good reviews on the statbank thread.
  • Options
    For me he has had several poor games this season. I'm not 'anti fox' by the way, I'd like nothing more than our academy products to be a success. If I'm right there were six guys who came through the youth playing Saturday. That's something to be proud of.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

With some players you can usually tell early on if they 'have it' or not .. recently .. Gomez Cousins and Poyet 'had it' .. to me unfortunately Fox does not 'have it' enough for this division even as a stand in for Wiggins .. on Saturday he was in the wrong place at the wrong time but to me his misfortune at the end was just the icing on a very poor performance
    But what are your expectations ? At the moment Fox is a reserve left back – what does a reserve left back for a second tier team need to “have” that Fox doesn’t ?

We all want fantastic, accomplished players to play in every position for us – the truth is if we had two of those for each position in our squad we’d be bankrupt within three months of the season starting. The only way for Charlton Athletic to continue as a viable financial entity is by putting our faith in the youth system – I think Fox is an adequate reserve left back at the moment and perhaps with the experience he gets whilst understudy to Wiggins he may develop into something more. I believe it’s our responsibility as fans who are invested in the long term of this football club and not one result to give him the chance to develop because it supports the overall ethos of our club. Again I’ll remind you that in the two games prior to this one Fox had good reviews on the statbank thread.
    Solid.
    Consistant.
    No-Nonsense.

Can you take too much notice of the statbank? Everyone is biased towards Charlton and have their favourites and those that they don't like (not a dig, it is just natural).

I believe that Fox gets an extra mark or two for being from the Academy, Wilson gets the odd mark upgrade because he has a funny song, Harriott as per Fox, and Tududean loses marks because he is a 'SL reject'

• Options
    Bang on
  • Options
    masicat said:

I'm bloody sure the old twat who sits behind me moaning is posting here somewhere.

It's a fair cop guv!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He had a couple of OK games recently against Reading and Millwall, but he has never stood out for me or shown a particular trait that I feel would add something to the team (ie - Wiggins' pace, Wilson's tenacity etc).

He fills a gap, but has quite an awkward vibe about his play. Doesn't help that he is quite tall and not the quickest.

And no, this isn't a 'scapegoat' attack - as I've never been entirely convinced by him.

And btw, 21 is not 'young' at this level of Football. They're adults who have been playing with adults for 4-5 years.

+1 for this.
  • Options
    Correct with the awkward vibe about his play. He's not fast and doesn't seem particularly strong.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I see flaws in his whole game, he literally needs another player to keep within spitting distance of him to cover any of his mishaps or when he's out of position.

This was exactly the case at Reading when Bikey time and again bailed him out first half so @se9addick‌ the statbank doesn't always tell the full story. He went into that game with the debacle of the Fulham game still fresh in people's minds where he came in for a lot of criticism. The win that day would have bumped up everybody's score and his average was 7.25 which was actually below the team average of 7.29.

Many on here prior to Wiggins injury were calling for him to be replaced by Fox, sorry I didnt agree then and I certainly haven't seen anything to change my mind now. To me he is a centre back converted to full back, lacks decent pace and consequently the ability to get forward and join in attacks. A stop gap LB for me who Bob likes born out by the strange late sub appearances he kept giving him influenced in no small part by the extra height he brings to the team and the option of an out ball from our keeper's goal kicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

oh wait.
    Doesn't really kick his argument into touch though, does it? You can't compare Tyson to Fox because we're not in a position to attract or pay the best left back in the world. We have to make do with players at our level. It's also a completely different sport.

But it totally negates his argument that he is just a kid, if a 20 year old can win the World Heavyweight Championship, then a 21 year old who has been a footballer for 4-5 years can clear a football and take the pelters when he phucks up.

BTW.....

Youngest Men To Win Titles In Each Division.
    Heavyweight Mike Tyson: 20 years 4 months 22 days
    Cruiserweight Carlos De Leon:21 years 6 months 20 days
    Light Heavyweight Michael Moorer: 21 years 21 days
    Super Middleweight Darrin Van Horn: 22 years 8 months 11 days
    Middleweight Al McCoy: 19 years 5 months 14 days
    Junior Middleweight Darrin Van Horn: 20 years 4 months 28 days
    Welterweight Pipino Cuevas: 18 years 6 months 20 days
    Junior Welterweight Wilfred Benitez: 17 years 5 months 24 days
    Lightweight Edwin Rosario: 20 years 1 month 17 days
    Junior Lightweight Ben Villaflor: 19 years 5 months 15 days
    Featherweight Tony Canzoneri: 18 years 11 months 18 days
    Super Bantamweight Julio Gervacio: 20 years 1 month 11 days
    Bantamweight Teddy Baldock: 18 years 11 months 15 days
    Super Flyweight Cesar Polanco: 18 years 2 months 17 days
    Flyweight Joe Symonds: 19 years 4 months 18 days Junior
    Flyweight Netrnoi Vorasingh: 19 years 14 days
    Strawweight Hiroki Ioka: 18 years 9 months 10 days
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

oh wait.

But it totally negates his argument that he is just a kid, if a 20 year old can win the World Heavyweight Championship, then a 21 year old who has been a footballer for 4-5 years can clear a football and take the pelters when he phucks up.

BTW.....

Youngest Men To Win Titles In Each Division.
    Heavyweight Mike Tyson: 20 years 4 months 22 days
    Cruiserweight Carlos De Leon:21 years 6 months 20 days
    Light Heavyweight Michael Moorer: 21 years 21 days
    Super Middleweight Darrin Van Horn: 22 years 8 months 11 days
    Middleweight Al McCoy: 19 years 5 months 14 days
    Junior Middleweight Darrin Van Horn: 20 years 4 months 28 days
    Welterweight Pipino Cuevas: 18 years 6 months 20 days
    Junior Welterweight Wilfred Benitez: 17 years 5 months 24 days
    Lightweight Edwin Rosario: 20 years 1 month 17 days
    Junior Lightweight Ben Villaflor: 19 years 5 months 15 days
    Featherweight Tony Canzoneri: 18 years 11 months 18 days
    Super Bantamweight Julio Gervacio: 20 years 1 month 11 days
    Bantamweight Teddy Baldock: 18 years 11 months 15 days
    Super Flyweight Cesar Polanco: 18 years 2 months 17 days
    Flyweight Joe Symonds: 19 years 4 months 18 days Junior
    Flyweight Netrnoi Vorasingh: 19 years 14 days
    Strawweight Hiroki Ioka: 18 years 9 months 10 days
    Yeah, but how tall are they?
  • Options
    Fox last season was a fairly decent player although I didn't see him have anything about him that particularly stood out.

I don't think he's a bad player but I don't think he's good enough for us and I don't see that changing. I'd like to be proven wrong, I don't want a charlton player to fail, ever, that would be strange.

This season it seems as though he's got worse IMO although he has only played a handful of games, he doesn't fill me with confidence.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong.
  • Options

Fox last season was a fairly decent player although I didn't see him have anything about him that particularly stood out.

I don't think he's a bad player but I don't think he's good enough for us and I don't see that changing. I'd like to be proven wrong, I don't want a charlton player to fail, ever, that would be strange.

This season it seems as though he's got worse IMO although he has only played a handful of games, he doesn't fill me with confidence.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

This season he is being compared on a weekly basis to a significantly higher calibre of player. Last year, my left testicle would have looked like a decent player.
  • Options
    Evina anyone???
  • Options
    edited December 2014

After years of training and conditioning.

Anyone can undertake years of training yet at the end of the day it wont prepare you for the real world like first hand experience.

At least with a Footballer your taught how to play the game whereas in the real world your taught how to pass the exam not the common sense
  • Options
    Fox was the featured player in the program, he knows he is being pushed by THD, who will be pushed by Archie Edwards when he develops physically (although they can both play LM). Both have more potential than Fox who, as a number of posters have said, will probably end up plying his trade at a lower level. So before Fox gets squeezed out let's hope he makes the most of his chance in the shop window. Good for him, good for us.
  • Options

After years of training and conditioning.

Anyone can undertake years of training yet at the end of the day it wont prepare you for the real world like first hand experience.

At least with a Footballer your taught how to play the game whereas in the real world your taught how to pass the exam not the common sense
    So if you are stranded in a burning building, and the Fireman can't aim his hose correctly, you will let him off as, despite his training, he is not fully prepared and he has only attended 20 odd fires previously