Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Marvellous" on BBC2 last night

edited September 2014 in Other Football and Sports
How wonderful.

A real credit to all those involved.

Comments

• Can't believe I missed it.
    An iplayer must
  • Lovelly stuff. Thanks for tip off.

Any idea which ground they filmed outside off? Was thinking maybe Bramall Lane?
  • Lovelly stuff. Thanks for tip off.

Call me mad, but I think it might have been The Britannia.

• edited September 2014
    Addickted said:

Lovelly stuff. Thanks for tip off.

You're mad. The ground had some old-style buildings in the background. There's nothing like that around the Britannia which was built in the middle of a totally empty brown field site.

The era was supposed to be from Macari's first stint as Stoke manager in 91/93 at Stoke's old ground, The Victoria, so I guess they looked for something similar.
    Edited to add: it was filmed at Crewe Alexander.
  • AFKA hasn't aged well, has he?
  • cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

The era was supposed to be from Macari's first stint as Stoke manager in 91/93 at Stoke's old ground, The Victoria, so I guess they looked for something similar.
    I can promise you, the current Gresty Road is in no way similar to The Victoria Ground. Another fine old ground that's disappeared from the map.

I was jesting cafcfan.

• Think some of it was filmed at Wrexham (the pitch side stand that rises in height towards the middle is not that common).

Decent programme.
  • Tear in the eye job !
  • Sponsored links:

• What a brilliant film, very heart warming. For anyone who hasn't seen it I'd advise them to watch it as it has a great feel good factor.
  • What it is about exactly?
  • A real gem; the scenes with Neil Baldwin and Toby Jones together were very clever, especially the reference to the "imagined" goal in the Stoke testimonial game.
  • Excellent drama from the Beeb.
  • Addickted said:

cafcfan said:

Addickted said:

I can promise you, the current Gresty Road is in no way similar to The Victoria Ground. Another fine old ground that's disappeared from the map.

I was jesting cafcfan.

I know it isn't. But the exterior shots they used were from the car park outside the main stand at The Alexandra Stadium pointing towards the Victorian buildings across the road. Thus giving the impression of the original surroundings to the Victoria Ground. There's a still from the show in this article. stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-s-Victoria-Ground-recreated-Crewe-Nello/story-21070612-detail/story.html
    I can't say what they used for the scenes inside the ground though. although the article says they also used The Racecourse at Wrexham for other scenes.
  • Superb TV, just finished watching it.
  • Best programme this year.
  • A brilliant programme. Made me want to choose to be happy
  • Just watched this. Absolutely brilliant!!
  • Watched it on Iplayer last night, great stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• My wife was at Keele when he was there. he used to hang out and chat mainly in the bar, she said that everybody thought he was a mature student.
  • Amazing bit of TV if you have not seen it watch it well worth it
  • My wife was at Keele when he was there. he used to hang out and chat mainly in the bar, she said that everybody thought he was a mature student.

I went to Keele too and can't remember him at all.

Great TV, brilliantly acted if slighly over-sentimental at times. Lou Macari came across as a fantastic guy.

• Jints said:

My wife was at Keele when he was there. he used to hang out and chat mainly in the bar, she said that everybody thought he was a mature student.

I went to Keele too and can't remember him at all.

Great TV, brilliantly acted if slighly over-sentimental at times. Lou Macari came across as a fantastic guy.

Now that really *is* good acting!
  • Watched it and Cilla last night. Superb acting from Toby Jones and Sheridan Smith. They must both be up for gongs.
  • I might not of known about this film it is wasn't for this thread. Just watched it and loved it, so thanks guys
  • edited October 2014
    Toby Jones currently appearing with Mackenzie Crook in The Detectorists on BBC4.

Excellent show now on iplayer. Watch it.
  • This is the kind of TV the Beeb should be making - not "pretend soaps" like The Apprentice, The Voice and Dragons Den.

Well done for a great programme.
  • Went to Keele 89 to 93. Neil was regarded as a bit of a joke by some of the students, but by the time I left was held in high regard by anyone that really knew him.
  • Just caught up with it on I player. What an inspirational story, beautifully written and fantastically acted by the extraordinary Mr Jones.

There's only one Neil Baldwin!