Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car insurance Renewals

I know we have had other insurance related threads but thought Id start this, if only to remind people....

Every year I review my car and home insurance and always do a new online quote. Tonight I "saved" over £200 just for the boredom of 1 hours spent looking at quotes.

Last year I paid £389. Renewal letter arrives, asking for £460. Exactly the same terms paid over 12 month instalments. Went to the same insurance company website (wartime prime minister) and got an online quote on exactly the same terms. So low that I also decided to reduce voluntary excess from £150 to zero to see how it came out. Total, based on no excess but otherwise identical to last year, came out at £243 over instalments. That is over £200 cheaper and for better cover...same company.

Rang them up. They have a policy to match online quotes so got it for £243. Sorted.

Always get online quotes each year to compare and bargain with. You can save loads :-)

Comments

• Options
    Agree DV. I do it every year. The financial gain is well worth the time spent. Another point is never accept their offers of automatic renewal against your card.
    It is also worth watching out for AA and RAC. They always jack up their renewal prices in the second year. Check online what the rate is for a new member and tell them that is all you are prepared to pay.
  • Options
    Could not agree more and with all insurance too. A look on the internet, and time spent wheedling can save you the cost of a season ticket if you're prepared to make the effort.
    Always ask for a M&S voucher as well to 'sweeten the deal', surprising how often you can get one.
  • Options

Agree DV. I do it every year. The financial gain is well worth the time spent. Another point is never accept their offers of automatic renewal against your card.
    It is also worth watching out for AA and RAC. They always jack up their renewal prices in the second year. Check online what the rate is for a new member and tell them that is all you are prepared to pay.

I'd give a swerve to the AA and RAC completely. if you can afford to pay the breakdown truck and get reimbursement later Autoaid is much cheaper. Or take a look at Germany's ADAC (their AA equivalent), particularly if you drive in Europe. You have to buy the plus version to get UK cover but it's still only €84 per annum for the whole of Europe whereas the AA seem to want to charge £71 for just a two week trip. What's more their staff speak English! adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/