Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The pre-season fear of getting relegated now looks distant

edited September 2014 in General Charlton
Not set in stone yet, of course. COULD go on a terrible run, but...

It looks like we are good at grafting and getting results...even when we dont play particularly well. I am 10000% confident we wont end up in even the bottom 5 this season. We are still unbeaten of course and have played decent teams.

The fear at the start of the season where it was like, anything can happen with all these recruits, it could go either way, well thankfully it looks like will probably wont suffer that fear and get relegated.

Tick that box off.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    SkyBet percentages (in the style of oohaah...):

1st-2nd: 7% ................ 3rd-6th: 18% ............. 7th-12th: 38% ................ 13th-21st: 28% ................ 22nd-24th: 9%
  • I think we will be okay. But squad still very thin. Only takes a couple of long term injuries and we could be in a tad of trouble.

I'm enjoying it at the moment, as last couple of seasons haven't been comfortable. Take the rough with the smooth, and enjoy times like we are having at moment.
  • Has a team that has won Player of the Month ever been relegated in the same season? Would be interesting to see any examples.
  • My son is close to having to choose a secondary school. Could you tell me which one you went to please?
    Thanks.
  • My son is close to having to choose a secondary school. Could you tell me which one you went to please?
    Thanks.

I'm not sure he went to one.

• Sorry, where we will be relegated? ;-)
  • Sorry, where we will be relegated? ;-)

Ghana, possibly?

• Very topical writing the subject of this thread in Scottish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seeing as 10000% makes 100% no sense I'd say I'm 10% in agreement.
  • Jeez dave when I read the title.... Nevermind...
  • Changed the title.

it seemed rather un-popular
  • Talal said:

Seeing as 10000% makes 100% no sense I'd say I'm 10% in agreement.

There could be a hundred people that are 100% sure which would collectively make 10000% however those 100 people if they are considered the whole would then collectively be 100% so if you were in 10% agreement then you agree with 10 of the 100, as they all think 100% you agree with the 100% so you must be 100%...?
  • I'm sure Blackpool fans were saying the same thing at a similar time last year.

Its still very early days and the squad is thin.

I'm confident that we will challenge for top 6 if everyone stays fit and in-form. Simple fact is they won't.

How the board react to the loss of a key player is vital to where we are going this season.
  • I imagine we'll struggle to take points when the Africa Cup of Nations starts, provided any players are picked, as well as our usual slump towards the end of the season (March/April time).
  • Crystal balls.

Is that Golden Ball's sister ?
  • long way to go, do not start counting chickens yet.
  • Palace went (roughly anyway) from bottom of the Championship in December to the play-offs, it can happen in reverse
  • Sponsored links:

• 37 more points and we can breathe easy.
  • Fiiish said:

I imagine we'll struggle to take points when the Africa Cup of Nations starts, provided any players are picked, as well as our usual slump towards the end of the season (March/April time).

I think only Bulot is going to be involved
  • Weren't millwall once relegated after being top shortly before Christmas? Think it was 1995-96. Squad is too thin and one or two injuries or loss of form could be a catalyst for a slump in form. Happy to admit that we have started a lot better than I ever imagined but the key word is 'started'. Think the fact that none of January's signings are anywhere to be seen speaks volumes. Imagine also the damage Kermorgant would be causing up front with Igor, bringing him into play and getting on the end of Gudmundsson's crosses. Have to move on.
  • How the team/manager react to their first league defeat will be the key. Plus not getting beaten by the likes of Fulham, Blackpool and Rotherham.
  • edited September 2014
    drewman said:

Weren't millwall once relegated after being top shortly before Christmas? Think it was 1995-96. Squad is too thin and one or two injuries or loss of form could be a catalyst for a slump in form. Happy to admit that we have started a lot better than I ever imagined but the key word is 'started'. Think the fact that none of January's signings are anywhere to be seen speaks volumes. Imagine also the damage Kermorgant would be causing up front with Igor, bringing him into play and getting on the end of Gudmundsson's crosses. Have to move on.

Your right , Millwall were top near Christmas and Premier league bound , until we beat them 2-0 at their ground at 'that game in the snow' their descent rapidly ensued after us beating them, more of the same please Big Bob.

• drewman said:

Weren't millwall once relegated after being top shortly before Christmas? Think it was 1995-96. Squad is too thin and one or two injuries or loss of form could be a catalyst for a slump in form. Happy to admit that we have started a lot better than I ever imagined but the key word is 'started'. Think the fact that none of January's signings are anywhere to be seen speaks volumes. Imagine also the damage Kermorgant would be causing up front with Igor, bringing him into play and getting on the end of Gudmundsson's crosses. Have to move on.

Your right , Millwall were top near Christmas and Premier league bound , until we beat them 2-0 at their ground at 'that game in the snow' their descent rapidly ensued after us beating them, more of the same please Big Bob.

I think Millwall had started to wobble (though they were still top) when we turned. On that glorious night we turned the screw further, whereas so often before & especially since we've given them points just when we were in a position to really put them in trouble.

But back to our own situation, and for those who missed it first time, a reminder that a good start can collapse at any moment

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/54440/new-article-remembering-77-78-and-why-we-need-points-at-barnsley/p1