Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Do We Turn Draws into Wins?

Overall I'm very pleased with our start to the season, given the mess we were in last season, bigger picture and all that, 8 games in , and we're still unbeaten.

But, greedy beggar that I an ... Having had a taste of being in the top 6, I want more.

I feel there's a lot more to come from this team, and I feel that our midfield is operating 2 gears below what it could be operating at.

So, am I just being greedy and never content, or what do you think could be done to make things better going forwards?

We've got some tough tough games coming up Boro at home, who we typically struggle against and Norwich away are going to be no mugs, so has our bubble burst and we are slowly coming back down the table with a bump, ok maybe a bit harsh as we've not slid down the table yet, but yesterday felt like a defeat to me..

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Stop playing zonal marking and not bringing on Harriot would be a start.
  • Options
    Don't sit back and throw away leads.
  • Options
    More attacking football. Looked good on the occasions we pushed forward yesterday.

Keeper and back four not to be scared to lump the ball up when needed. Wolves and Rotherham worked it out straight away that we trying to play the ball out from the back and pushed their teams up the pitch to prevent this. Mix and match it.

Don't be scared to hit the channels and get behind the opposition back four. Igor's pace needs to be used more.

If possible play players in the position's they are comfortable with. Cousins and Moussa examples of this.

• Options
    The other side of the coin is we are turning defeats into draws! (even if we take the lead against the run of play)
    To pass better over 90 mins of the game not just 25 mins of matches, to stop being put under so much pressure.

The down side of zonal marking is Brighton's 2nd goal and solly trying to out jump alex revell who was 6 ins taller, rather than being marked by one of the centre backs.
  • Options

Stop playing zonal marking and bringing on Harriot would be a start.

If Harriott is the answer, then how do we win is not the question! 2 good games at the end of last season cannot cover all the poor games from last season and the zero impact this season. Got a chance yesterday, and was utterly dreadful.

The truth is that we're not playing for the full 90 at the moment. Seems to be one half or the other. Hoping that will come. Also not taking chances to kill the game is crucial. As shown in the win v derby.
  • Options
    It's holding onto leads that's the issue.

We've been ahead in seven of the eight leagues game we've played so far this season. To have converted under half of those into three points is pretty poor in my opinion and is the only blot on our so far OVERALL good start.

I'm not suggesting we should've won all seven of those games but where holding onto leads is concerned, we have a below par record and with a bit of grit and determination, we could expect 2-4 more points already this season.
  • Options
    Score more goals.

Simples

:-)
  • Options
    Sorry Craigcafc, have now edited my comment. I am not a fan and do not want him on the pitch or even at the club based on the latest evidence.
  • Options
    The more draws we get the more it seems we are rather dropping 2 points each game than gaining one each game. At the end of the season we might miss a couple of valuable points.

Unfortunately I could not watch a game but since we seem to take the lead and concede equalizers most of the time, it seems we are not that hard-boiled or shrewd enough when necessary. Seems to me when we are leading we ought to play more ruthlessly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't change our play style based on the score.

We always seem to go more defensive and invite pressure when we go 1-0 up. We got away with it against Watford but you could tell it was going to happen again and go the other way.

We need to build on leads more.

Draws keep you out of the relegation zone, but also keep you out of the playoffs.
  • Options
    turning up for the 2nd half would help
  • Options
    Zonal marking from set pieces is a no no for me. Can see it working a bit now but teams will work out what players mark what zones and will tailor their routines around it so the shorter players are marking the oppositions beasts.

Although I think generally turning draws into wins is next seasons job. For now I'll be happy where we are right now and maybe a crack at the playoffs at the end of the season. I'm hoping next season we will be a force.
  • Options

Zonal marking from set pieces is a no no for me. Can see it working a bit now but teams will work out what players mark what zones and will tailor their routines around it so the shorter players are marking the oppositions beasts.Although I think generally turning draws into wins is next seasons job. For now I'll be happy where we are right now and maybe a crack at the playoffs at the end of the season. I'm hoping next season we will be a force.

It looked at times that the panto villian had done his homework and as stated at 10.51am wanted CS to be in an aerial battle with their big lad.

Are we fans to blame for telling the oppo's he only 5ft 3in!
    when in fact he's a whopping 5ft 8in.

• Options
    Perhaps someone might look up the last time we went unbeaten for eight games at this level... 1998 or 2000? I certainly want to get back into the top six asap and that means beating Boro next week. Thing is it's a new squad (mainly) new manager and still settling down. I'm not convinced by Moussa, Harriott and others and really want to see Buyens, Bulot and Gudmundsson get some more time playing together - perhaps playing them with Cousins and Jackson will break down other sides play?
    Whatever the results in the next few weeks I really hope they continue to scout and sign decent players - starting January as this squad can really go somewhere with the right additions to add depth and quality.
  • Options

Sorry Craigcafc, have now edited my comment. I am not a fan and do not want him on the pitch or even at the club based on the latest evidence.

I did wonder why anyone would think Harriott needs to be brought on!!! Absolutely dreadful yesterday. Shame that we conceded by our own mistake as Rotherham were so poor in front of goal it was a struggle to see who was going to score for them.
  • Options
    Talking about CAFC in the play offs ( you know who you are)
    Is like my cracking joke about Dicky Attenborough,(next year maybe) Too soon.

We will all enjoy this season more if we can just rejoice in the fact that we are so much better than 12 months ago,
    and the fact we are giving leads away are hardly surprising if the other team are going to have half chances which reach double figures.

When you have been Charltonised, you still count the points between the bottom 3 and ourselves.

Your a good fan, Mendonca in asdas, But while reaching for the stars, don't forget to keep your feet on the ground!
    : -)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Talking about CAFC in the play offs ( you know who you are)
    Is like my cracking joke about Dicky Attenborough,(next year maybe) Too soon.

We will all enjoy this season more if we can just rejoice in the fact that we are so much better than 12 months ago,
    and the fact we are giving leads away are hardly surprising if the other team are going to have half chances which reach double figures.

When you have been Charltonised, you still count the points between the bottom 3 and ourselves.

Your a good fan, Mendonca in asdas, But while reaching for the stars, don't forget to keep your feet on the ground!
    : -)

Agree with most of this but if you don't reach for the stars you'll never get out of the basement. :-0 Nothing wrong with setting your sights higher provided they are sensible targets and managed accordingly.
  • Options

The other side of the coin is we are turning defeats into draws! (even if we take the lead against the run of play)
    To pass better over 90 mins of the game not just 25 mins of matches, to stop being put under so much pressure.

The down side of zonal marking is Brighton's 2nd goal and solly trying to out jump alex revell who was 6 ins taller, rather than being marked by one of the centre backs.

I agree 100% previous seasons our drawn games would of been losses. We're prob going to finish around the middle of the table which I'll be happy with. Give Bob time (3 seasons) to build a really good team with depth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big Bob could work on his half time team talk, the other team always seems to adjust up to match the game - we seem to just let them do that and slowly dither until we tire and concede. Freshen things up at HT, change the system once in a while and treat it as if we're drawing, going in at 1-0 up is almost becoming a hinderance for us, which is a strange thing to say
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Get Thuram back in.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Get Thuram back in.

You could have hit on something there mate, play him up front, he was far better with his feet than his hands :-0
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I agree that a solid mid-table finish would still be a good season but not sure why some of our fans seem to have issue with some others getting a bit carried away with thoughts of glory, especially considering some of the new signings, we are fans, we are meant to be emotional passionate dreamers, leave the ultra sensible thinking to the people who run the club on and off the pitch. :)
  • Options
    Get a Centre Forward who will hold the ball up and play Vetokele in behind. he will get more chances, score more goals and force opposition defences backwards, creating more space for other players to move into, creating more opportunities for other players.

Also, play a central midfielder who is going to run past the CF, into the space created by Vetokele. If Buyens is going to operate as the holding player & play-maker, then we don't need a second central midfielder operating exclusively in the centre circle, unless we switch to three central midfielders or the midfield diamond and add an extra body.

According to the SLP comments, BP ain't going into the loan market, so Tucudean will need to step up.

I doubt if BP will move away from the orthodox 4-4-2 while we remain unbeaten.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    How Do We Turn Draws into Wins?

By scoring more goals than the other team ;)
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Get a Centre Forward who will hold the ball up and play Vetokele in behind. he will get more chances, score more goals and force opposition defences backwards, creating more space for other players to move into, creating more opportunities for other players.

Also, play a central midfielder who is going to run past the CF, into the space created by Vetokele. If Buyens is going to operate as the holding player & play-maker, then we don't need a second central midfielder operating exclusively in the centre circle, unless we switch to three central midfielders or the midfield diamond and add an extra body.

According to the SLP comments, BP ain't going into the loan market, so Tucudean will need to step up.

I don't think he'll advertise that he's looking to replace someone but I've been impressed with BP & think he'll know exactly what's needed to improve this squad. Lets not forget that we were close to signing two at the end of the transfer window. Cards being played close to his chest methinks ;-)
  • Options
    Fitness may be the answer. The team faded at home on Tuesday and seemingly again yesterday. Buyens, JBG and Vetokele aren't used to Sat/Tue football (and at a high tempo) so no surprise if they are finding it tough. JBG isn't fit to last 90 mins in any case. I'm not convinced about the fitness of Bikey either. He looked a bit exposed late on v Wolves and it's not a wonder that we sit deep away from home because a simple ball through or over the top looks like it might have us in trouble.

All in all though, it's been an enjoyable start to the season and the real test will be how we react to a defeat.
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

I don't think he'll advertise that he's looking to replace someone but I've been impressed with BP & think he'll know exactly what's needed to improve this squad. Lets not forget that we were close to signing two at the end of the transfer window. Cards being played close to his chest methinks ;-)

Is the clue in your username? :-0
  • Options

Perhaps someone might look up the last time we went unbeaten for eight games at this level... 1998 or 2000?

Neither. It was the last 8 games of the 2012/2013 season...
    So we avoid defeat vs Boro and we beat that record...simples!