Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arthur Horsfield

Born: 5/7/1946 Newcastle Upon Tyne
Debut: Walsall Away 12/8/72. Scored on his debut. Final Match: Cambridge United Away League Cup 19/8/1975.
Honours: One England Youth cap. Twice Anglo Italian Cup winner whilst with Swindon Town. 1972/1973 supporters player of the year.

"King" Arthur joined Charlton in June 1972 as part of a package deal that saw Ray Treacy move to Swindon Town. A good deal by manager Theo Foley. Charlton received £20,000 plus Horsfield and he went on to make 156 consecutive League and Cup appearances (a club record) scoring 61 goals. Arthur was leading goalscorer for the club during the 1972/1973 and 1973/1974 and played games at Centre half during the 1974/1975 promotion season from Division Three. He was also named Supporters player of the year in 1972/1973 for scoring 29 goals during his first season with the club.

Horsfield was then sold to Watford (managed by Graham Taylor) for £20,000 by Andy Nelson in September 1975 before joining Dartford as a player coach in 1977. When the old Watling Street ground was sold and housing placed on it, Arthur was honoured by having a close named after him.

His jobs after playing included working as a local postman and as of 2000 as a manager for Parcel Force in Thurrock.

As of 2011 Arthur still lives in the Gravesend area.

Comments

• Options
    Favourite player of mine (I had a signed photo of him as a boy): Good to see him on here.
  • Options
    I adored King Arthur in my early days at the Valley. A real old-fashioned, marauding centre forward who struck fear into the hearts of defenders in the old Third Division.

I remember joining a queue of 4-5 people at the old snack hut between the East open terrace and the Covered End. By the time I got served, Arthur had headed two goals (one harshly disallowed for using the centre half's upper body as a stepladder). Every time a cross came into the box, I thought we'd score with Arthur up front. Happy days.

I was devastated when Andy Nelson sold him just after we were promoted. But, as a fickle 11 year old, I soon learnt to "move on" when some bearded guy got 30 goals that season...
  • Options
    A, R, T, H,U,R Arthur Horsfield superstar, la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la
  • Options
    Liking these treads Shirty
  • Options
    Not a bad centre half either.
  • Options
    Arthur was a great player for us and complimented, in the time they played together, Killer in an old fashion two up front. Probably Yann is the nearest player we've had to him since.
  • Options
    Had just started going to the Valley in 1975 promotion season so don`t remember him really. Have seen photos of him scoring goals for us in some of the old programmes from that time and hearing what others have to say about him as a player.
  • Options
    I had a Union jack flag with CAFC and Arthur Horsfield across it which I was going to hang on the tower on my school roof on the day I left but unfortuanatley fell through the ceiling!. Happy days.

Great player Arthur no real pace but strong on the ball and superb in the air.
  • Options
    Great guy, great name.
  • Options
    Addicks Legend !! .. they don't make 'em like they used to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favourite Arthur Horsfield moment is nothing to do with football. Charlton hired the football league special for an away evening game at Brighton. On the way back the team were on the train. As the train approached Charlton we all stood by the doors only for the driver to forget to stop there and took us to Woolwich in stead. At woolwich we had to change platforms, AH was carrying a box, probably booze, and walked straight into a post on the platform. Can't remember seeing hit the post any other time!!!

He was one of my heroes! Wrote to Andy nelson to demand he returned to the forward line from playing center half.
  • Options
    By far my favourite player from that time.
  • Options
    He lived in gravesend and used to play a lot of golf at mid Kent golf club with an old uncle of mine. My uncle said " he could go out in the 70s and never have to buy a drink" he was that popular.
  • Options

Favourite player of mine (I had a signed photo of him as a boy): Good to see him on here.

Yep me too !

• Options
    Walks on Water
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

He lived in gravesend and used to play a lot of golf at mid Kent golf club with an old uncle of mine. My uncle said " he could go out in the 70s and never have to buy a drink" he was that popular.

He still lives in Gravesend, a few doors down from me.

• Options
    Remember him scoring with a far post header back into the opposite corner the week before Xmas '74 in the top of table clash v Blackburn (eventual champions) in the promotion season. Used to stand on the small red railings at the front of covered end behind the goal.

Also his vital equaliser away in April '75 v Peterborough when playing centre half.

A legend for me in my formative years as a fan.
  • Options
    BDL said:

markmc68 said:

He still lives in Gravesend, a few doors down from me.
    things must have gone downhill since he stopped playing :-)
  • Options

Hero of mine too. Great in the air from Peacock precision crosses.

Always thought he looked like Ray Reardon (the snooker player).
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Hero of mine too. Great in the air from Peacock precision crosses.

Always thought he looked like Ray Reardon (the snooker player).

I didn't think Dracula liked crosses? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    King Arthur sat next to me on the flight back from the Charlton Tunisia trip in 1975.

We chatted all the way back, he told me lots about his career up to then, behind the scenes stuff at Charlton and what he hoped to do after he'd finished playing. Warm friendly bloke who made a big impression on this 19 year old.

On the outward leg, Charlie Williams the comedian was seated next to me - another chatty friendly bloke, who told me about his playing career at Doncaster Rovers and what it was like to be one of the first black players in professional football. Plus stories about the comedian circuit, some other famous comedians of the time and life in general.

I wished I'd written all down!

• Options
    He was in the squad in my first season but I never saw him play. I don't think he could cut it in the 2nd Division.
  • Options
    Great to see King Arthur again!
  • Options
    Not the fastest or the most skillful but had that wonderful knack of always seeming to get on the end of crosses into the box. Was big, strong and able to hang in the air. Up there with Matt Tees and Kermo as the best headers of the ball I've seen play for Charlton.
  • Options

Not the fastest or the most skillful but had that wonderful knack of always seeming to get on the end of crosses into the box. Was big, strong and able to hang in the air. Up there with Matt Tees and Kermo as the best headers of the ball I've seen play for Charlton.

Don't forget Ron Saunders in that heading ability list.

• Options
    Arthur was a beacon of light for us in those two pretty dismal seasons of 72/73 and 73/74 after we went down, providing us with a much needed hero and cult figure. As others have said, he was excellent in the air and he was also a very streetwise and confident centre forward, with a bit of swagger. I particularly remember a couple of excellent performances against Bolton (Paul Jones and others) who went on to be champions of Division 3 in 72/73 and eventually made it to the top division. Although we eventually finished 11th in 72/73, it's a sobering thought that, without Arthur's goals, we would very probably have sunk into the 4th division, given that Rotherham went down on 41 points. He also did a good job for us at centre half in our promotion year.

Although Wikipedia is, for the most part, pretty unreliable, there are some interesting and credible quotes from Arthur from a Middlesbrough Supporters Magazine about his unhappy departures from Swindon and Charlton - basically, he was told on each occasion that, like it or not, he was on his way . He also had some friction at Watford after declining to comply with Graham Taylor's directive that all players had to live within 10 minutes of the ground, subsequently turned down a coaching role at the club and ended up retiring prematurely from league football at only 29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Horsfield

As the Killer has often said, the game is not all honey.
  • Options
    After Tees and then Treacy departed, we went through a succession of mediocre "strikers" until King Arthur arrived and as Blucher said above, gave us a new hero.
    If he had any pace at all he would have been playing at the top of the game.
    Great header of the ball and also formed a great partnership with Hales when he first arrived.
    Favourite memory: - A headed goal away at Peterborough in our '75 promotion season. The loud thud of the contact and the bullet bulging the net. Priceless.
  • Options
    I'm sure his daughter was my sons teacher at primary school about 10 years ago. I think we referred to it as 'H Power' in those days with Hales and Horsfield and of course George Hope.