Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly: When Saturday comes, or midweek as well.

edited September 2014 in General Charlton
In Chris Solly's 120 plus Charlton career, you can count his bad games on one hand and still have fingers over.

Now last season he only managed 10 games, this current one he's on 7 matches already, only missing two midweek games.

It's been hinted by Big Bob that they are going to try to increase his training and if all go well, midweek games could be back on the agenda.

Now we have never really been told the exact problem but when a guy can only train intermittently because of his knee (swelling or pain or both)
you do wonder how he could start playing 3 games in a week.

If Chris plays all the Saturday games only it look like he would play 34 matches. Better than last season and he could get a reaction if pushed too much.

The medical experts can't be sure either way, as it sound quite individual. Ledley King's Knee issues started when he was in his mid 20's unless they kept it quiet before then.

To get 44 games out of CS (2games missed so far) would be great (no illness or other injuries) but someone got a tough call.

How do you CL see the situation with our two time POTY. (if you asked 2 experts you will get 2 different answers)

Comments

• I think he has chronic problems with his cartilage... I.e. He doesn't have any left in his right knee. Any small twist to that knee will leave him in agony and his knee swollen

Totally inoperable... Nothing u can do but manage it. You can build up the quads to strengthen it but that's precautionary rather than preventative.

I take my hat off to Chris for battling through it. Total CafC legend in my eyes.

He was different class Saturday. Reads the game a good 5 seconds ahead and is therefore always in the right position.
  • edited September 2014
    Ledley King made 268 aps in 13 seasons. average of 20 games a season.
    Harry Redknapp's Quote was, he has no cartilage and it's just bone on bone, that's why he just does gym work and swimming and no running in training.

Maybe this is different to solly's issues because how can it be improving otherwise ?
  • Nah think it's exactly the same Sam mate

U won't be out a long.time when it flares up...6-8 weeks

If that is the case, better to get 34 games rather than risk him midweek and we lose him for 2 months or so ?

sounds a no brainer to me.

• One of the best things Ive seen at Charlton in recent years was when he became Captain yesterday... Could become POTY again if he keeps up his form
  • Agree totally , Sam.

Nurse him along & don't be greedy.

I'm buying my nurse's outfit tomorrow BTW.
  • edited September 2014

Nah think it's exactly the same Sam mate

If that is the case, better to get 34 games rather than risk him midweek and we lose him for 2 months or so ?

sorry i meant recovery time from twisting it and an inundation of fluid into the gap where the cartligage (insulation layer) should be. that takes 6-8 weeks to heal if it is the least serious....however u are likely to tear the meniscus as well as there is no protection.

what i am fairly sure of is...he is just as likely to have a mishap in training as in a match. its a hard thing to "carry" and protect.

i think the reference to midweeks is that before his knee would be swollen after every game and you then need a week`s rest before you can play competively on it again.

i definitely agree i would rather have CS for 30 games then risk it...but its also impossible to predict when that risk arises so I can see BP`s thinking.

i would rather have solly for 5 games then none at all because he has my 100% ADMRIATION for battling through this injury when most pros would have called it a day. he gets away with it a bit during games because he is so fecking good a player

edit...btw great thread. i have only heard this through someone who spoke to someone etc etc so i could be wrong but think it is the cartilidge. we really should take our hats out to Sir Christopher of Solly because it really is a superhuman effort that he can play at this level at all. CS02 is the best RB this nation has produced in a long time, i know Kyle Walker would love his technique or positioning ability for instance...although sure wouldnt also mind that speed lol.

he had to overcome this country`s stupid reliance on physical statistics to even make it. as we begin to realise, size isnt anything of importance when you play football as it should be played...with the concentration on technique and brain. Without the knee problems, he would have been PL, CL and England for the last 5 years
  • Agree totally , Sam.

Nurse Fanny,.... oh matron,

sounds like a carry on film.

• I think he has chronic problems with his cartilage... I.e. He doesn't have any left in his right knee. Any small twist to that knee will leave him in agony and his knee swollen.Totally inoperable... Nothing u can do but manage it. You can build up the quads to strengthen it but that's precautionary rather than preventative.

This assesment is bang on the money as I understand it from speaking to those around me at Sparrows Lane. He'll never pass a medical at another professional club so he's ours for as long as he can stand playing on it.

• I think he has chronic problems with his cartilage... I.e. He doesn't have any left in his right knee. Any small twist to that knee will leave him in agony and his knee swollen.Totally inoperable... Nothing u can do but manage it. You can build up the quads to strengthen it but that's precautionary rather than preventative.

This assesment is bang on the money as I understand it from speaking to those around me at Sparrows Lane. He'll never pass a medical at another professional club so he's ours for as long as he can stand playing on it.

That's the irony, that he will be here for the rest of his career, i know that no pro should look to far ahead but he is so good that with good medical back up, the seven days between matches might extend his career to 30 where he would emulate Richard Rufus aps of around the 300 mark. The hall of fame would then beckon.

How great would it be if he was club captain for at least 4 of those years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree totally , Sam.

Nurse Fanny,.... oh matron,

sounds like a carry on film.

On second thoughts, me in a nurse's outfit could set his recovery back years !

That's the irony, that he will be here for the rest of his career, i know that no pro should look to far ahead but he is so good that with good medical back up, the seven days between matches might extend his career to 30 where he would emulate Richard Rufus aps of around the 300 mark. The hall of fame would then beckon.

How great would it be if he was club captain for at least 4 of those years.
    If things are true about the state of his knee, then I think it is a fair bet he will be staying with us until he calls it a day.

If it means only 30 games a season from him so be it.

A shame really as a good career possibly awaits.
  • I feel gutted for him. If it is as bad as it sounds then you can completely understand no other club risking him.

Without meaning to derail the topic, but I felt a bit of pride knowing Poyet was playing against Man U over the weekend - an academy lad now playing in the starting line up of a league fixture at Old Trafford.

If that was Solly though? Knowing that he had been a loyal player who gave his absolute all in every minute of every match, who was part of an incredible League 1 winning season - before making the step up to a higher league without as much as a single nervous performance.. I'd be absolutely thrilled for him. I think he'd be capable of playing in the Prem too.

I can honestly say I had a huge grin when he took the armband on Saturday; he deserved it and there wasn't a single other player on the pitch that I wanted it to go to.

• How great would it be if he was club captain for at least 4 of those years.

Although I totally agree with this, There's not many managers head coaches that would pick someone as captain if they could potentially miss half the games..........

And then perhaps he won't be able to walk when he's 40. It needs managing from week to week mate.