Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2014 Ryder Cup

Who'll be watching?

I have to admit that this is the only time, other than the last day of the Masters, that I find myself glued to the TV watching golf...

Any new names to look out for on either side? Who's going to win?

Comments

• Sadly I can't see anything but a USA win. I've backed Fowler to be top points scorer.
  • I'm there Friday. No chance of anything but a European win. Haven't lost at home in a long time and our weakest player would have their best Ryder Cup record of the current team!

• Really looking forward to this.
  • Cannot wait for this, got Friday off work (working from home) and plan to spend Sunday afternoon in front of the TV, Europe to win but maybe not by too much, closer than some think I reckon

Love the whole thing, sporting drama at it's very best
  • I will be there on Saturday with two fellow Addicks. Bad planning, I know, but I booked over a year ago and told myself I would be there after the last one come what may....Eu-rope! Eu-rope!
  • Same, the only Golf event i can watch - it really is , as Merson says, 'unmissable' - a fantastic weekend that will have twists and turns galore - and then , hopefully, a Europe win.
    Think US wil be a stronger team WITHOUT Woods - he has never been a team player - too up-his-own for that, and has a poor RC record.
    I will be glued to the tv from 12.00 on Friday , and not leaving my house til Sunday night after having consumed many a beer and take away curry's. Not intending to leave the house at all during the whole weekend.
    Come on Europe.
  • I'm playing for my club on Friday but may catch some of the pm session. Will watch Saturday am and all day Sunday.

I think Europe will win comfortably tbh.
  • Gutted my work is so busy, we installed some stands at gleneagles and due to pure volume of work in the next two weeks I can't even make 1 day yet three of my boys are there for the duration from today

I will hopefully get to watch it but hey come on Europe
  • I'll be watching, the only bit I'll miss live is when I'm doing the match thread on Saturday afternoon. European win I reckon.
  • Cant wait for it to start and not sure who will win as i can find so many negatives about each team at the moment.Have backed Mickelson at 7/1 to be top USA player
  • Sponsored links:

• i was at ryder cup 2012 in Medinah and my heart still hurts a bit ... but super Captain Tom Watson wont let me down this year ... USA!
  • Europe, on all known recent form in the Ryder Cup and the Majors, should win comfortably.

But form can go out the window when it comes to this event especially as momentum is everything.

Have still backed 16-12 & 15.5-12.5 to Europe.
  • My favourite sporting event bar none, can't wait. Europe to win but think it will be closer than most think.
  • Europe, on all known recent form in the Ryder Cup and the Majors, should win comfortably.

But form can go out the window when it comes to this event especially as momentum is everything.

Have still backed 16-12 & 15.5-12.5 to Europe.

You say that, but if you add up all the World Rankings of all the players then Europe comes out with higher total . USA , on paper, have the better players. However, there is always a better camaraderie amongst the Europeans, with many believing that they are not only playing for Europe but for their own country too, what with the great partnerships of Ballesteros and Olazabal , Mcdowell and Mcillroy,Stenson and Karllson and also the great English partnerships with Westwood,Donald,Poulter,Rose etc.
    Gonna be a great weekend - cant wait for it all to start.
  • Will be very very close, the course does neither side any favours when we walked it, the potential pins changes on Sunday will favour Europe the ones they were saying will move for sat will favour usa boys but if the weather gets involved it's any ones by Sunday imo we will need a lead of 3 by last day otherwise the cup will be on the first flight out

The falling out of gmac and Rory I hope won't get in the way
  • I think Europe will win but only just. Will be watching most if not all of Friday and Sunday and what I can catch on Saturday. The last days singles is just about as good as it gets sportswise.
  • I believe Europe will win well but the cup will be decided by how well the six players below go.
    USA
    Hunter Mahan - can he get over his 2010 performance
    Jordan Speith - can he regain his early season form.
    Webb Simpson - can he show any form

EUR
    Victor Dubisson - naturally very shy man, can he handle the occasion
    Stephan Gallagher - Scottish expectation
    Ian Poulter - Can he play inspired
    Again
  • We've lost just one of the last seven!!! And that was when Faldo thought he could do it all himself. World rankings favour guys on the US Tour. Compare Ryder Cup records.

Europe all the way, by at least two points.

• Anyone remember Anthony Kim? Was supposed to be the next great player.

There is a fantastic article on Golf.com about him. Apparently he has an insurance policy that pays him 20m tax free if he never tees up again as a pro.

• red_murph said:

My favourite sporting event bar none, can't wait. Europe to win but think it will be closer than most think.

better than the KSC?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Love the Ryder Cup.

Think it will be too close to call and USA are the value at the prices.

I'll back to tie as well to trade on Betfair.

USA top scorers gone for Kuchar and Speith (who I think will be a star)

Europe top scorer - Poulter was my biggest bet of the year two years ago but think he's too short and woefully out-of-form this time round
    Garcia looks the bet and probably McIlroy too given he may play all five sessions

There is a fantastic article on Golf.com about him. Apparently he has an insurance policy that pays him 20m tax free if he never tees up again as a pro.

will read that article now ...only in the USA as they say !

I do remember him. Him and that prick Weekley are two of my most hated sportsmen ever
  • BOOOOOOOOOOO
  • supaclive said:

We've lost just one of the last seven!!! And that was when Faldo thought he could do it all himself. World rankings favour guys on the US Tour. Compare Ryder Cup records.

Europe all the way, by at least two points.

world rankings favour the US as all the best players chase the prize money which happens to be at stateside tournaments

but who will emerge as the last day heroes in the singles ..i think Ricky Fowler looks a good match player

• It's all about the team. No Woods actually helps the USA but they still have an abundance of egos that will probably get in the way at some point or other.
  • Think America will sneak this one.

We are setting ourselves up for a fall.
  • I see it as pretty much a pickem - so being a betting man the 7/4 on the USA to win outright looks the value.

I agree with what others have said in that this is one of my favourite sports events too. 2012 was a pretty momentous sporting year what with the Olympics, Wiggins in the Tour etc... but for me nothing beats the Miracle of Medinah as the year's top event.
  • Is it just me but I don't get the Ryder Cup I enjoy watching golf ,maybe it's because its Europe not GB
  • Is it just me but I don't get the Ryder Cup I enjoy watching golf ,maybe it's because its Europe not GB

Its just you.
    I'd see a doctor if i were you.