Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• I must be getting soft in my old age but I think he's done he's time and he should be able to return to football.

agreed .. but this one is REALLY gonna bring out a whole host of different opinions
  • edited October 2014
    He has done his time, let him play. The case against him seemed dubious. People will love getting offended that I have and others share that opinion.

Lee Hughes, on the other hand, should never have been allowed to play again. What he did was truly horrific.
  • He HASN'T done his time. He's out on license.
  • edited October 2014
    WSS said:

But rape isn't?

It is and always will be a horrific act, no matter the circumstances around it.

Having said that, he has served the first part of his sentence and given he keeps his head down while showing an appropriate level of remorse, he should be allowed back into the game.
  • Lee Hughes was driving drunk and killed someone in an oncoming vehicle as a result. He then fled the scene.

I, of course, don't know the entire story regarding Ched Evans rape case so I may be wrong but Lee Hughes case seems worse.

I obviously don't condone rape at any level, it is a heinous crime but I think there are different levels.
  • What Luke McCormick did was 10 times worse in my opinion and he is still a professional footballer after serving his sentence.

Evans case was dubious and rape is a very strong word. I don't wish him luck but wouldn't be against him rejoining a club.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

The Olympic committee has said that Pistorias will not complete for 5 years even if he is out on licence, as that is his sentence, Evans should be the same, he got 5 years, he should not be allowed to play for 5 years.

That is a good argument. The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree.
  • She married you though, Dave, so the evidence isn't conclusive.
    ;-)
  • Has he shown any level of remorse?
  • nichorob said:

What Luke McCormick did was 10 times worse in my opinion and he is still a professional footballer after serving his sentence.

Evans case was dubious and rape is a very strong word. I don't wish him luck but wouldn't be against him rejoining a club.

Just out of interest, what if that club was Charlton?
  • Unless I am mistaken evidence from the mobile phones of his mates was used in the trial. That was obviously convincing enough to make the jury convict him.

I also agree that the Pistorious verdict, of no competing for the term of the full sentence is correct.
  • nichorob said:

What Luke McCormick did was 10 times worse in my opinion and he is still a professional footballer after serving his sentence.

Justice has been served through the proper channels, I would give him a chance.
  • Girlfriend's a doormat for sticking with him. Where's Marlon King playing now? These 2 would make a decent partnership.
  • Talal said:

Girlfriend's a doormat for sticking with him.

Her parents must be very proud.
  • nichorob said:

nichorob said:

Fair enough. I admire your consistency. I only asked because I get the sense that there are plenty of fans who would change their opinion if it involved their club.
  • Sponsored links:

• nichorob said:

nichorob said:

Fair enough. I admire your consistency. I only asked because I get the sense that there are plenty of fans who would change their opinion if it involved their club.
    Of course, but what can you argue with apart from dubious morals?
  • Gordon Strachan had it right. If the player is decent football forgives. Wife-beaters, violent drunks, drinking driving killers so why wouldn't it welcome ched evans back?
  • edited October 2014
    Carter said:

Gordon Strachan had it right. If the player is decent football forgives. Wife-beaters, violent drunks, drinking driving killers so why wouldn't it welcome ched evans back?

and don't forget cricket .. St Geoffrey Boycott, a convicted woman beater and now the fount of all cricket knowledge and a well entrenched BBC luvvie
  • Football should be self policing on this don't deny him the right to play but no club should employ him unless he is cleared on appeal. I for one would not attend The Valley if we signed him, I could not cheer on a convicted rapist.
  • He should be allowed to play football. But no club should employ him.

Indeed, surely as someone who will be classified as a sex offender he would not be employable as part of any football club which sees itself as an important part of ,and working in, the community

• edited October 2014
    How many people would let their children (and themselves to an extent) listen to music performed by a rapist ?
    Or watch a film starting a convicted rapist ?
    Would they have a positive stance on their child (or themselves) be friends with someone convicted of such a disgusting crime ?

So why would you allow your child to potentially idolise someone like that- like many footballers are nowadays
  • Complete and utter rubbish. Some one else (his lawyer) has written that statement and he's reading from an autocue. Heartfelt my arse.

What a poisonous prick.
  • I doubt he knows what humility means
  • the bloke has served his time, and should be able to go back to work... in a factory or whatever other job that's out of the public eye that he's qualified to do.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!