Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall to wear Camo kit in honour of 100 years since WW1

Thought I'd share this with you lot....

We are very proud of our club & think it is a class act from everyone involved.

Below is a link to a short video made by the club with the poem "In Flanders field" by John McCrae read by Mr Holloway.

http://youtu.be/09SLmon4flM

MILLWALL will wear a camouflage kit in their home game against Brentford next month to raise money for injured troops.

The Lions have been given permission by the Football League to wear the specially-designed strip, which will benefit an army rehabilitation centre in Surrey.

The logo of Headley Court, Leatherhead, is emblazoned on the shirt and £10 from every sale will go to the facility.

Millwall hope to raise at least £20,000 for wounded soldiers and have released a YouTube video, featuring manager Ian Holloway, to promote the strip.

In the advert, Holloway can be heard reading war poem In Flanders Fields over footage of Lions players and soldiers wearing the kit at Headley Court.

Holloway told The Sun: "It's fair to say I had a lump in my throat and my eyes may have been watering.

"But this again shows what Millwall is all about and, until I came here, I didn't realise quite how much this club reaches out to the real things in life.

"I am bursting with pride that we're supporting Headley Court, where people who have fought for our country with such loyalty, honesty and bravery are being cared for.

"All of us at Millwall are proud to stand with them."

1,500 of the shirts will be going on sale next Monday, priced at £50, ahead of their official viewing against the Bees on the eve of Remembrance Sunday (November 8).

This year is the 100th anniversary of the First World War.

Comments

• Options

Bit unfair on Brentford, they won't be able to see them.

They'll be able to smell them though, so all good.
  • Options
    Fair play to them. Nice touch
  • Options
    Hang on, if my maths is right. 1,500 shirts at £50 each is quite a bit more than £20,000.
  • Options
    Respect to the spanners
    it would be nice if every prem player donated one days wages.
  • Options
    I thought I would never mention the following words but here goes. Well done Millwall
  • Options
    Well done Millwall.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Fair do's not sure why it's being posted here on a Charlton forum where nobody will buy one.... except you and maybe @Sparrows Lane Lion‌ but whatever...

This gesture really isn't what Millwall is all about in any way.

This is the opposite... it's an attempt to get people to like you.

Also £50.00? That's outrageous!

The club shop will be making a tidy chunk of profit there.

I'm no expert on these matters but that's potentially
    1,500.00 shirts at £50 could sell £75,000 worth of merchandise (unlikely)

Keeping going with the unlikely stats:

£10 of each to charity if all sold is £15,000

That also reads as around £10-£15 per shirt to Macron or £15,000 - £22,500

and store take of £25-£30 per shirt (as a special edition very few additional costs as staffing is already in place)

Potentially Millwall could make £37,500 - £45,000. Even if you only make £30,000 that's probably your two store staff paid for the year, creating more profit off normal sales.

You do care afterall... about yourselves making an extra few quid.

BUT Still you are making money for charity so fair play.
  • Options
    Hate to say it but fair play to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nevertheless Dazzler, a worthy cause still gets £20k.
  • Options
    Remembrance is greater than club rivalry so well done Millwall, our club will also be marking remembrance this year albeit in a different way.
  • Options
    Do clubs actually make much of a margin on shirts, i thought the bulk of the profit went to the suppliers, unlike most other consumer goods.
  • Options
    I've a horrible feeling MillwallFan will be along shortly to share his wit and wisdom and tell how lovely they really are.
  • Options
    I hate them lot from bermondsey

But that is a great gesture, don't care how much they are making out of it, near on 20 grand to headley court is superb in my book.

I've had the pleasure of working at headley court a few years ago on the drains and the work they do their is fantastic, don't think anyone of the troops treated their or their families will be begrudging millwall making some money out of it either and that's good enough in my book.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Fair do's not sure why it's being posted here on a Charlton forum where nobody will buy one.... except you and maybe @Sparrows Lane Lion‌ but whatever...

This gesture really isn't what Millwall is all about in any way.

This is the opposite... it's an attempt to get people to like you.

Also £50.00? That's outrageous!

The club shop will be making a tidy chunk of profit there.

I'm no expert on these matters but that's potentially
    1,500.00 shirts at £50 could sell £75,000 worth of merchandise (unlikely)

Keeping going with the unlikely stats:

£10 of each to charity if all sold is £15,000

That also reads as around £10-£15 per shirt to Macron or £15,000 - £22,500

and store take of £25-£30 per shirt (as a special edition very few additional costs as staffing is already in place)

Potentially Millwall could make £37,500 - £45,000. Even if you only make £30,000 that's probably your two store staff paid for the year, creating more profit off normal sales.

You do care afterall... about yourselves making an extra few quid.

BUT Still you are making money for charity so fair play.

You left out a hefty chunk: 16.67% to the Government by way of VAT (unless any of the kits sold are for kids of course).

Notwithstanding the figures, a nice gesture from the club and a bit of good publicity for a change cannot be bad for them can it?

Headley Court is amazing. A woman I used to work with spent some time there recovering from injuries and had nothing but high praise for the place. (She had crashed a fast jet on training and was badly hurt.)

• Options
    I would assume that unless the kit manufacturer makes the shirts for free then there's a cost to Millwall to which the 50 quid would need to cover.
  • Options
    Not wishing to piss on their bonfire but the uniforms in WW1 were khaki not camouflage
  • Options
    Well done Millwall. Now do fuck off!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Would love us to do something similar, being the club nearest to the Barracks and all that. Then again there was a 10-15 page thread debating whether we should/shouldn't have a Lee Rigby flag at away games, so something like this would always upset a few of our lot unfortunately.

Millwall's fanbase strike me as much more pro-English and pro soldier than most (thats a compliment by the way) so would always be able to pull something like this off without anyone whinging.

Well done Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be interesting to see what money is actually raised after the game with Brentford.... With the collection buckets I can see us raising a lot more than £20k.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Holloway told The Sun: "But this again shows what Millwall is all about and, until I came here, I didn't realise quite how much this club reaches out to the real things in life."

Afraid not Holloway - this is what Millwall are largely all about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwebe_YCszQ

Dont suppose it has ever interested you then eh?
  • Options
    Fair play to Millwall credit where it's due.
    On the pitch however, I hope this badly effects their passing.
  • Options

Not wishing to piss on their bonfire but the uniforms in WW1 were khaki not camouflage

Spanners will be Kack.

• Options
    Smart move by Millwall.
    cafctom said:

Would love us to do something similar, being the club nearest to the Barracks and all that. Then again there was a 10-15 page thread debating whether we should/shouldn't have a Lee Rigby flag at away games, so something like this would always upset a few of our lot unfortunately.

Millwall's fanbase strike me as much more pro-English and pro soldier than most (thats a compliment by the way) so would always be able to pull something like this off without anyone whinging.

Well done Millwall.

IMO a Lee Rigby flag is a lot different to this camouflage kit idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    There's only one thing to say to them and that's welldone great sentiment
  • Options

Correct. Not issued until the 1960's.............
  • Options
    Fair play Millwall.
    Through gritted teeth.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Correct. Not issued until the 1960's.............

Its a commemorative kit, not a replica kit
  • Options
    Well done Millwall.