Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public Buses - love em, hate em use em?

Comments

• Options
    some really on-point observational comedy in this thread; keep it up, folks
  • Options
    Just been to North Greenwich and back this morning as the though of parking the car seemed a complete no chance. I have no idea that you could even park there on a casual basis for a couple of hours.? The bus was both clean, arrived within 2 minutes going there, and 3 minutes of departing and cost me nothing being an old git on a freedom pass. How that part of Greenwich has been transformed. Not sure that the multitude of apartments is a good use of social mix housing, but I guess that is the trade off with these type of developments. I thought the passengers were very polite, and thanked the driver when they departed. Mind you the school hour rush might be another experience, but certainly worth considering again.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    for what it is worth I use buses more or less every day and they are an extremely important part of my life

I use numerous routes in both SE and Central London and am on one right now, the 472 to North Greenwich

I have been on buses rowdy and deserted, filthy and clean

watching the funnymen of CL construct at best insensitive, at worst actually racist generalisations in the guise of humour is not something I'm prepared to do without speaking up
  • Options
    U CANT SAY ANYTHING NOW COZ OF PC LOONIES LIKE U M8
  • Options
    In the old days used to get the N96 from Trafalgar Square all the way through to Dartford after a night on the sauce.

Once fell asleep with an ahem 'Gentlemans Magazine' open on my lap.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

In the old days used to get the N96 from Trafalgar Square all the way through to Dartford after a night on the sauce.

Once fell asleep with an ahem 'Gentlemans Magazine' open on my lap.

lucky it was on your lap to hide your old boy that was hanging out at the time!! ;o)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

for what it is worth I use buses more or less every day and they are an extremely important part of my life

I use numerous routes in both SE and Central London and am on one right now, the 472 to North Greenwich

I have been on buses rowdy and deserted, filthy and clean

watching the funnymen of CL construct at best insensitive, at worst actually racist generalisations in the guise of humour is not something I'm prepared to do without speaking up

Its not a race thing, awareness of others, manners, and respect of others costs nothing.

Sadly a huge percentage of people have none of the above.

Too many people up their own arse thinking they are better than anyone else and more important
  • Options
    300 Routemaster ticket inspectors to be axed meaning the doors will have to be shut.

Apart from the sadness of job losses, what the point if you can't open the back doors for easy entry?

• Options

300 Routemaster ticket inspectors to be axed meaning the doors will have to be shut.

Apart from the sadness of job losses, what the point if you can't open the back doors for easy entry?

is this the new 'Labour' mayor saving money to spend on other 'projects' .. what rationale/reasons are given for this ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Buses are cool, especially compared to the past. Bus lanes, and the electronic messages at many bus stops have made bus journeys better.
    Mrs Plum isn't keen, but she is a bit of a closet snob when it comes to buses.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Buses are cool, especially compared to the past. Bus lanes, and the electronic messages at many bus stops have made bus journeys better.
    Mrs Plum isn't keen, but she is a bit of a closet snob when it comes to buses.

Apparently the Routemasters without the doors open are still pretty hot though.
  • Options
    the mayor, the son (yes we all know) of a bus driver (or was it conductor ?), takes revenge on all the horrible 'Blakeys' who used to nag daddy .. "I 'ate you Khan .. get that bus back on the road" ((:>)
  • Options
    Bain of my life used to be waiting for a bus and then it was full of school kids and I couldn't get on (178 - single decker), which then starts the chain reaction of missing the train, stress etc.

I think as a fare payer you should be able to displace a school kid to get on, whilst at the same time giving them a lecture about respecting their elders and how "in my day" I had to pay 40p to get the bus to school.

I actually quite like getting the bus, as long as the route isn't terrible.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Don't think I used a bus for twenty years, then I was given my Freedom Pass, so use them all time now :-)
  • Options

Typical Tory cuts, axing jobs for the ordinary workers, er shurely shome mishtake :-)

I imagine the money will go towards Sadiq's fares freeze
  • Options
    Since I got my freedom pass,12 years ago, I do enjoy using the buses and use them everyday
  • Options
    Haha this thread was like my grand unveiling
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would rather use a bus that a car for regular journeys. Helped my beer intake when I used to go to the Valley. The new Routemasters are a better alternative than the bendy buses they replaced, but the back stairs and the open platform was a pure gimmick from Borissimo. It was inevitable that they would remove the conductor from these buses as its additional cost. Its a pity that they are more polluting than the buses they replaced, but at least they are British.
  • Options
    I'm on the 472 right now, it's great. Why learn to drive? :smirk:
  • Options
    I'm in the buses are great camp. I got my 60+ free oyster card and since then I use all public transport more. Even though my main transport is my bike.
  • Options
    I'll always favour my car I'm afraid... Get a bus occasionally when I meet up round my mates and want a few drinks, if I drive then its a 30min straight drive from Orpington to Bexleyheath, if I get the B14 then you've got to add on about an extra hour!!
  • Options
    Buses are fine it's just the people on them that are the problem.
  • Options
    I get a 261 from Sundridge Park as part of my journey to work during the week.

It's not too bad if you have good noise insulating earphones to drown out the sounds of the kids who are either playing music on their phones (without headphones) or otherwise shouting at each other in conversation from a distance of 3 feet.

There is always a distinct smell of puff on the bus from Grove Park though......would never have been like that when @i_b_b_o_r_g was around ;)

• Options

It's not too bad if you have good noise insulating earphones to drown out the sounds of the kids who are either playing music on their phones (without headphones) or otherwise shouting at each other in conversation from a distance of 3 feet.

There is always a distinct smell of puff on the bus from Grove Park though......would never have been like that when @i_b_b_o_r_g was around ;)

No, it smelled of spent shotgun cartridges and KY.
  • Options

In that order?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm on the 472 right now, it's great. Why learn to drive? :smirk:

Still on the Special Brew after all these years?
    ;-)
  • Options

12 gauge shotgun, 7cm gauge 'ampton.