Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice on Shoddy Building work claiming money back from the builder please?

edited October 2014 in General Charlton
Hi All,

I am looking for Urgent advise please?

Without knowing the full facts, a friend of mine has had some building work done at her property and she is unhappy with his poor workmanship, one of the words she describes it as shoddy.
The problem she has got is that she has paid a lot of money for it and is looking for help in this matter. Obviously she would like her money back.

Is there anyone in the building trade (or in the legal trade ie solicitor) or has anyone been through this experience who could advise myself (and her) who she could turn to in order to try and claim her money back?

She is a lovely person and we would appreciate all the advice we can get.

Kind Regards

Paul

Comments

• Options
    Is the builder a CL poster?
  • Options
    Kidnap their kids.
  • Options
    Did the work require Building Control approval?
  • Options

You are Oreilly men

• Options
    Half of the money should not have been paid until works were complete and to satisfaction.
  • Options
    Trading Standards would be a good start and take it from there.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Half of the money should not have been paid until works were complete and to satisfaction.

Surprised at how often people seem to pay up before works are finished.

I know domestic work is different to commercial, but surely there should be staged payments and always try to argue 5% retention until after the defects period.
  • Options

PL54 said:

I know domestic work is different to commercial, but surely there should be staged payments and always try to argue 5% retention until after the defects period.
    I'm having bathrooms done at the moinute and 50% up front and 50% upon my total satisfaction
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I'm having bathrooms done at the moinute and 50% up front and 50% upon my total satisfaction
    That doesn't mean you should pay 50% for all work.
    Say you had a large house extention for, say 100k, do you honestly think a builder would let you retain 50k?
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

That doesn't mean you should pay 50% for all work.
    Say you had a large house extention for, say 100k, do you honestly think a builder would let you retain 50k?
    He'd have no choice. If he didn't I'd find somebody else that would.
  • Options
    Morning all. no I don't think he is a CL poster. (well I hope not). I agree with you all. If that was me personally I would have made payments. However, that is all well in hindsight and hindsight is a wonderful things. Maybe she didn't know she could so that. I don't know what was built or anything about Building Control. I have mentioned to her about Citizen's advice Bearuax etc. I will now refer her to Trading Standards and thanks Mountsfield Park. I will pass on those links to her. I have also mentioned small claims court, she has taken photos of his work and I suggested maybe to get an independent builder as well to get a cost on how much to put right what the previous builder has done. I hope she is successful but you know what builders are like
  • Options

Sorry to cut across threads and introduce politics into this but all trading standards services in the UK have had their funding significantly cut and I doubt if they will be in a position to assist. (8 London boroughs for instance now have 2 or less TSO's working for them who have to focus as best they can on tackling serious criminality rather than providing civil advice).

First stop is the CAB service as linked above. They are an excellent source of first tier advice and will pass any potential criminal complaints on for further consideration by the local trading standards service. It may be this builder is on their radar.

Getting back to the problem the CAB adviser will cover this but it's worth exploring where the contract was agreed and when as it's potentially an illegal contract for which she was not required to pay at all. Always a useful negotiating tool in getting problems sorted out.
  • Options

Sorry to cut across threads and introduce politics into this but all trading standards services in the UK have had their funding significantly cut and I doubt if they will be in a position to assist. (8 London boroughs for instance now have 2 or less TSO's working for them who have to focus as best they can on tackling serious criminality rather than providing civil advice).

First stop is the CAB service as linked above. They are an excellent source of first tier advice and will pass any potential criminal complaints on for further consideration by the local trading standards service. It may be this builder is on their radar.

Getting back to the problem the CAB adviser will cover this but it's worth exploring where the contract was agreed and when as it's potentially an illegal contract for which she was not required to pay at all. Always a useful negotiating tool in getting problems sorted out.
    I didn't realise that BA. That's shocking really as consumers seem to be getting less and less rights.
  • Options
    Is the builder a sole trader or does he advertise as a company? Is he a member of a trade federation such as the Federation of Master Builders as they may be worth a call, although they tend to keep their involvement to a minimum.

You refer to your friend as a woman. It may sound sexist but many tradesmen will take advantage of a customer who is female, elderly or disabled and I always advise these people to get a male friend or relation to support them during all negotiations with builders, etc.
    It should not happen but I am amazed at the number of clients who engage a builder with little more than a verbal agreement on what is to be done and how payment is to be made.

Personally, I never ask for money before work is carried out and allow our client to satisfy themselves that the work is completed as agreed but many builders insist on "money up front".

I hope your friend can get things sorted out, but it will be very unusual for the builder to give back money once he has been paid.
  • Options
    Ring em up and say this
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your friends tale Rudders.
    As Del above states this makes it bad for every builder/trades person.
    Frankly most builders would not expect payment up front, they may request it, but in the case of building an extension say, building control would come around and sign it off, at stages, then consider discussing money at say roof level. Of course with the new planning laws, say on small extensions that may be by-passsed. Hate to say it, but I will only use contractors that my contacts suggest. I then ask for a written quote. I do a lot of the donkey work myself, buy the materials etc. A lot of builders will not like that, but then I have the time to wait until the right person comes along. I ask for a start date, a top price, and a finish date, as some builders seem to want to 'wander off '. Both my sons are in the building trade. They never ask for money up front, and if materials are required give the customer the choice of supplying them. My sons give a full VAT receipt for the materials. These day's they tend to do smaller jobs, as they both work full time. CRB, and trading standards are fine, but even if you get a judgement in a small claims court, that does not guarantee your money, and you have to still get the work done. I have been lucky, but then I am not after a cheap job, or expecting to be ripped off. Personal recommendation is often the best way, or if you see some one doing some work, go back a couple of weeks after they have left and ask the owner?. If it is a local company, the local paper may be of use......... but by that time she probably would not want them back anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Some good advice on here, which I would summarise as making sure you check out the commerical reality of the situation before making any further spend on legal advice. Thats got to be the key point here as you do not want to chuck good money after bad.

I did a case for a family friend who had been robbed to the tune of 50K (it actually made the Cowboy Builders show on 5!). Whilst securing the CCJ and later the writ of Fieri Facias for enforcement was fairly easy (the original claim obtained default judgment as the Cowboy in question didnt even respond), extracating any money out of the theiving git proved a lot harder. He simply didnt care, had no assets in his name and had started trading as another company.

My experience of TS and CAB is underwhelming and I think you would be in the extreme minority of persons getting useful help from them if you are recovering against sole traders and small companies. I just dont think they have the resources to help the average person.

My advice would be to try and establish whether the rogue in question has any skin left in the game, is his company still trading and does he own property? Once you find out there are assets that you can go against, then the legal process can be done yourselves. Money Claim Online is easy to use as a layman.

As the tradesman on here state, you need to do your due diligence upfront as its very hard to recover against the true rogues in the building trade. Any decent professional would not take your money upfront with no work done. If they need money for materials then most reputable sorts would happily provide receipts instantly and tell you exactly where they are going shopping with your money.