Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Brom apologise for tweet about Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini

Just found a juicy article on The Telegraph about some drama that unfolded on Twitter during the West Brom vs Man U match tonight.
West Bromwich Albion have issued a grudging apology for an official club Twitter message mocking Marouane Fellaini, shortly before the Manchester United player scored a brilliant individual goal.
I know what you're thinking; "I want all the disgusting details... preferably with pictures. What utter filth did West Brom say about him? Will there be lawyers at dawn tomorrow and a juicy libel case?".

I thought the same, after all - it must be quite the shocker if West Brom had to issue an apology, right...?
Albion’s Twitter feed responded to Fellaini being prepared for action by United manager Louis van Gaal by tweeting: “Fellaini has now taken his tracksuit off, fortunately he has a Man Utd strip on underneath”.
"But you promised me filth LuckyReds... What the F*CK is that?" - Calm down, I agree!

That's hardly "mocking", it's not even registering on the banter scale. If that was mocking then words will never quite be able to explain the sheer abuse that I witnessed.... at Primary School. Sorry to disappoint, but I fear there may have been a bit of an exaggeration here...
West Brom sources insisted the jibe had been light-hearted and the club later tweeted: “Sorry if a joke about a footballer not having a shirt on under his tracksuit top has caused such outrage. It was not intended as a slur.”
Have I missed something?

Surely there has to be a reason why such an innocent joke would ever be considered 'mocking'? Perhaps Fellaini arrived for a match stark b*ll*ck naked a few weeks back after forgetting his kit?

Whilst looking for any reason for the outrage bus to be burning it's precious petrol, I stumbled across the Daily Mail who did a similar bit of coverage, and I saw this comment below the article:
A club in the premier league behaving like a Sunday pub team, very stupid indeed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2800766/marouane-fellaini-makes-point-united-s-equaliser-telling-van-gaal.html#ixzz3GjdTfR5q
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
This comment has got a staggering 10 upvotes?! People are actually agreeing with him!

What kind of nonsense is this?

I don't know what's more concerning...

- The papers are making a total and utter non story (Literally: BREAKING NEWS: Man makes joke on Twitter) in to something else
- People got outraged about an innocent, and actually quite funny, joke
- West Brom felt the need to make an apology

Comments

• Options
    Well, yeah doesn't matter too us I suppose and yeah its 'just banter'

But, could you imagine the amounts of feathers being spat all over the place if say Millwall tweeted the same about (hmmm let me think of a random name) Simon Church.

Or for heavens sake, a pitch announcer saying Palarse
  • Options

But, could you imagine the amounts of feathers being spat all over the place if say Millwall tweeted the same about (hmmm let me think of a random name) Simon Church.

I'd be absolutely furious. I thought we'd seen the last of him! ;-)
  • Options
    If millawall said it about anyone in Charlton hopefully nobody would notice a grievance was even possible. Precious lot football fans.

I bet the man u lot had just finished screaming abuse at west from as well
  • Options

Hate to say it but even if Smallwall came out with something it would be bloody pathetic if we got offended... Why does life have to be so serious these days you've only got one life so may as well enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's being misinterpreted by a lot of people it seems.

The tweet was suggesting it's a relief he has a Man U kit on under his tracksuit rather than walking around with his Marouane Fellainis hanging out.

But people seem to think they meant thank god he's wearing a Man U kit because he's just a useless ball of hair and they'd like to see him on the pitch.

More overblown than today's Hurricane.
  • Options
    Man united fans getting annoyed by that tweet. Anything to ignore the fact that they couldn't beat an average west brom team.
  • Options
    Non story, im sure the BBC put the tweet up last night mocking the West Brom account after the goal, so they hardly deemed it offensive.
  • Options
    whatever .. his goal last night resurrected a floundering career
  • Options

The tweet was suggesting it's a relief he has a Man U kit on under his tracksuit rather than walking around with his Marouane Fellainis hanging out.

But people seem to think they meant thank god he's wearing a Man U kit because he's just a useless ball of hair and they'd like to see him on the pitch.

More overblown than today's Hurricane. </blockquote
    No the original joke is clearly implying that he's not very good. West Brom have tried to deflect it by saying that it's about him not being starkers.
    Still not worthy of getting upset about though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

More overblown than today's Hurricane.

There's no way on earth an official club account would make a joke about an opposition player being rubbish just as he's about to come on.

The joke they went for was a crap joke but not the one people are accusing them of.
  • Options
    Shocking rag.

Number of tweets quoted by the Daily Mail as evidence that a performance on Sunday’s Strictly Come Dancing had prompted a “backlash” from viewers
    Number of confirmed complaints to Ofcom or BBC about the routine as Mail went to print
    Number of photos of the performance in question posted on the Daily Mail website for readers
  • Options
    Textbook daily mail tbf:

Make sensationalist headline
    People click the link
    Find out there isn't actually any story
    Mail have their hit and remain as one of the most popular "news" websites in the world
    Repeat.