Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnny Summers

Born: 10/9/1927 Shepherds Bush
Died: 2/6/1962 UCH London. Aged 34 from Cancer.
Debut: Birmingham Away 17/11/56. Final match: Leeds Home 29/4/61

Johnny Summers is one of only four Charlton players to score over 100 league goals for the club (Leary, Hales and Flanagan are the other three). He signed from Millwall during the relegation season of 1956/1957 for £3,300 at age of 29 and went onto score 104 League and Cup goals in 182 appearances. (100 league goals in 171 games).

During his spell he scored 8 "Three or more goals in a game" for the club. (Only Eddie Firmani scored as many) His first hat trick was his 4th game for the club in 4-3 home defeat to Preston 8/12/56, and also hit 5 goals in a game on two separate occasions. The first was the famous 7-6 game against Huddersfield on 21/12/1957 whilst the 2nd occasion was a 7-4 win at home to Portsmouth on 1/10/1960.

He was Charlton top goalscorer for four different seasons (56/67,57/58,58/59 and 59/60)

Sadly Johnny was diagnosed with Lung Cancer and whilst the club continued to pay his wages he passed away at the far too young age of 34.

Any stories or memories on Johnny?

Comments

• Interesting to see the impressive stats. From memory he was considered on arrival as being just another journeyman. He turned out to be anything but, and found in his partnership, with Leary the opportunity to realise his true talents. Again from memory what seemed to excite most was the power of his striking....frequently net busters. On the run and heading for goal the pulse of the ground seemed to quicken !
  • edited October 2014
    Usually wore the number '11' shirt and played outside left. He was also played down the middle and just as good with his back to goal. My father used to tell me to watch his technique as he held the ball up well and when he turned / rolled his defender had a good shot on him. Most unusual these days seeing a wide man able to play as a target man; Ronaldo maybe? Suffice to say as an impressionable young boy he was MY Ronaldo back then. I definitely shed a tear when learning of his sad loss of life at such a relatively young age.

Never saw his famous 5 v Huddersfield but I saw the 5 against a visiting, unbeaten, top of the table Pompey on 1/10/60 in a 7-4 win who had the legendary Jimmy Dickinson in their side that day.
  • Summers, Leary and Lawrie - what an attacking force that was
  • Summers, Leary and Lawrie - what an attacking force that was

Indeed.

sadly all three died at a young age too.
  • saw the ball he scored five with against Huddersfield recently but can't remember where.

• My ex-colleague is his niece. Before she retired, she bought in several pictures of him relaxing with family after his scoring feat against Huddersfield. Non of this no alcohol malarkey in those days. He was getting stuck into a few bottles of stout and a packet of woodbines.
  • I had watched him at the "old" Den for millwall. In those days as a young teen ( 13,14, 15, 16), it was not unusual for myself and my mates (a couple of whom were Millwall fans) to go to Charlton one week and Millwall the next. I lived near Greenwich Church then so the distance to each ground was similar. Millwall had some good players in their team and the M. fans loved J.S who I remember was a fast and direct forward. I didn't expect him to turn up playing for Charlton, but when he did and settled into the team play, he was very exciting. I was fortunate to watch the 7-6 match, quite unbelievable.
  • He was on a 75 bus with me after a game....he lived in Catford.......I was too shy to talk to him!