Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Boro - Post Match Views - 27/9/2014

123457»

Comments

• edited September 2014
    The stream of consciousness, in a winger: Danny Green with Albert Camus in his pocket. Was Danny existential when he curved those corners straight out of play? Had he read 'L'Etranger'?

'The Goalkeeper's Fear Of The Penalty' - Wim Wenders, 1974 is this on

Decent 0-0 between two mid table sides desperately missing a bit of extra quality to take to the next level

Back 4 impressed again although some of the unnecessary sideways passing gets on my nerves and invites pressure

Middle of the park a let down today but Jacko can't be the talisman every game, give him a break

Haven't seen the North upper so empty for a Saturday league game for a long time thank gawd Boro always bring 2k and the team deserve better support (numbers) than they are getting

Another point chalked off

The crowd seemed surprisingly sparse and according to the official attendance the home support was down a few hundred on the last two matches. I suspect it was worse than that in actual turnout - not entirely sure why. Turnout is usually better on a Saturday, but perhaps Boro are not seen as attractive.

Defence is excellent and no one can sensibly complain about the results, but it's going to be a very frustrating season unless we get a second striker. I'm sure Peeters knows this as well as anyone.

While we've played some strong opposition at The Valley, we've also failed to beat Brentford (admittedly first game with a new team) Huddersfield and Rotherham, none of whom are going to be contenders. So I am not sure it is going to get any easier.

It's the performances rather than the results that are frustrating, Airman, and as a fellow supporter of 50 years' standing, I feel sure you agree. There is much talk on this site of our having done well this season against "potential play-off sides" - as if we are lacking, congenitally disabled, and somehow unworthy.

The word 'confidence' is a cliché in football, as though it excuses a lack of technical ability. We proved at home against Wigan and Derby last month that we have the players and method to be aggressive from the start - not just with a last-ditch surge after being stuck in first gear for the first 75 minutes, as against Boro last Saturday - but to actually win.

When we play with only one striker at home - and Bulot is not a partner for Vetokele - we invite pressure on a midfield that we all know is fundamentally weak. Chris Powell failed with that defensive strategy the season before last. One of Simon Church's many qualities is that he advances when our opponents have the ball: he harries the last line of defence and puts them on the back foot.

Far from the play-offs being a wistful ambition or a vague hope, 15,000 supporters at The Valley demand nothing less.