Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public Buses - love em, hate em use em?

Comments

• Options
    Having had to give up my car almost 5 years ago now, what with having to cope with a mortgage and child maintenance on a sole salary, the bus has become a big part of my life.

If you've got a smartphone, you can bookmark the TFL webpage for a particular bus stop so you can check if the bus is on time as the website is updated by the GPS trackers on the bus and its fairly accurate.

You just have to allow yourself a little more time to get somewhere.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Having had to give up my car almost 5 years ago now, what with having to cope with a mortgage and child maintenance on a sole salary, the bus has become a big part of my life.

If you've got a smartphone, you can bookmark the TFL webpage for a particular bus stop so you can check if the bus is on time as the website is updated by the GPS trackers on the bus and its fairly accurate.

You just have to allow yourself a little more time to get somewhere.

There's a great app on iPhone called Bus Times which does the same except it can use your GPRS to tell you the bus stops nearest you.

Means you can sit in your flat lounging around in your pants for the optimum amount of time before you have to dash to the bus stop.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've just become the "proud" owner of an Essex CC decrepit person's bus pass.
    I haven't been on a bus in many, many years* but recently got one back home from the station rather than get The Chauffeuse out to pick me up. I was impressed. It was some sort of Hybrid bus, it was quiet, comfortable and free. And there were no smelly fellow passengers.
    Unfortunately , my Essex pass only gets me on London Buses for free not on the tube or DLR like the 60+ Oyster and I had to wait until I was 62 to get it.

*Edit: If you exclude Brighton's park & ride scheme which is a horrible experience.
  • Options
    I use the 96 most days, early morning is fine, not so great later. I also use bus checker app, it's great, I will often let everyone pile on a bus, knowing there will be another one along in a minute.
  • Options

I use the 96 most days, early morning is fine, not so great later. I also use bus checker app, it's great, I will often let everyone pile on a bus, knowing there will be another one along in a minute.

Love the Bus Checker can be so useful so I know when I need to run for the bus... Sometimes catch the 96 to the bottom of Okehampton Crescent yet find the seats so much harder than the ones on a 422
  • Options
    72 and 265 I use a lot. Don't mind using buses in London but would not use them back at home.

Probably due to the stigma attached to them back at home.
  • Options
    I think they're cracking! Love the 422 route, very peaceful.

Sorry about the chicken boxes.
  • Options
    London busses are brilliant, use them all the time when we are back in town.
  • Options
    Bus spotting is the new train spotting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bus from Dalston to LondonBridge get it day time its a freak ride ----horrific---------89 geting that way. I usually get at least 3 times a week to be the translator----i dont mind never have-----but why o why do i always get the size 28 african lady using her mobile at 150 decibels siting next to me ?
  • Options
    Haha got flagged for the 177 guess, had to get it home from work when I lived in abbey wood, full of chicken boxes, people shouting instead of talking, opening their legs wide with their fat arsed so nobody could share a seat, and people fleghming in their mouth and spitting, pond life, hence my well educated guess
    You can flag that an all.
  • Options

bus from Dalston to LondonBridge get it day time its a freak ride ----horrific---------89 geting that way. I usually get at least 3 times a week to be the translator----i dont mind never have-----but why o why do i always get the size 28 african lady using her mobile at 150 decibels siting next to me ?

Karma?

;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Use them more than I like to. Cycle to work so thankfully avoid rush hours.

However, as a rule I refuse to pay cab fares if I can avoid it.

286 from Greenwich to Sidcup is a killer after a night on the beer! When we lives on the Royal Arsenal used to do Sidcup to Woolwich on the 51 after midweek beers quite a bit. Lost count of the amount of times I had to get off at Plumstead Common for a piss!!!!
  • Options
    when in London I use the Underground much more than buses
  • Options

when in London I use the Underground much more than buses

To be fair the view is better on the tube!

• Options
    Since there have been bus lanes, and the electronic info at bus stops, they have become more user friendly which has pushed passenger numbers up.
    You have to exchange driving and parking stress with other peoples behaviour stress, but local buses are pretty convenient.
  • Options
    As a non driver I spend a lot of time on the 161 down to Charlton and back for work.
    A great way to while away the time is from the top deck to see how many drivers are texting, on the phone, have no seatbelts on and smoking with babies in the car.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

As a non driver I spend a lot of time on the 161 down to Charlton and back for work.
    A great way to while away the time is from the top deck to see how many drivers are texting, on the phone, have no seatbelts on and smoking with babies in the car.

You forgot the low cut tops on the ladies. ;-q
  • Options

You forgot the low cut tops on the ladies. ;-q
    yes indeed and mini skirts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Bus from Dalston to LondonBridge get it day time its a freak ride ----horrific---------89 geting that way. I usually get at least 3 times a week to be the translator----i dont mind never have-----but why o why do i always get the size 28 african lady using her mobile at 150 decibels siting next to me ?

Karma?

;-)

No, sounds more like her sister Peace
  • Options
    Moved back to London 3 years ago now and sold my car when I did move so public transport is how I get around. Mainly tube as I live close to a station. I use the bus every now and then but the one things that really pisses me off about London buses, why is there a need for a bus stop every 100 yards? Not only is it annoying having the bus stop every 30 seconds it also gives people the opportunity to be lazy.
  • Options
    I get buses which tend to go through Camberwell and Elephant and castle and Peckham.

Absolute trolls infest them, kissing of teeth, kids doing what they want whilst the parent is shouting down their phone. As for getting on the thing, it is like the last life boat of the Titanic.

Still at least I get to eat my chicken and chips in peace...
  • Options
    At least you can now use your contactless payment card to travel on Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London, as well as on buses :-)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless?intcmp=8257
  • Options

That's what happens to me too. Its a size 14 one that I want :-)
  • Options
    ill make sure i drop all ur names to the lady--if she ever gets off her phone
  • Options
    edited September 2014

ill make sure i drop all ur names to the lady--if she ever gets off her phone

Off the phone? Not much chance of that. Lyca and Labara have got a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    Are Lyca and Labara her sisters that she talks to?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Are Lyca and Labara her sisters that she talks to?

sounds more like er parts of the female er anatomy ? ...can you type those sort of things on charlton life and get away with it ?

• Options
    I heard of people talking like a c*** but never to one.