Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Leary - Thoughts and Memories

Comments

• Options
    He was one of my Charlton heros as a kid, along with Sam Lawrie and Johnnie Summers. Always exciting football.
  • Options
    And all for a maximum of £15 per week.

• Options
    Nice tributes to possibly the best player I saw in a CAFC shirt. Saw him play cricket for Kent several times.
    Not mentioned so far was his great ability as a fielder, 381 matches 362 catches, including 6 in one innings.
  • Options

Do you think Roger Johnson's contract will be kept for posterity and looked at fondly in 50 years time ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Do you think Roger Johnson's contract will be kept for posterity and looked at fondly in 50 years time ?
    By his agent, possibly
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Some possess class some do not.

A no mark like Johnson does not belong on a thread about a legend like Leary.
  • Options
    At the time my favourite player.
  • Options
    First saw him play in the season after we were relegated from the old 1st division,
    round about 1956/57. Later remember when he became captain used to lead the team
    out by juggling the ball on his foot, very impessive!
    Was also a brilliant slip fielder for Kent, 1 always used to get to the Rectory Field
    for Kent v Surrey or occasionally v Essex. Tragic that he died so young.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Some possess class some do not.

A no mark like Johnson does not belong on a thread about a legend like Leary.
    Oh, sorry.
  • Options
    I saw much of Leary's Charlton career from the top of the old East Terrace at a height considerably above the back of the current East Stand. This position was so far above the pitch that it was almost like an aerial view - the players looked like ants way down below and you had a clear view of the gaps between them into which the players could potentially pass the ball. From there you could really appreciate Leary's ability to build attacks by threading the best available passes through those gaps (which you would think must have been much harder for him to spot from pitch level) and then often get forward to finish the move off with a goal.

What a player. Did he really play for the same club as the endless stream of forgotten and soon to be forgotten nonentities trotted out during the last 3 years by the one still going under the name Charlton Athletic?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Narrowly missed him as a Charlton player as he was transferred to QPR some weeks before I was taken to The Valley for my first game.

I saw him bat for Kent quite a few times though and would concur, particularly in the early to mid sixties, that he was not the most exciting batsman to watch generally working the ball away to leg for singles when he scored. In his defence though He often found himself wandering in at number five with only a few runs on the board and had a "shoring up" role to perform. I'm talking pre Denness and Luckhurst as regular openers. Lucky in fact would often come in at six or seven and help Stuart rebuild the innings. As others have said he was a brilliant close fielder most usually at leg slip and his leg spin was useful as a partnership breaker from time to time.

He did manage to lead the six hit league one year in the very early days of the John Player league which was quite some achievement for a reputed defensive batsman.

RIP Stuart. Those who saw you play football or cricket remember you with affection.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post @LenGlover.

Never saw him play for the Addicks but have fond memories of him playing for Kent.

He was a strong sweeper of the ball. I do remember a barage of sixes on a couple of John Player games.
  • Options
    Bump.....worth another airing.
  • Options
    My favourite player he was very gifted and the many times I saw him play the best player on the pitch.
  • Options
    Only saw him a couple of times before he was sold so felt cheated a little bit.
    If we had as many agents operating then as now, I would have been very surprised if Stuart Leary had not ended up at a better club than QPR were at that time.

• Options
    Never saw him play football,but did see him play for Kent in a charity game at Blackheath. He smashed the ball all over the place.It would have been in late 60z i think
  • Options
    Never saw him play for Charlton although my Dad was always very complimentary.

I did see him play for Kent many times. Very strong on the leg side - the classic one knee sweep was one of his most effective shots.

He was also a great fielder during the time when  in the average standard in county cricket was poor.
  • Options
    Just too young to have seen  him play. What I do remember was there was a minute’s silence for him at the opening game of the 1988/89 season against Liverpool. Throughout the whole minute there was booing  and loud renditions of “ Who the fucking hell was he?” from the Liverpool supporters. It wasn’t a small minority either. 

Just added to my loathing of that club and their adherents.

• Options

Stuart Leary I think probably the greatest player I have seen for Charlton, when I was young Eddie Firmani was my favourite, but then we sold him and Stuart took over as my favourite.

Charlton have had some great players over the years, but I think the players you see when you are a young boy or girl, always stand out.

• Options
    Stuart was playing when I was first taken to the Valley by my Dad. I remember standing at the front of the East Stand feet on the concrete holding onto the railings.
    Stuart a hero but for some reason I had soft spots for Sam Laurie and Roy Matthews. At that time we seemed to go through goalkeepers- Willie Duff, Mike Rose , Ken Jones, Peter Waklin, Noel Dwyer, settled when Charlie Wright arrived.
  • Options

Clyde FC in Cape Town is now Clyde Pinelands Association Football Club (CPAFC), so before they added the Pinelands bit i assume they would have been CAFC.

I will go and visit them for a game when i am back in Cape Town next month, as Pinelands is not far from where i live, and see if i can put some Charlton memorabilia in their clubhouse.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    KHA said:

As for some others, so for me: Stuart Leary was my favourite player. I have especially fond memories of what was to be his final season at the club: 1961-2.

We had a disastrous start, winning one, drawing two and losing nine of the first twelve games, and were already detached from the rest of the league.  By the start of December our W:D:L record was 3:3:13 and we looked absolutely certain to be relegated. However, during this period some critical changes were made. Frank Hill replaced Jimmy Trotter as manager, and Mike Bailey and Roy Matthews were brought into the team for the first time. From early December a transformation occurred. I remember in particular three successive home games during December against Preston, Leeds and Sunderland which we won 4-0, 3-1 and 2-0, Mike Bailey scoring four of those goals from left-half, but even more importantly Stuart Leary was pulling the strings. From then on, we were in promotion form, as is demonstrated by the following points turnaround (using two points for a win) from 9 points from the first 19 games to 30 from the last 23. When I say promotion form, this was literally the case in that our points- per- game average for those last 23 games (1.30) was just superior to that of Leyton Orient (1.29 over the whole season) who finished second and so were promoted.

For me, that season Leary came as close as it was possible to get to being single-handedly responsible for Charlton achieving what seemed impossible: avoiding relegation. And then, so sadly, we lost him because of a dispute over whether he should take his well-earned rest from all-year round professional sport during the football season or the cricket season. So, next season he joined QPR.

I was so dedicated to watching him that I used to take myself down to Loftus Road just to see him play for QPR. Objectively, he wasn’t able to reproduce at QPR the magnificence of his last season at Charlton, although his stats weren’t too shabby in his four years there: 94 matches, 29 goals.

The highlight of my own totally nondescript football ‘career’ was to find myself playing at inside left for my university against a QPR team which Alec Stock brought along for a training match against us. Playing for them at right half was none other than Stuart Leary. I couldn’t quite mentally absorb the fact that I was being marked by none other than Him (Gods merit a capital). I remember his saying to one of his team mates that this wing half business was easy and he could go on playing for years there. I think he was confusing the doddle of playing against a nineteen-year-old student with the rigours of the professional game, for that turned out to be his last season before retiring.

Fabulous post KHA, thanks for sharing.

Only saw Stuart the once, in my first ever visit to the Valley in Easter 1962 against Bristol Rovers.
    He scored one of the goals in a 2-1 victory, although I was too young to remember much about it.
    I was taken by my Uncle (Harry Lennon's granddad!) and caught the Charlton bug on that first visit.

Me and my brother used to love going to Charlton with Uncle John until we reached an age where we started going with our mates.
    Ironically my Uncle got sick of the lack of ambition at Charlton and when his own boys came along he took them to Spurs and they all became Spurs fans, as is Harry.
  • Options
    My boyhood hero. Saw him play many times, great partnership with Eddie Firmani. Absolutely gutted when he left. Also saw him play for Kent at Blackheath. You're right he swept everything.
  • Options
    Lucky enough to have seen Stuart play,my stand out memory was in our relegation year,when we played Wolves at the Valley and against all odds won 2-1,Stuart turned on a sixpence put the great Billy Wright on his arse and took the net out.Saw him play for kent,in those days Kent played all over the county,with a regular game against Surrey at Blackheath rectory field,great days bunking off school to see the likes of Peter May,Jim Laker,Godrey Evans and many more.Stuart was a fine all rounder,when bowling he would often stop about 2-3 yards short of the bowling crease and bowl from about 25 yards,causing some confusion for the batsman.Lovely man,great all round sportsman from a by gone era.
  • Options
    I didn’t realise we already had this excellent thread when I posted in the Would Have Been Their Birthday Today.

Great reading these memories.  Takes me back ...
  • Options
    I first started going to Charlton around February 1962, so saw the last few months of Stuart Leary and Sam Lawrie.

I remember Leary did not enthuse me, which just shows my lack of footy knowledge at the time.
    Do remember my favourites that first season were Mike Bailey, Roy Matthews and the antics of long John Hewie.
  • Options
    He was my Dad's idol & I was named after him. My Dad also said he did the "rabona" back in them days. Tragic end. One of Charlton Greatest. !
  • Options
    I first started going to Charlton around February 1962, so saw the last few months of Stuart Leary and Sam Lawrie.

I remember Leary did not enthuse me, which just shows my lack of footy knowledge at the time.
    Do remember my favourites that first season were Mike Bailey, Roy Matthews and the antics of long John Hewie.

Sadly you never saw Stuart, in he's younger days, I think the best player I ever saw for Charlton, Mike Bailey was some player as well, but typical Charlton sold him.
  • Options

Sadly you never saw Stuart, in he's younger days, I think the best player I ever saw for Charlton, Mike Bailey was some player as well, but typical Charlton sold him.
    And your namesake, still remember 7-6 game