Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I've given up on the Swan

It's official. I've given up on it. Despite the odd one or two in the Bugle it had always been my place to go for a pint before the game. It got done up a few years back and that was nice, but since then it's steadily gone downhill.

It seems to have changed hands recently and the place is now dirty, empty and on Tuesday night it stunk of piss. The selection of ale is pathetic and despite never have been overawed with the place I've now come to the realisation that I need to move on.

I sit in the NW and park up by Shooters Hill Road...so my question to you lifers is where should JollyRobin go bob bob bobbin now for his pre-match glug?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    If you park up by shooters hill, then Hungry horse/The fox is alright, foods not bad either but doesn't have Sky tv.
  • Options

If you park up by shooters hill, then Hungry horse/The fox is alright foods not bad, but dosn't have Sky tv.

Park a bit further down than that, near the Coop and Sunset Chicken. Are there many Charlton fans in there?
  • Options
    You get a few, but not many, not been in there before a Saturday game though.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I was forced to go in there while the Bugle Horn was being done up and I saw the best girl fight ever, with a couple of lines of screamed dialogue that spoke volumes of two lives. In went like this, I swear absolutely verbatim, because me and my brother were repeating it for weeks:

'YOU SLAG GRASS. YOU PUT MY BROTHER AWAY!'

'SO, AT LEAST I'M NOT ON THE F*CKING GAME!

Classy birds. Classy.
    Swallow the lot then read you a bit of jean paul Sartre!
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I was forced to go in there while the Bugle Horn was being done up and I saw the best girl fight ever, with a couple of lines of screamed dialogue that spoke volumes of two lives. In went like this, I swear absolutely verbatim, because me and my brother were repeating it for weeks:

This is what I'll miss about the place.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I never forget a sunday afternoon when a local "character" called a girl swilling pints and smoking like its going out of fashion (sounds like me) fat... when he left she told a table of strangers that she wasnt fat she was just pregnant. Made me gawp anyway.

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

they were just filming an episode of Eastenders.
  • Options
    Anyone remember the old pot man fella in The Swan who reserved his place at the bar by putting his roll-up tin there? Woe betide anyone who left their almost full pint unattended for more than 30 seconds, because he would've whipped it away.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I remember him sweeping up one day. Everything went under the piano.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Anyone remember the old pot man fella in The Swan who reserved his place at the bar by putting his roll-up tin there? Woe betide anyone who left their almost full pint unattended for more than 30 seconds, because he would've whipped it away.

Sid, very unusual to see him sober. Great character though always had a story to tell.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

all I can do is apologise for my family. It had been rough couple of weeks as you can tell.
  • Options

It's official. I've given up on it. Despite the odd one or two in the Bugle it had always been my place to go for a pint before the game. It got done up a few years back and that was nice, but since then it's steadily gone downhill.

It seems to have changed hands recently and the place is now dirty, empty and on Tuesday night it stunk of piss. The selection of ale is pathetic and despite never have been overawed with the place I've now come to the realisation that I need to move on.

I sit in the NW and park up by Shooters Hill Road...so my question to you lifers is where should JollyRobin go bob bob bobbin now for his pre-match glug?

Try the Oak on Old Dover Road and then walk down to the ground
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Try the Oak on Old Dover Road and then walk down to the ground
    Haven't been in the British Oak for years. What's it like these days?
  • Options
    I've never been in The Swan and my mate's recollection of his first and last visit wasn't very encouraging.
    Two 'ladies' brawling in the beer garden, one trying to glass the other whilst the menfolk and kids looked on....
  • Options
    But the big question is would ya...
  • Options

I've never been in The Swan and my mate's recollection of his first and last visit wasn't very encouraging.
    Two 'ladies' brawling in the beer garden, one trying to glass the other whilst the menfolk and kids looked on....

That was my wife and sister............the other woman was rude to her...........
  • Options
    Sad about the Swan. Used to be a decent place to go before and after the game, walls covered in Charlton stuff and served a decent ale. Spent many an hour in there, but barely been the last 2 or 3 seasons. Last time I went there after a game, towards the end of last season, there was virtually no-one in there, no beer worthy of the name and some fat bird at the bar swearing her way through the early evening with a bunch of old guys. It just felt really sad.

British Oak is now a thriving pub again, used to be my local and regular when I was a lad, plenty of lock-ins playing spoof with the cheating b'stard landlord back then. The current landlord's worked very hard to get some life back into it. Great pint of beer, decent atmosphere and Saturday night is live music night, often packed out. Beer garden's been tarted up a little as well.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I was forced to go in there while the Bugle Horn was being done up and I saw the best girl fight ever, with a couple of lines of screamed dialogue that spoke volumes of two lives. It went like this, I swear absolutely verbatim, because me and my brother were repeating it for weeks:

'SO, AT LEAST I'M NOT ON THE F*CKING GAME!'

It's traditions and a culture like that, that should NEVER ever be eroded by the creeping European super state, I am so proud.