Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Genoa for a couple of nights..

Is it worth it?

never been and know no one who has.

I'm looking to go next month for a couple of days. Was wondering if anyone has been and if so would they recommend it to someone who is looking for a cheapish break with a few drinks involved? no clubbing or anything just a few bars and a bit of culture.

tripadviser, trivago, hotels.com etc etc has not been helping. not even sure if flights are included for any of their deals and I thought asking you lot about genoa would help me find out if I'm wasting my time even trying to make sense of their ratings, deals, pictures and generally useless information about wifi for hotels in that city.

Comments

• Options
    Well known for its fruit cake....
  • Options
    Some up-coming home fixtures

28th September v Sampdoria
    20th October v Empoli
    29th October v Juventus
    23rd November v Palermo
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited September 2014
    I went on a cheap deal a few years ago, not an amazing city, but we caught a train to Santa Margarita on the Cinque Terre and walked to Porto Fino from there. An amazing part of the world. Made the whole trip worthwhile.
  • Options
    I spent a day there when I saw Sampdoria. The town's alright but there isn't a great deal to do. Turin is far nicer, has a lot more culture (the film museum is brilliant) and if your heart is set on Genoa you can still visit it by train.
  • Options
    CHG said:

I went on a cheap deal a few years ago, not an amazing city, but we caught a train to Santa Margarita on the Cinque Terre and walked to Porto Fino from there. An amazing part of the world. Made the whole trip worthwhile.

I'd recommend this for a day out. Some lovely little towns on the way down may be worth a look, but we got off at Santa Margherita Ligure (Where the Rooneys got married) and then bussed it to Portofino.
  • Options
    Went to Genoa in May and played at the Luigi Ferraris stadium with Sampdoria in a charity match, was amazing, but as for the city that was fantastic.

The port is where the hub of activity comes from and has brilliant places to eat and drink. The city itself is great to wander round and appreciate, take in as much food as you can. There are bars and museums etc dotted around.

If you can go, make sure you go to the Luigi Ferraris stadium for some football. We were with Sampdoria fans who were really decent and welcoming and couldn't believe we knew much about Italian football. Italian football anywhere is worth the time however.

The hotel we stayed in was called 'hotel nologo' and was cheap and is quite new. Had wifi and was right next to the main station and a 15 minute walk to the ground and 10 minute to the port.

From the airport i think we paid 25 euros to get to our hotel.

If you want to know anything else let me know, really cannot rate it enough. I have been to quite a few places in Italy and this was the same level as Parma for me.
  • Options
    thanks for the info guys. slightly mixed reviews for the city but I think I will persevere and take Fiiiiiish advise. I might give you a shout back once I get the other person I'm going with thoughts. cheers.
  • Options
    I usually only know them for one night.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Genoa is up there with Jamaica
  • Options
    If you can't get a good deal for the flights there are plenty of other decent places to visit for cheap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Consider visiting Portofino
  • Options
    I loved genoa. Especially when he was at Newcastle.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

Genoa is up there with Jamaica
    This
  • Options
    CHG said:

Agree with this. Spent a few days there once. It's basically a port with the odd nice square, but nothing special. I also had some kids trying to pick my pocket using the 'swarm and distract' method, but I suppose that could happen anywhere.