Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th October 1986. West Ham United 1 Charlton Athletic 3

Saturday 25th October 1986. First Division. Upton Park, Att: 24,141

West Ham United 1 (1) (Cottee 44) Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Melrose 9 seconds, Walsh 37, Pearson 76)

West Ham United: Parkes, Stewart, Parris, Gale, Hilton, Devonshire (Keen 78), Ward, Goddard, Dickens, Cottee, Orr.

Charlton Athletic: Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Peake, Thompson, Shirtliff, Lee, Stuart, Melrose, Aizlewood, Walsh (Pearson 46).

Referee: Roger Milford, Bristol.

Fastest goal: A misdirected pass from Gale to Lee led to Melrose scoring in just 9 seconds - the fastest recorded goal in Charlton's history.

Comments

• Options
    Apart from George Parris, that was a decent looking West Ham team.

Sat in the Chicken Run seats for this one and couldn't help leaping up for the Melrose goal. Got away with it (probably because they thought I wasn't worth it!)
  • Options
    Remember this game well, brilliant day and brilliant performance from us. We were on a good little run at the time of this match. Scoring after 9 seconds was crazy and knocked the stuffing out of West Ham. We also hit the underside of the bar a couple of minutes later. Colin Walsh then curled in a beauty and we were in total control.

They got one back before we wrapped it up through John Pearson`s tap in to cap a superb day for Charlton.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Just love the commentary on the end of season video for this one. In those days Charlton would use the oppositions video for the away games, and W Ham's co-commentator & expert summariser was Alvin Martin and his immortal words after the first goal went in was " its going to be hard for W Ham to come back from that"..............after NINE seconds !!!
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/14191122474

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    still got the video of this one somewhere

i'm sure we've talked about this game before on here

it took pearson an eternity to score the last goal he was like a horse struggling to run up the hill near the end of the grand national , his legs were all over the shop

can recall a coin or two coming into our section from the cheeky cockney boys

was it this game or another around that time with west ham, when a horse done a bolt of from a policeman and we all started singing goodbye horse
  • Options
    A few years before i started doing away games.

See the crowd was only 24k. What would we have taken to Upton Park in those days?
  • Options
    Away fans used to get a pen in the corner of the South Bank end which was terracing, It was full that day with Charlton so possibly 1,500-2,000
  • Options

See the crowd was only 24k. What would we have taken to Upton Park in those days?

you say only 24k but football attendances were low in those days man utd were sub 40k back then i'm sure and even before we left to selhurt we were 4-5k so 24k was a big crowd way back then

and e-cafc is right re our numbers which for us was maaaasive!
  • Options
    The attendance at Man Utd for our historic victory.

Date Opponents H / A Result

30 August 1986 Charlton Athletic H 0 – 1 37,544 Position 21st
  • Options
    W Ham kicked off didn't they?

pretty sure that was the game a policeman's helmet was getting chucked about in our end.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This game is one of my favorite memories .I live in chingford and at that time worked in dagenham for Coral the bookies who did a lot of corporate entertainment.I went along and had a pre match meal with frank mcavenie and his then page 3 girl friend jenny blyth and a few coral executives.As kick off approached it was obvious that none of the party had any intention of watching the football so at about 5 MINS to 3 PM I announced I was going out to the seats which were in the lower tear of the west stand.
    As has been related above we scored after 9 seconds.As I have said I was the only one of a party of about 6 or 7 who had come out to watch the football so when we scored I not only jumped up but ran up and down in the row of empty seats.Rather like the jasper carrot sketch I needed someone to communicate with the crowd to the effect"look I am punching his face".Fortunately for me Frank Mcavenie and Jenny Blyth came out to sit down and everyone forgot about me and spent the rest of the game ogling Jenny Blyth.
    I didnt cheer when our other goals went in just in case!
  • Options
    Wow...the years are going way too fast!!

Went to the game with GuinnessAddick and a WHam mate of ours. So he wouldn't be on his own, we said we'd sit with him and got tickets in the main stand, as close to the away end (so we'd be near our own fans).

We'd only been there a few minutes when it became obvious that this was also home to a bunch of Neanderthals - probably locals from The Queens!!

G and I decided sitting there would be a mare, so we left our mate and had a word with a steward. WHam had a tunnel from that stand through to the away end and we were let through. Just got to the top of the stairs and onto the terrace as the game kicked off & Nelse scored. We went absolutely mental...as did the WHam fans where we'd just come from!!!

Happy days!
  • Options
    Hankies on quite a few heads that day cant remember why. It was a great day with good numbers and an absolute skinfull.
  • Options
    What a day that was, watched it from the old North stand with an old work mate who supported West Ham (even though he was originally from Blackpool). He couldn't believe how good Charlton were that day.
  • Options

About 1800 I'd say.
  • Options
    I remember this game as the "joy and pain" match. I too like simonsen was in the chicken run, and also got away with celebrating the first, unfortunately not the second or the third! Ouch!!!
  • Options
    I didn't go but remember the game well because of Melrose's early goal and the fact that the game actually kicked off marginally before 3:00pm. You see my Wet Spam supporting mate couldn't go either and had settled down in front of the telly and selected the text service. He told me he was ranting at the BBC because his team were a goal down before the match had even started!