Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving Abroad (America or Dublin)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    What others have said, although Dublin sounds as if it is best job opp and The Valley is only a cheap flight away.

I would pick Boston, it is called New England for a reason and it has a real soul to it, which is lacking in many US cities. America does offer so much opportunity and latitude for a bright, ambitious and outgoing Brit, as long as you never forget where you come from and don't lose your accent. It does you well to also remember that they are all as mad as a box of frogs, but equally they are the most friendly and positive race of people you will ever meet.

Moving when I was 36 was the best thing I have ever done.

@Chunes is spot on though. My attitude was give it a go, and you can always come home. Great advice.

And Charlton? Yep, I miss going to see those buggers every week or fortnight so, so very much. That habit is hard to shake.
  • Options
    Austin has the reputation of being the nicest city in Texas, I've not been there. I moved to Houston back in the seventies and stayed only a month, couldn't stand the heat and humidity so I moved back to Maryland. I've travelled to Boston often, and know that I couldn't live there either, as it's incredibly cold, and the winter drags on for a long time. There's a lot going on there though, prefer it to NYC.
    You'll have to drive either place, I feel, Austin because Texas is so spread out, and Boston because being located centrally is very expensive so you'll probably want to live in the 'burbs. Boston does have decent public transport, though. I doubt you will regret coming to America, but I'm sure you'll regret not coming, given the opportunity.
    Not being able to go to Charlton is difficult at first, but the CL community helps out. (mostly) When I first came over I had to drive to Dulles Airport every Sunday to buy an English paper to get the football results.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Austin has the reputation of being the nicest city in Texas, I've not been there. I moved to Houston back in the seventies and stayed only a month, couldn't stand the heat and humidity so I moved back to Maryland. I've travelled to Boston often, and know that I couldn't live there either, as it's incredibly cold, and the winter drags on for a long time. There's a lot going on there though, prefer it to NYC.
    You'll have to drive either place, I feel, Austin because Texas is so spread out, and Boston because being located centrally is very expensive so you'll probably want to live in the 'burbs. Boston does have decent public transport, though. I doubt you will regret coming to America, but I'm sure you'll regret not coming, given the opportunity.
    Not being able to go to Charlton is difficult at first, but the CL community helps out. (mostly) When I first came over I had to drive to Dulles Airport every Sunday to buy an English paper to get the football results.

#internet
  • Options
    There was no internet in 1972
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't understand why UKIP hasn't been mentioned yet, two pages into an immigration thread??? Have I got the wrong forum?

#notoforeigners
    #ifuleaveuratraitor
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    LoOkOuT said:

I don't understand why UKIP hasn't been mentioned yet, two pages into an immigration thread??? Have I got the wrong forum?

#notoforeigners
    #ifuleaveuratraitor

Emigration.....it's late over there..
  • Options
    I would recommend Boston. Great vibrant city. Very young population due to the number of colleges there. I was up there last week visiting my daughter who is doing her MBA up there (we live in Connecticut). Great nightlife with lots of clubs and bars. I'm not a big baseball fan but Fenway Park is a great stadium to see a game. Little Italy in The North End has great restaurants and there is a bona fide Chinatown as well. You are only and hour and a half from Cape Cod and the islands as well which have great beaches. Winters can be cold which is the only drawback for me but then again your are only 2 hrs from decent skiing in VT or NH.
  • Options
    Mate, do your license. I done 4 hours every Saturday morning for 5 weeks and passed easily. Then you'll open up such more opportunities to do amazing things in America. I was 20 when I moved to Pittsburgh on my own. The best thing I ever done (although I did go uni there). The worst thing I ever done was coming back!
  • Options
    If your company are willing to organise and pay for a work visa, you should definitely go for one of the USA options. Impossible to work there (legally) without one, so it's a great opportunity which not many people get. Never been to Austin but Boston is amazing. Might be more Irish there than Dublin!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and even if you think you don't like baseball, you will after living in Boston. You may think you have seen passionate local support for a sports team but the Red Sox are a religion in that city. You will see commuters in business suits in the morning walking down the street and every other one seems to be wearing a Red Sox cap with their suit.
  • Options
    Working in the states will open so many opportunities for you and could lead to an even better job.

I would love to work over there and having worked in Middle East and Asia, it's the last place to tick off the work list.

If you have an interest in American sports then either Austin or Boston would be great. It's also a great way to make friends.

As for Charlton, I have been away in arguably one of our worse periods, so it has been a bit of a relief in some respects.
  • Options
    Austin is much more a city of arts and live music than sports. Not saying it's impossible to find good sport there but you won't find anything on the level of Red Sox or Patriots. The NFL teams in Texas for example, as I'm sure you know, are based in Dallas and Houston which end up being a couple of hours drive away.
  • Options
    New England Revolution in the MLS as well, though I think they are based in a town outside of Boston.

Wherever you end up, make sure you have a local team to follow. It won't fill the Charlton shaped gap or replace them, but can help. Great way to get to know people and the local culture as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just taking a look at two sentences you wrote:

My company are speaking with me about moving to either Dublin, Boston or Austin (Texas).
    unquote

and

I'm 27, no kids/mortgage to worry about.
    unquote

And this in a world of unemployment, poverty and unhappiness... If you now tell me, in addition to the above, that women usually can't help but going absolutely crazy about you I call you the luckiest kid on earth.

In your situation you should be able to make it everywhere. How long would your assignment be?

I guess Dublin would be good if you get homesick easily (as it is closest to The Valley), Austin if good weather is important for you (but since you dislike heat in summer, I would cancel Austin from the list) and Boston got a good life quality. Not having not been there in winter, winters in the northeast of the US are however freezing to say the least. One cannot compare winters in London with that.

But you say your work would be different in each of the 3 cities? In such case I suggest you go for the place where you (in all probability) will enjoy your job the most. The best place in the world cannot compensate unhappiness at your workplace.
  • Options
    I'm Irish and Dublin's great for a weekend but I'd recommend America. Dublin could be a big culture shock after coming from London. Personally prefer Derry and Galway to Dublin, but they're even smaller. Better pubs though!
  • Options
    Or you could do what lots of young Irish people do - spend the football season in Ireland and the summer in America.
  • Options
    Boston, Dublin will depress you.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, this is really helpful. My heart is telling me Boston, because I know the place relatively well already and the job that is there is more up my street (basically what I do now, but with an American territory to work with). Plus that would be MY preference rather than the company's.

The jobs available in Austin and Dublin are steps up from what I'm doing at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure they're things I want to do. It just happens to be that the Dublin role is coming available in January and my company have earmarked me for that position so that is where they would want me to go.

I think I'm going to ask the question about Boston when I next catch up with my boss (who is based in Texas). I'm also heading out there next month so will also do a bit more exploring related to accomodation, transport etc rather than the usual things I do whenever I go (drinking and watching Basketball).
  • Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned that Austin is a massive student town. Only been a couple of times but one of the great cities in the US in my view, fabulous town centre, live music everywhere. But in summer, seriously proper hot. You know Boston, brilliant too. Dublin, in my personal view, is a one joke city.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    cafctom said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, this is really helpful. My heart is telling me Boston, because I know the place relatively well already and the job that is there is more up my street (basically what I do now, but with an American territory to work with). Plus that would be MY preference rather than the company's.

The jobs available in Austin and Dublin are steps up from what I'm doing at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure they're things I want to do. It just happens to be that the Dublin role is coming available in January and my company have earmarked me for that position so that is where they would want me to go.

I think I'm going to ask the question about Boston when I next catch up with my boss (who is based in Texas). I'm also heading out there next month so will also do a bit more exploring related to accomodation, transport etc rather than the usual things I do whenever I go (drinking and watching Basketball).

How about going for the Dublin job as its a step up and available in January, that way you can see if you like being away from home. You can still see Charlton get promotion, you can gain some experience and when another becomes available across the pond, you will be in a better situation all round.
  • Options

cafctom said:

How about going for the Dublin job as its a step up and available in January, that way you can see if you like being away from home. You can still see Charlton get promotion, you can gain some experience and when another becomes available across the pond, you will be in a better situation all round.
    Thats pretty much the one thing that is keeping it in my thoughts, as I don't have a major interest in Dublin otherwise.
  • Options
    Hey @cafctom feel free to PM me with any questions/doubts you have about leaving London for the US, I made a similar move 3 years ago to a city I wasn't that familiar with (Atlanta) and remember having endless sleepless nights wondering what decision to make!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    DanDavis said:

Hey @cafctom feel free to PM me with any questions/doubts you have about leaving London for the US, I made a similar move 3 years ago to a city I wasn't that familiar with (Atlanta) and remember having endless sleepless nights wondering what decision to make!

I thought it was only seattle that gives people sleepless nights....

Gets coat.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Mate, do your license. I done 4 hours every Saturday morning for 5 weeks and passed easily. Then you'll open up such more opportunities to do amazing things in America. I was 20 when I moved to Pittsburgh on my own. The best thing I ever done (although I did go uni there). The worst thing I ever done was coming back!

No point bothering to get a UK licence, that won't help at all. In Texas, for example, (I expect Mass. is the same), you have to apply for a Texas license (sic) after you've been there for 90 days. It's probably easier to pass your test out there first time round frankly as you'd have to do it any way.

Edited to add Mass. is not the same, it seems you can drive on a UK licence for up to a year there. Weird.
  • Options
    Good luck in whatever you decide to do, I am truly jealous! I wish I'd lived abroad when I had the chance, and now I'm settled down with a family it's a lot harder to get the opportunity as timing is never right.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cafctom said:

Thanks for the contributions guys.

Lost Red said:

Would echo the comments about Austin, fantastic place and potentially really good quality of life.

However Boston as you know is a great city and that would be my choice. Good location to go and do some weekend travelling up and down the east coast at weekends as well. Dublin will give you all the aggro of moving only to be somewhere very similar to the UK.

Out of interest what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Always wanted to move to America myself one day.

I work for an American software company doing sales/business development. Another major factor to consider is that there are different roles in each of the three cities I am looking at, which doesn't make things any easier to decide.

Boston would be my preference at this stage I think, as I know it quite well. Its just that I think the business' preference is for me to fill the role in Dublin.

What should be an exciting decision is proving to be quite stressful. However, I know that if I don't do something then I may regret it later in life when the chance is gone.

(And how do you get over not watching Charlton live each week?!)
    Change your Charlton Life username to Texan Tom. , (go for the American option by the way Tom).

• Options
    Where did you end up Tom?
  • Options

cafctom said:

What was I thinking? Charlton getting promoted!
  • Options
    If we got the right opportunity for me and my partner... We'd be gone in a flash if it were up to me.

As it's up to her... We remain here quietly contemplating new ways to enjoy the UK and running out more year on year.