Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The only way is up (hopefully) - Post your feedback here

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Another day, another defeat.

But certainly one we could take a few more positives from. We kept going for 90 minutes, which is all we can demand. A narrow 2-1 defeat would of been accepted by many beforehand, but following the event, you can't help but feel anything but sick in the stomach.

Yes Arsenal's movement, ability to find space, first touch and distribution is absolutely first classes. But we had chances to get something out of this; Herman and JFH both cocked up headers from 3 yards out towards the end.

And i'll leave comments on the ref to the rest of you (mind the language please !). The fact that the guy that scored both goals could arguably of been off the pitch hurts even more. Take that incident away, Battenburg was awful throughout. Shockingly. There are two teams on the park and we deserved better than that.

Every decision against Charlton was given with a card shown quicker than Schumaker down on a straight. Anything against Arsenal appeared to need consultation from the linesman, fourth official, Arsene Wenger, the Sky Sports studio and the FA.

I'm fed up. We deserve better luck than what we are getting.

Positives:

Carson is superb, another near faultless performance.
First half Faye looked like Viera, pray its nothing serious
Bent looked sharper than the lastocuple of games
We kept going

Negatives

We still can't retain the ball well / long enough
Two games on a row we've conceded a goal when a player has got on the inside of the full back.
We looked incredibly lathargic at the start of the 2nd half.
Faye picked up a knock
We're likely to be bottom with Sheff U winning.

Comments

• Options
    We were worth a point today. Definite pen not given and JFH should have scored to make it 2-2.

I find it hard to be despondent after a performance like that.
  • Options
    Good performance today, we fully deserved a point here. Hasselbaink played his best match for us and Faye and Carson were great. Only real dissapointment was Hreidarsson, who gave away to many space for crosses over and over again. Great goal from Van Persie, but that cross ball should never been allowed by Hermann.
  • Options
    Thought we came out with some real optimism today- played well against a world class team.

Before kick off i'd have settled for 0.3 and regarded 0.2 as a good result but came out today of the ground today reminded about why the premiership is a wonderful place to be.

For us the season starts against Fulham, and that match will be far more important than todays- but apart from a wonderstrike and some woeful refereeing, we would have got a point today. But, more importantly, we have to come out of today with confidence in both the team's and management's ability.

Bring Fulham on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm feeling fed up. Not with the performance, that exceeded my wildest expectations, but with the sheer injustice of it all given the blatant favouritism displayed to the bigger club by Clattenberg.

Given the trivial reasons that Clattenberg gave yellow cards for previously, I fail to see how Van Persie was allowed to stay on the pitch. If Hermann (before his yellow) or Kish had done that they would have had an early bath. We all know it.

Regarding the game we gave it a really good shot. I think every player can hold their head up after that. One extraordinary moment of brilliance separated us at the end of the day.

If we can consistently display that spirit in our forthcoming matches then I'm cautiously optimistic that we will get out of trouble.

The ignorance of some of the people around me was so infuriating that I nearly threw my flask at them.
  • Options
    [cite] LenGlover:[/cite]
    The ignorance of some of the people around me was so infuriating that I nearly threw my flask at them.

You should have smothered them with your tartan blanket ;O)
  • Options
    agree with you len.
    encouraged by the team performance, but extrenely disappointed with the ref.
    before yesterdays game i rated clattenburg as one of if not the best ref we have, and have been arguing his corner on the subject of mendes shot at man u last season (clearly down to the linesman).
    i look stupid now as i cant defend that performance yesterday.
    on the subject of refs, i watched motd and if olef mellberg challenged peter cech as terry did sorensen for chelsea goal, the goal would have not stood, and if it was liam ridgewell tackled drogba as makelele did to angel, then he would have walked (imo). i would say that it's a 'big club' thing but have seen the riena 'handball' which is a real shocker and dismisses that theory.
  • Options
    Performance was better, JFH had his best game so far, Clattenburg was a joke.

Positives

Carson, JFH, Bent, Lisbie.

Negatives

HH, Reid

As has been said before, our season starts at Fulham and our fans need to play their part. Even though its a Monday night its a great opportunity to take THOUSANDS over there and get behind the boys. Not too far, not too expensive, no excuses!

Wouldn't change the side too much, maybe bring Diawara in if he's fit and JT for Reid if he's fit and lets have a go at them.
  • Options
    I did as I said and kept away from the TV, Radio and computer all Saturday afternoon, however I couldn't avoid people and was told at 3.30 "you're winning 1-0" I then waited till 5pm for the obvious and later watched the match on Sky and then MoTD. I was very impressed with the team effort, they played some good football, missed some easy chances, as did Arsenal, but I believe that Dowie is building a good foundation but come the Fulham game he has got to start proving what the team can do. As for MoTD - words fail me !
  • Options
    A day later and I can see the plus points from yesterday. We kept going till the end, and we should have had a penalty and JFH should have put the header away. The problem is we lost, Arsenal (unsurprisingly) are a much better team and we are bottom of the Prem.

Our season starts with Fulham. I wasn't going to go as it was on Sky but have now decided that I will be there as the game is going to be incredibly important to our season. We need at least 4 points from Fulham and Watford.
  • Options
    [cite] Oscar:[/cite]
    Our season starts with Fulham. I wasn't going to go as it was on Sky but have now decided that I will be there as the game is going to be incredibly important to our season. We need at least 4 points from Fulham and Watford.

So, so true Oscar.

I'll be making exactly the same journey for exactly the same reasons. Just hope others still care enough to do the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will we be able to get tickets on the night? I work not too far away, but don't know whether I'll be able to get out in time to get to the match.
  • Options
    no problem at Fulham i believe.

Even if there is no tickets on sale for the away end, the 'neutral' section is the same stand with no divide. You just pay for there and walk through.
  • Options
    I think the four points from fulham and watford is absolutely spot on.....

IF, and it is a big IF, we can do that I will feel ten times better.....

At least he is staying calm and still seems confidence.....

I thought performance wise if was good, having seens reids effort again he did well and Lehmans save was very good low down, JFH's miss was shocking, the pen was a pen, end of, the van persie incident was terrible(you would have thought we would have got one), JT I think could fit into this side, Anyone know how long Djimi is out for?

I am gonna go positive, we turn it around and get the power back, a decent win against Fulham could make a huge difference and really Dowie is gonna be building it like a cup final.....

Decent crowd would really make a difference to the team I think.......

Ill be up at 5 am or whatever time it is here, thats for sure.......
  • Options
    [cite] mascot88:[/cite] Ill be up at 5 am or whatever time it is here, thats for sure.......

What you're not going? ;o)
  • Options
    Ill be there in Spirit!!

I know it sounds a bit soft but I sometimes have a quiet chant to myself when listening or watching on the stream....
  • Options
    that would only be soft if you supported another team-

It's perfectly acceptable when it's charlton!
  • Options
    Well, Ill book a couple of hours in the morning so I can go in a bit late..... hopefully this streaming thing will keep working if the match is live in the Uk then It might be on the box anyway which would be great!!!

WE NEED A WIN!!

CAFC
  • Options
    I am an Occasional Away follower, however in a sick sort of way am enjoying the football much more this year. I'll be going Foolham for sure.
  • Options
    From 10% going - following the drumming up of support today I am up to 80%. Whether this continues up to the 100% or starts to drift downwards remains to be seen ...............

How much are the ticket thingies?
  • Options
    i'll be at the cottage cheering the lads on, howitzers sorting out our tickets. crucial crucial game, 3 points will move us up a few places. to be honest this will be my first away game for a little while, i only hope we don't pick up any injuries during the international break, a few get back to full fitness, and that come 8pm monday 16th the players will be as up for the fight as i will (admittedly after a few sherberts)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Ketman: Bring your date, and her kids too... then the ex will have to get a ticket to see what you're all up to... before we know it, our "support" will be massive!
  • Options
    [cite] LoOkOuT:[/cite]@Ketman: Bring your date, and her kids too... then the ex will have to get a ticket to see what you're all up to... before we know it, our "support" will be massive!

Gold, that comedy gold lookie! quality