Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UK Border Police - there to protect you from..er..me, it seems.

Yesterday at Ebbsfleet before boarding the Eurostar, I of course had to show my passport. I didn't really expect the Spanish Inquisition, and maybe this wasn't it, but how many of you have had to answer so many tedious questions when you are a British citizen leaving the the UK?

- Where are you travelling to?

- Brussels

- and what will you be doing there?

- Actually I am travelling on to Prague

- I see, and what are you doing there?

- I live there now

- And what do you do there, are you retired or something?

- I wish. I have my own small business there

- And what kind of business?

- A consultancy

- and what kind of consultancy? (at this point I started to think he was taking the piss)

- Human resources

- and what were you doing in the UK, was that business ?

- visiting friends and family

- OK thank you sir, please pass on to my colleague from French border control (the French official - whose territory I was effectively entering - glanced at my passport and waved me through)

Now it really didn't threaten my journey and didn't last long, but honestly, what was the point of all that? What TF business is it of a UK border official what kind of work I do in Prague, especially when I am leaving rather than entering the UK?

It seems to me the Border Police really don't like Eurostar as I have witnessed a lot of aggressive questioning of obviously innocent EU citizens at Brussels, building up stressful queues in the process. Its as if they resent people choosing the train so as to avoid their endless queues at Luton or Heathrow. Now I read that they have an unpleasant surprise for those who think that by taking the new Eurostar direct from Marseilles they can avoid all that crap. They will make passengers get off at Lille, with all their luggage, go through their frigging control, and get on another Eurostar two hours later. Effectively sabotaging Eurostar's "direct" service.

WTF?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    They've probably received a top-down directive from the Home Office regarding questioning people leaving the country in case they're going out to join IS, unfortunately due to how badly top-down communications are delivered in the public sector, they probably interrogate every 50th person instead of applying a common sense approach. Also our terror level alert has been raised so I imagine some pen-pushing busybody has introduced 'enhanced checks' to make it look like to their boss that they're doing something.
  • Er, welcome to my world
  • edited September 2014
    They are just doing their job, a thankless task

If it was as easy to interview every "obviously guilty" looking person, I am sure they would do that.

I find if you behave politely and dont express obvious annoyance, then the questioning doesn't take too long at all and is certainly a lot less arduous than the States.

• I saw on the BBC news today that the Latvian builder that is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of that 14 year old girl is actually a convicted murderer. How did he get into this country? Do we have to accept foreign criminals under the freedom of movement in Europe? He was also arrested in 2009 for sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl, but not charged.
    These are the people the border police should be protecting us from!
  • Riscardo said:

Er, welcome to my world

What did you say, when they asked your age?
  • Chizz said:

Six questions. It's not the worst case of border control over-zealousness is it?

Well I think I said that in my initial comment.But what is the point of any of those six questions, when I am leaving the country, and not seeking to enter it? Suppose I had said I am consultant to military hardware companies? So what? I have a valid UK passport, and no criminal record, which presumably he can see on his screen. My business is not his.

@calydon_road
    I assure you, I didn't express any annoyance and answered his questions politely. Tell me, though, do the US border control hassle people when leaving the US?
  • Chizz said:

Six questions. It's not the worst case of border control over-zealousness is it?

Well I think I said that in my initial comment.But what is the point of any of those six questions, when I am leaving the country, and not seeking to enter it? Suppose I had said I am consultant to military hardware companies? So what? I have a valid UK passport, and no criminal record, which presumably he can see on his screen. My business is not his.

@calydon_road
    I assure you, I didn't express any annoyance and answered his questions politely. Tell me, though, do the US border control hassle people when leaving the US?
    That's fair enough. But border police are there to make sure baddies don't abscond, as well as keeping the riff-raff out.
  • edited September 2014

Yesterday at Ebbsfleet before boarding the Eurostar, I of course had to show my passport. I didn't really expect the Spanish Inquisition, and maybe this wasn't it, but how many of you have had to answer so many tedious questions when you are a British citizen leaving the the UK?

- Where are you travelling to?

- Brussels

- and what will you be doing there?

- Actually I am travelling on to Prague

- I see, and what are you doing there?

- I live there now

- And what do you do there, are you retired or something?

- I wish. I have my own small business there

- And what kind of business?

- A consultancy

- and what kind of consultancy? (at this point I started to think he was taking the piss)

- Human resources

- and what were you doing in the UK, was that business ?

- visiting friends and family

- OK thank you sir, please pass on to my colleague from French border control (the French official - whose territory I was effectively entering - glanced at my passport and waved me through)

Now it really didn't threaten my journey and didn't last long, but honestly, what was the point of all that? What TF business is it of a UK border official what kind of work I do in Prague, especially when I am leaving rather than entering the UK?

It seems to me the Border Police really don't like Eurostar as I have witnessed a lot of aggressive questioning of obviously innocent EU citizens at Brussels, building up stressful queues in the process. Its as if they resent people choosing the train so as to avoid their endless queues at Luton or Heathrow. Now I read that they have an unpleasant surprise for those who think that by taking the new Eurostar direct from Marseilles they can avoid all that crap. They will make passengers get off at Lille, with all their luggage, go through their frigging control, and get on another Eurostar two hours later. Effectively sabotaging Eurostar's "direct" service.

WTF?

The purpose of the seemingly pointless questions is to see if you seem hesitant. I've had to undergo a series of pointless questions when entering and leaving Australia. I recall being asked what I was doing on Tuesday afternoon. I replied that I was attending a meeting. I was then asked who with and what address - I couldn't remember. I had to boot up my computer to find details of my meeting as it booted up, he shut the lid down and asked for the name of the hotel I stayed in last time I visited Melbourne. And so it went on.

It's all to disorientate and confuse. Someone told me it was a known tactic.

As you say, Prague, why?
  • Sponsored links:

• You've obviously never been stopped by OB then.

Question leads to question leads to question. Best way to spot any inconsistency in someone's story.

Either that or he was after a job.
  • Chizz said:

@calydon_road

No - but then they just charge you $50

• Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    Yes you are right about that.

It's a tricky issue but I see a direct correlation between improving security but everyone having to accommodate a more intrusive and demanding journey when crossing borders.

In a perfect world you would know who everyone is all of the time and the crime goes away. But that's very 1984 in outlook.

I just see it as 2 sides of the same coin. A full proof disguise for a terrorist entering the UK is surely as a Charlton supporter, who would suspect?
  • Fiiish said:

They've probably received a top-down directive from the Home Office regarding questioning people leaving the country in case they're going out to join IS, unfortunately due to how badly top-down communications are delivered in the public sector, they probably interrogate every 50th person instead of applying a common sense approach. Also our terror level alert has been raised so I imagine some pen-pushing busybody has introduced 'enhanced checks' to make it look like to their boss that they're doing something.

Why don't you have a night off slating the public sector?
  • I heard on the wireless the other day that a number of the British people who end up involved in nefarious activities in Syria and Iraq fly to Turkey, and then get a local bus onwards. I suppose the boarder officials asking people leaving the country are trying to suss out if people are off abroad to do bad stuff. I don't reckon PA is one of them, but I suppose that is a reason why people are questioned when leaving.
  • Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    Friend of mine was stopped at the US/Canada border in Idaho & had his van searched from top to bottom a few weeks ago - which took forever as he was moving home from the US into Canada & the van was packed with furniture. This by the US agents as he was about to cross into Canada - was a bit odd as you wouldn't expect them to be that bothered about people leaving the country. I find the whole process of crossing into & out of the states pretty stressful even now with a Canadian passport.
  • Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    You would be surprised how often the authorities are requested to look out for certain individuals at ports and airports. It's possible that you fitted the description of someone suspected of travelling under a false passport and he was carrying out a preliminary interview. Don't worry you passed!
  • seth plum said:

I heard on the wireless the other day that a number of the British people who end up involved in nefarious activities in Syria and Iraq fly to Turkey, and then get a local bus onwards. I suppose the boarder officials asking people leaving the country are trying to suss out if people are off abroad to do bad stuff. I don't reckon PA is one of them, but I suppose that is a reason why people are questioned when leaving.

Exactly Seth. You know me, you know my appearance. If this bloke singled me out on a hunch, you have to wonder if he is fit to do the job.

The reason why I thought this was odd, though is that I have never, ever been questioned by UK Border police when leaving the UK.

• Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    Yes
    My wife and I were put into bomb proof boxes when leaving Miami.

• Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    You would be surprised how often the authorities are requested to look out for certain individuals at ports and airports. It's possible that you fitted the description of someone suspected of travelling under a false passport and he was carrying out a preliminary interview. Don't worry you passed!
    infamous case of a traveller in disguise from over here a few years back...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326885/Man-boards-plane-disguised-old-man-arrested-arrival-Canada.html
  • Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    I think he asked at least some questions of the bloke before me and the one after, although perhaps not so many. All three of us would have matched the description of "middle class, middle manager".

Honestly, because its all very sedate at Ebbsfleet, no one in a big stress to catch a flight, I think he was just doing it to liven up his boring job. Maybe I do him and them a disservice, but when i read about what they are doing to Eurostar passengers in France, I do wonder.

• smiffyboy said:

I saw on the BBC news today that the Latvian builder that is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of that 14 year old girl is actually a convicted murderer. How did he get into this country? Do we have to accept foreign criminals under the freedom of movement in Europe? He was also arrested in 2009 for sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl, but not charged.
    These are the people the border police should be protecting us from!

Filth man should never have been allowed in but there's too mAny do gooders in this place that bang on about human rights and wanna get shafted in the process by the EU, how dare our citizens travel to work safe in the knowledge that they ain't gonna get murdered by some foreigner that we accepted with open arms probably gave a house to and some benefits
    OK, ignoring the sheer guesswork that's gone into that sentence ("murdered by some foreigner...", "probably gave a house to..."), can I ask you what could have been done to prevent him entering the UK? We're in the EU, citizens have free rights to move from country to country. When you say he "should never have been allowed in", what law would you have chosen to enforce that?
  • Perhaps he is just friendly!

They are no different questions to what a cabbie would ask you (apart from ah much dya urn?)
  • Maybe you just have one of those faces Prague!! ;o)

• Chizz said:

@calydon_road
    Yes
    My wife and I were put into bomb proof boxes when leaving Miami.

That's kind of them. You must have felt very safe in there.
  • Riscardo said:

Er, welcome to my world

I can't see Prague setting the metal detector off in quite the same way though !