Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church 100%

I was reading on another thread that some had the courage to say they were sick of the knee-jerk pisstaking we do of some of our players when they don't achieve what we hoped, but who still give everything they've got. I'd like to start by saying that he may make a few errors, but he has been with us for some time now and has never turned his back on the team, has never failed to try his hardest and has had some bad luck. Let's hear some stuff about why Church is a good thing. Please don't turn this thread into a tirade of abuse for someone that has become a scapegoat for some. I've said what I like about him. Any takers? If people get abusive I will be asking the mods to close the thread.

Comments

• Options
    Impeccable timing!
  • Options
    Maybe I should start a campaign to get a banner to demonstrate our support. That worked so well for Chris Powell.
  • Options
    I might start a thread called 'will we ever win another game again?' to see if it has the same effect.
  • Options
    ...But he was still in the side at that point ;O)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    OK. I give up. I tried to be nice but no-one wanted to play. (Guy on his own in the corner of the playground in the snorkel parka).
  • Options
    ...with mittens on a string.
    You tried, and that's what's important, just like poor Simon did. Sorry couldn't not say it..
  • Options
    The chest and finish at blackburn away last season was pretty tasty...
  • Options
    OK. Hows this. Last season the service he and Kermo got was absolutely f****ing dire. Our big star striker struggled to score a damn thing, and when he was sold half way through the season doubled his total within around five games - so in my opinion SC carried the can for a shit midfield.
  • Options

OK. Hows this. Last season the service he and Kermo got was absolutely f****ing dire. Our big star striker struggled to score a damn thing, and when he was sold half way through the season doubled his total within around five games - so in my opinion SC carried the can for a shit midfield.

Agreed, so is he just unlucky to not get a game this season?
  • Options
    he'll come good, mark my words
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedMist said:

He HAS had a few games this season. I'm not suggesting he should start every game - or even any of them, but I do think that getting a virtual kicking on the primary Charlton forum as a matter of course is unfair and counterproductive. And I'm feeling nice today.
  • Options

he'll come good, mark my words

Thank you CA. A fine show of faith.
  • Options

RedMist said:

He HAS had a few games this season. I'm not suggesting he should start every game - or even any of them, but I do think that getting a virtual kicking on the primary Charlton forum as a matter of course is unfair and counterproductive. And I'm feeling nice today.
    Aye, that's what I was alluding to, that he still hasn't done any more than last season, but this isn't the place to argue this and gladly step aside for your cause here.
  • Options
    What I've seen of him this season he's done some good quality supportive stuff, kept oppo defences busy and has put in a couple of assists. I don't suppose he'll score too many goals himself, but in the last 20-30 minutes of a match I think he brings something to the team.
  • Options
    Frustration??
  • Options

What I've seen of him this season he's done some good quality supportive stuff, kept oppo defences busy and has put in a couple of assists. I don't suppose he'll score too many goals himself, but in the last 20-30 minutes of a match I think he brings something to the team.

I guess people just don't see this as enough for someone in the 'striker' position, as invaluable as all those things actually are?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Maybe he'd do better as a number 10?
  • Options
    WMT

Its a p!sstake in itself starting this thread. Its like suggesting Church is someone we all need to feel sorry for, like the loser bullied kid at school and that he is internally suffering.

The truth is, he is not that bad of a footballer at this level... he was just not clinical enough when we needed to be and Im sure he knows that and is working on his game. We didnt get relegated in the end.

Some of the things you suggested on the post make it seem like you know everything that goes on in training.

He is not getting 1st team action at the moment theres nothing to get behind him on because we dont currently see him.

He probably doesnt look at this site to be honest, for anyone worrying. He is a professional footballer and when things are not going right in his personal game, he SHOULD only hear and report to the voice of the manager.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Dave2l said:

WMT

Its a p!sstake in itself starting this thread. Its like suggesting Church is someone we all need to feel sorry for, like the loser bullied kid at school and that he is internally suffering.

The truth is, he is not that bad of a footballer at this level... he was just not clinical enough when we needed to be and Im sure he knows that and is working on his game. We didnt get relegated in the end.

Some of the things you suggested on the post make it seem like you know everything that goes on in training.

He is not getting 1st team action at the moment theres nothing to get behind him on because we dont currently see him.

He probably doesnt look at this site to be honest, for anyone worrying. He is a professional footballer and when things are not going right in his personal game, he SHOULD only hear and report to the voice of the manager.

I do feel he comes in for some unneccesary and petty abuse.

What have I said that makes it "seems like I know everything that goes on in training"?

I take your point that I might have implied we should feel sorry for him - not my intention.

...and it isn't a pisstake, don't overreact.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

WMT

I do feel he comes in for some unneccesary and petty abuse.

What have I said that makes it "seems like I know everything that goes on in training"?

I take your point that I might have implied we should feel sorry for him - not my intention.

...and it isn't a pisstake, don't overreact.
    You talk about him in very good light like he has never turned his back on us and is this no nonsense workhorse. Just sounds a bit like you know him personally. He might have been bugging for a transfer since the season eneded.

Your post was not a "p!ss take", it just seems strange the amount of supportive church threads are either over the top in support and also the ones constantly having a pop are a bit sad. He gets too many threads basically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just based my observations on what I had seen of him on the pitch - not as many as most on here probably.

All fair points though Dave.
  • Options

Maybe he'd do better as a number 10?

Is he even standing?
  • Options
    Well this thread has gone tits up.
  • Options
    churchinho <3
  • Options
    I don't know why he gets so much stick. He scored a hatrick in the playoff final of '98 and people still hate him.
  • Options
    He will come good..... listen to me now
  • Options
    When I played footie with my mates, I was fittest by far and did a similar job of harrying, making unselfish runs and generally getting in peoples faces. Didn't stop me getting picked near last choosing sides though. I was crap.

TBF I did have a harder shot than Church.
  • Options
    Bob Peeters has not picked him for the 18 in the last two games.
    A lad who was 17 this month got in ahead of him today.
    This has become a spurious debate.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No debate. A call for reason. Wrong forum. Mods please sink.