Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs Birmingham City | Sat 4th Oct 2014 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Birmingham City
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – Paul Tierney (Lancashire)

INTRODUCTION

If Carlsberg did Tuesday nights...!

Not only was Tuesday a terrific night for Bob Peeters and his squad, but also for their opponents on Saturday: Birmingham.

Lee Clark’s team defeated Addicks’ rivals Millwall to add further joy for the travelling Charlton fans, who themselves, witnessed a robbery at Carrow Road.

In all seriousness, the spirit, bravery, determination and excellence that was lead from their Colonel Jackson gave Charlton a moment to remember for a long time.

Now the attention must be towards Saturday’s game and the possibility of clutching another three points plus continuing to head up the table.

THE OPPOSITION

Despite winning at the Toolbox in midweek, Birmingham still haven’t enjoyed the best of seasons so far and are currently 20th in the table and three points away from the relegation zone.

To be fair to Lee Clark’s side, they do have one of the lowest budgets in the league and will rely mostly on their loan signings to help them throughout the course of the season.

In the last campaign, the Blues only just avoid relegation to League One through a last-minute equaliser from Paul Caddis in a 2-2 draw with Bolton which consequently sent Doncaster down instead.

In terms of Saturday’s fixture away at The Valley, Birmingham will be looking to the likes of Clayton Donaldson, Wes Thomas and David Cotterill, to get a good result at SE7.

ONE TO WATCH – Darren Randolph

My player to watch this week is former Addick: Darren Randolph.

The Republic of Ireland international joined Birmingham in May 2013 following a three-year spell with Scottish side Motherwell.

As Charlton fans will be aware, Randolph is a very good goalkeeper and despite only featuring 16 times for the Addicks, he did have some memorable moments including a last-minute point-blank save from a Jermaine Beckford header in a 1-0 victory over Leeds.

He was ever-present for Birmingham last season and if Lee Clark’s side are to get a good result at The Valley, he’ll certainly need to be on top form.

LINE-UP

Although the midweek victory over Norwich was fantastic, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see quite a few changes from Bob Peeters this weekend.

One definite absentee will be Tal Ben Haim who has been very impressive so far this season. He will miss the game on Saturday due to religious reasons.

With Ben Haim missing, it’s more than likely that Michael Morrison will step in for his first league game of the season. However, Joe Gomez will also be in contention following excellent displays at right-back.

Chris Solly is likely to return at right-back. While, Henderson, Bikey and Wiggins should start.

In midfield, Johan Gudmundsson is still a doubt, so Lawrie Wilson could keep his spot at right-midfield. Following his goal against Norwich, Jackson will continue alongside Yoni Buyens.

Elsewhere, Jordan Cousins and Frederic Bulot will be hoping to keep their spots in midfield following solid displays at Carrow Road.

It’s unknown whether George Tucudean will be fit enough to start. If so, he may start upfront alongside Igor Vetokele.

Karlan Ahearne-Grant will be hoping to be amongst the substitutes bench again after an impressive cameo on his professional debut in midweek.

Charlton - Championship - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

The expectation of three points has risen following the win at Norwich and perhaps, rightly so.
However, I do think that this Charlton team will prove just a bit too strong for Birmingham, so I’ll go for:

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Birmingham City

Comments

• Charlton Athletic 5-0 Birmingham City
  • Charlestown Athletes 0 - 4 Birmingham Alabama State Troopers
  • Boo - had all the options covered there.
  • Addickted said:

Boo - had all the options covered there.

Great effort that Addickted!
  • Charlton 3-0

Igor hatrick.
  • 2-1 win for the Mighty Addicks, Igor with both goals as he gets back to what he does best.
  • Charlton 1-1 Birmingham
  • edited October 2014
    Another 2-1 win prediction here. Igor will get one and I'll go with Bulot to get his first for Charlton.
  • Charlton 2-0 Igor and Bulot with the goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon Morgan Fox will come in for Morrison but other than that agree with the Preview :)
  • 2-0 addicks ....match thread from 2 pm.
  • I reckon Morgan Fox will come in for Morrison but other than that agree with the Preview :)

Any reason for that or just a guess?
  • We'll play well have loads of possession yet lose

0-2 to Brum
  • We'll play well have loads of possession yet lose

0-2 to Brum

You've been following Charlton too long. So many times we lose to a lower ranking team to end a good run.

With you but think we'll score. 1-2.
  • Scoham said:

I reckon Morgan Fox will come in for Morrison but other than that agree with the Preview :)

For the fact that against Derby and Norwich... Peeters has preferred to throw Fox into the Defence when holding out rather than Morrison
  • Scoham said:

I reckon Morgan Fox will come in for Morrison but other than that agree with the Preview :)

For the fact that against Derby and Norwich... Peeters has preferred to throw Fox into the Defence when holding out rather than Morrison
    Yeah on the left of midfield most of the time.

Morrison or Gomez will come in for Tal.
  • 2-1 Charlton but hard fought and a late winner.
  • We will be 100% nailed on, indefatigable pony. We all know it. If there is one person on here who thinks otherwise, they are either on happy pills or have consigned recollections of previous Charlton letdowns to a remote dark place in the back of their minds...

0-1 to Brum
  • Sponsored links:

• A game we should win, but as Charlton fans know, they are the ones we usually don't. Will say what I said against Norwich, I fear we will lose this one, but hope I'm wrong, (again).
  • I can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • 3-0 To BP's Red & too much White Army.
  • Birmingham are a poor home side but a decent away side.

I say 1-1 because if they park the bus, we don't know if we can break down a defensive unit ?

At Udders, Bikey won the header in last mins for Igor's goal in 1-1 draw.

For us to win, the partner of Igor needs to play a blinder, George or ???

This is Bob Peeters team so the results are so different to last season so far.

The problem is we fans are like a boxer who's taken so many big hits in the last two full seasons
    at home (20 defeats without checking) it's hard to focus and be confident.

Let's not be complacent.
  • edited October 2014
    This is a game where we need to take the initiative. That's not to underestimate Brum but I would hope the game would have a different feel than the possession we saw Watford and Wolves have for example.

For me, we need to go back to 4-4-2. With George up top with Igor. Bulot on the left and JBG on the right (guessing he will be out though).

Assuming he is out, I would pick

Henderson
    Solly
    Wiggins
    Bikey
    Morro (deserves a chance for this game but imagine if he plays a blinder and TBH doesn't get back in?)
    Cousins
    Buyens
    Jackson (or Wilson on right, Cousins in centre)
    Bulot
    Tucudean
    Vetokele

Subs:

Pope
    Gomez
    Fox
    Wilson
    Moussa
    Harriott
    Ahearne Grant
  • They are better away than they are at home.
    I think a 1-2 defeat.
  • -------------Henderson
    Gomez----Morrison----Bikey----Wiggins
    -----------Cousins
    Wilson------------Jackson------------Bulot
    ----------Vetokele----Tucudean

Pope
    Solly
    Fox
    Moussa
    Harriott
    Ahearne-Grant
    D.Bent
  • First game we could reasonably expect to win. Therefore can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • Saturday is Yom Kippur.

In 1973 the Arab states of Egypt and Syria with help from Jordan and others launched a surprise attack on Israel on Yom Kippur hoping to catch the Jewish state unprepared while the whole country was shut down for the religious holiday.

Despite early gains the "away team" of Egypt and Syria were soon stopped and the war was another victory for "plucky little" Israel.

As it was so shall it be again.

Birmingham's invading hordes will gain an early advantage but Bob will re-group his troops and drive them back to the (non-Golan) Heights (old name for the East Terrace) and secure victory by a score of 3 - 1.

Birmingham will then try to enforce an oil embargo on London until they realise that don't have any oil.

Charlton wandered for many years in the wilderness before returning home and we have had many players who were unable to play on Saturdays (or any day of the week). We even had a player whose nickname was Kosher. Let's face it, we have a lot in common with the Jews. We are God's chosen football team, after all.

Shalom aleichem

Sorry but... wtf?