Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Boro - Post Match Views - 27/9/2014

Comments

• Dunno about highlight but definitely made my top 40.
  • Decent 0-0 between two mid table sides desperately missing a bit of extra quality to take to the next level

Back 4 impressed again although some of the unnecessary sideways passing gets on my nerves and invites pressure

Middle of the park a let down today but Jacko can't be the talisman every game, give him a break

Haven't seen the North upper so empty for a Saturday league game for a long time thank gawd Boro always bring 2k and the team deserve better support (numbers) than they are getting

Another point chalked off
  • Bumped Into Katrien Meire, (not in a DLT way) before the game today,
    had quick chat and a pic.
    Now being Praised by Fanny Fanackapan.

The two most powerful females at CAFC.

Only need Kelly Brook to pop round for a nightcap........

• Bumped Into Katrien Meire, (not in a DLT way) before the game today,

I'll send her round when we're done.
  • RedMist said:

Is it possible to be unbeaten and get relegated???

Yep. 46 0-0 draws would get you 46 points and probable relegation. Good job we have those 3 wins in the bank
    Does everything you eat taste of dog turd? I've never known someone spout so much shit.
  • edited September 2014

Bumped Into Katrien Meire, (not in a DLT way) before the game today,

I'll send her round when we're done.
    In the next 2 minutes then ?

:-)

This is what i call good banter, not the ............ sorry must go, someones tapping on the front door.

• edited September 2014
    FLS highlights were very one sided, each side of half time. Was it really such a "two halved" game?
  • Good point for both sides. They were good in the first half and came close three times while we offered nothing. They tired in the second half (not surprisingly) and we came forward strong in the final 30 mins. Special mention to Solly with another splendid second half and Cousins who moved to the right for first 20 minutes of second half and linked brilliantly with Solly and started getting to the line. One head on knowing he was about to get clobbered was terrific. He then slotted into his best position and allowed Yoni to push on and we looked more potent going forward. Great stuff. Sadly our skipper is not holding his own and even ran the ball over the byline to give them a corner when a whacked clearance would have been easier. Advice to opposition forwards... Don't run into our centre half... Try brick walls, they are kinder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get off Jacksons back Cousins wouldn't get anywhere near his work rate
  • Just a couple of thoughts from me to add to those of others which I have yet to read.

Is it me or is Yoni disappointing you too ? I LOVED him for the first 2 or 3 games but he doesn't seem to have adapted to the pace of this league and dwells on the ball far too long. I'm sure I remember him being more assertive and setting up some decent forward moves but he's getting caught in possession too much lately. Maybe I'm expecting too much or looking for probs...

I liked young Fred today. Thought he added something we've lacked thus far & looked really up for it. And Franck too put in a decent shift when he came on & impressed me more than he has in past games.

Yoni Buyens does seem to be finding it a little more difficult. I think what's happened is that our opponents have decided to press Ben Haim, Bikey-Amougou and Buyens to prevent them playing their triangles. Wolves did this very successfully as did Middlesbrough today until they tired. We've looked less fluent as a result.

Of course, this ought to leave space a little further forward, but Jackson doesn't really have the quality to exploit it and when the ball goes long Vetokele isn't able to hold it up and bring others into the game because he's badly outnumbered.

I'm sure Bob Peeters is aware of what's going on and will make appropriate adjustments. It was interesting that he started with a 4-4-1-1 today with Bulot playing between the lines. As you say, Bulot showed some nice touches while Moussa looked very good when he came on.

Once they've adjusted to the Championship they could both be very effective, giving Bob Peeters more options. When the season began we had no right to believe we'd challenge for a Play-Off place and, realistically, we're still a distance from that level, but we've made an excellent start and today was another very encouraging performance.
    Totally agree with this, teams are pressing Buyens, Ben Haim and Bikey knowing they are at the heart of our passing game and putting two defenders on Vetokele and seemingly happy to allow the other players time on the ball knowing they won't be as effective.

I think a midfield of Bulot, Cousins, Buyens and Gudmundsson and another striker alongside Vetokele will make teams think twice about deploying these tactics knowing they won't be able to give better technical players time and space on the ball.

• t we played superbly at the start of the season against Wigan and Derby. We were aggressive, fluent, instinctive, tough, quick - mentally and physically - we had them by the throat and by the balls. The organisation and method of the cheerleaders at half-time today was a lesson.

In case you hadn't noticed mate, we've been rumbled (Mundell and Martinho articulate it far better then I can).
    Oh, and btw, Martin Robinson. Really? I was there too

• Thought the first half followed the pattern of recent matches where the oppo pressed TBH, Bikey and Buyens into rushed and backwards passing.
    Can't help thinking this was a game where we would have capitulated last season.
    Think this group is made of sterner stuff
    So we stuck to the game plan and second half we upped the tempo and went forward with a bit more purpose.
    Didn't create much,neither did they, but I thought we looked the more likely winners.
    Ground had become a bit of a library until the Bikey incident livened up both sets of fans.
    For a 0-0 I quite enjoyed it, but maybe it was relief that we hadn't been sussed and outclassed
  • Happy with a point , great boro numbers and the undefeated run continues , will be more than impressed if we survive at Norwich.

0% top two ......... 5% 3rd-6th .........55% 7th-12th ......40% 13th-21st...... 0% Relegation
  • edited September 2014

Decent 0-0 between two mid table sides desperately missing a bit of extra quality to take to the next level

Back 4 impressed again although some of the unnecessary sideways passing gets on my nerves and invites pressure

Middle of the park a let down today but Jacko can't be the talisman every game, give him a break

Haven't seen the North upper so empty for a Saturday league game for a long time thank gawd Boro always bring 2k and the team deserve better support (numbers) than they are getting

Another point chalked off

The crowd seemed surprisingly sparse and according to the official attendance the home support was down a few hundred on the last two matches. I suspect it was worse than that in actual turnout - not entirely sure why. Turnout is usually better on a Saturday, but perhaps Boro are not seen as attractive.

Defence is excellent and no one can sensibly complain about the results, but it's going to be a very frustrating season unless we get a second striker. I'm sure Peeters knows this as well as anyone.

While we've played some strong opposition at The Valley, we've also failed to beat Brentford (admittedly first game with a new team) Huddersfield and Rotherham, none of whom are going to be contenders. So I am not sure it is going to get any easier.

• Good point against another potential play off side. First half was dull as dishwater and we only started to look an attacking threat when Boro lost the excellent Nigerian centre half on loan from Chelsea and Adomah to the red card.

Unlucky not to win at the end but it's another point away from the bottom 3.
  • Have not read all the posts as yet, but my thoughts, for what they're worth. Dreadful first half, really dull. I suppose it makes a change from good first half, then terrible second though. Feared the worst when JBG could not play the second, as he was the one touch of class in the team. However, thought Moussa had the best game I've seen him play, Tucudean looked lively when he came on, and Wilson almost snatched it for us at the death, only keepers legs preventing him from being our hero. Having said that, we did not deserve to win it. We may be better than last season, but are not playing anything like we did against Wigan and Derby. We attacked them for most of the game and looked great, now we look hesitant and unconvincing. I know most are giving Jackson a hard time, but Buyens was every bit as bad, if not worse than him yesterday. Midfield lacks flair, though improved when Cousins joined it, how long is he going to be played out of position? Most mocked AA for lack of fitness in not completing games last season, but am seeing that most seem to tire long before the end of games now. He did add some flair to midfield to be fair to him. We need another goalscorer urgently as Igor gets marked out of games now, and a creative midfielder in the mix as well. It may turn out to be a good point, but as someone near me pointed out yesterday, one win and a loss gives us more points than two draws, so we need to start winning again!
  • Maybe a few fans took the afternoon off to watch the Ryder Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• I actually took the afternoon because its rare i see a good game against boro. Its the same every year tbh
  • Will be interesting to see if he plays Solly on Tuesday.
  • We started sluggishley but got better as the game went on and in the end had the chances to win it. A bit disappointing that we can't turn some of these these draws into wins but still unbeaten in the league is good progress, although it will be very tough to keep that going at Norwich midweek. We have now played 5 teams at home who are all possible Play-Off contenders and haven't been beaten yet, but we need to starting winning games and then things will look really good..
  • Call it as you see it.

First half was awful, how Boro didn't go in a couple up is beyond me. Buyens, was woeful, we couldn't pass we couldn't trap a ball, we couldn't keep hold of it, the goal kicks straight into touch. At half time we were definatly going to lose.

The second half read all the above for Boro, except Buyens. Hard to believe the transformation, shame we don,t put in 90 minutes like that. However, drawing games keeps you up, so any hopes of staying near the playoffs needs us to start winning.!

And it's unlikely to be Tuesday night !

• edited September 2014
    Granpa said:

It's a shame that some people cannot look back to the crap we watched last season, recognise the huge improvement this time, and can only project negativity.
    Great support from all sides, quite like old times. I suppose that there will always be those who will never be happy.

It's a shame some people can't see beyond the end of their noses or comprehend that others might genuinely disagree.

I think we have the makings of a good team but there is clearly a major problem with the squad which will either be addressed or will severely undermine it. It won't, in my opinion, be resolved by shuffling the existing players, but I could be wrong. As could you.

For the most part I found yesterday's game extremely dull. We finished on the front foot partly because of changes forced on Boro and partly because of our own changes, and may have snatched it. Of course it's better than last season and as I've pointed out in detail in the new Voice home support has been up, but yesterday it fell back for no obvious reason. Is it obligatory that we pretend otherwise and if so why?
  • A goal at the end and we would have been 6th last night so way too early to predict our final points tally. Norwich is a "bonus" game where we can't expect too much except for the team to have another 90 minutes to build their understanding. With the 11 games in the season to date, the back five today was far superior to what we witnessed vs Brentford away that I am 100% convinced that this season and next are going to be very enjoyable compared to the last seven.
    Peeters is showing loyalty to the front six and not chopping and changing but the substitutions may have revealed our best set up with the current personnel.
    Anyone getting frustrated with no wins and no losses? We've played three teams away from home who were league one or struggling - to be top six we need to secure four or six points from the bottom half teams so all good IF we can beat them on the return. October and November will tell us a lot about this season in terms of results and fans numbers.
    The club have said they will bring players through in January if we are in a good position but if we can't win our home games what happens next? I don't think we find that out because we are good enough to beat Birmingham next week.
    I really don't like any of our current options for second striker - Moussa, Bulot, Harriott so Tucudean is the best option unless we play 4-2-3-1?
  • I still think that now is the time to try and get a couple of loan signings in to help us push on. It is obvious that Vetokele needs some help up top. A player like Danny Graham would help the whole team with his ability to hold the ball. We also need a box to box central midfielder who can chip in with the odd goal. I just feel that January will be too late.
  • Get off Jacksons back Cousins wouldn't get anywhere near his work rate

a bit unfair on JC, I thought Cousins work rate was outstanding today, he never gave up for the whole 90 minutes
  • I'm looking forward to Tuesday .. that will be a REAL test of our progress/capabilities/potential