Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

lost football grounds

BBC Article on what's happened to old grounds once clubs have moved to new stadia. I never made it to Burnden Park or Eastville but I've been to the others.

Comments

• Options
    Nice link, worth a good browse, but two out of the three threads* on the BBC article are going to get torpedoed.

*at last count
  • Options
    No wonder I never seem to get closer to completing the 92. Out of those lost grounds, the only ones I never visited were;

Darlington Feethams
    Doncaster Rovers Belle Vue
    Morecambe Christie Park
    Scarborough Athletic Ground

• Options
    There's that excellent website with all the old London grounds. I don't know the address but I'm sure someone on here does.
  • Options
    Second installment of the BBC's feature on lost football grounds. I've been to all these. Always liked the six floodlights at Hull

linky thing to part two
  • Options
    Do like these articles... Especially interesting to see what the area has become... i.e. Highbury the layout is still there but just flats and a private garden, although sad that Stoke's old ground has never been reused
  • Options
    Great link that. Shows the old away end at Southend
  • Options
    For my sins spent my formative years at Maine Road, got my first season ticket for my tenth birthday.
    Great memories watching some great teams and some absolutely dire ones! Unfortunately more of the dire ones than great ones.
    The kippax on a big game day was a fantastic place to be, the Etihad is a great stadium and I understand the financials surrounding clubs in the modern era, but some how it doesn't feel like Maine Road in its hey day - could of course just be me getting old and having rose tinted memories!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved maine road and the journey in and out proper football ground and away day

Same as the older st Andrews not the shit place they've turned it into
  • Options
    St Andrews has always been shit mate.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

This^ was sh*te in the 60's when we lost 4-0 and still is now.
  • Options
    garfield said:

For my sins spent my formative years at Maine Road, got my first season ticket for my tenth birthday.
    Great memories watching some great teams and some absolutely dire ones! Unfortunately more of the dire ones than great ones.
    The kippax on a big game day was a fantastic place to be, the Etihad is a great stadium and I understand the financials surrounding clubs in the modern era, but some how it doesn't feel like Maine Road in its hey day - could of course just be me getting old and having rose tinted memories!

Maine Road was superb....a real theatre.
  • Options
    Always been shit but it had that edge a bit of character made you feel like you were lucky to get out of there

Last season it was so sterile and like walking out of Fulham

The walk to the station was nothing it has lost everything

And talking to blues fans they feel it too
  • Options
    edited October 2014

That's my experience of it, but I can't help but think it would have been fun there yesterday.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Eastville (Bristol Rovers) was deeply hairy: a vast oval bounded by the dog-track, lit by way of pylons sprouting from corrugated roofs, with the elevated M32 slicing obliquely across one end. I was there in 1978 for our 5-5 draw, even more remarkable that no-one scored in the first 25 minutes or in the last 25 minutes. The cars on the motorway were slowing down to cop the action. And behind the goals, remnants of flower-beds, an attempt to soften this gloriously stark and bleak scene.

Robinson (2), Flanagan (2), Tydeman. Attendance: 8,120.
  • Options

Always been shit but it had that edge a bit of character made you feel like you were lucky to get out of there

Last season it was so sterile and like walking out of Fulham

The walk to the station was nothing it has lost everything

And talking to blues fans they feel it too

Don't think there will be anything sterile about the walk/jog/sprint back to the station when we go there in April.

Can imagine all the youngsters singing "going down" from the safety of our end, not realising what it was like 20 years ago.