Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BP laughs off Bent and Graham loan rumours

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like no-one is coming in then
  • Options
    Yep..."if everyone stays fit we have a good squad" and "we are not going to blow our money...save it for January"
  • Options
    “At this moment if everybody stays fit we have a good squad.”

But "everyone" never ever stays fit. Vetokele is a marked man, and someone will take him out soon.

But Bob Peeters knows all this perfectly well. I don't want to see Darren Bent back, to spoil my memories of a great Charlton player, nor do I think it will happen. But we need reinforcements. We are 2 players short of a good squad.
  • Options

I really like Bob's comments in that article... Especially when he goes on to say that Charlton have a certain type of player that they're looking for and that if a player wants to come down from the Premier League just to collect a wage packet (We've had a few of those) then we're not the club for them - To me thats the Charlton attitude I've always known and remembered

Totally agree that we need the right sort of players in, but we need a build from a position of strength, and that time is NOW. Not if or when we start to slide. Recent performances suggest we need another 2 or 3 players to bolster the squad.

It's a little puzzling really. We SUPPOSEDLY had the funds available for Delort and were apparently close to two other signings on transfer deadline day?
  • Options
    Melrose said:

I really like Bob's comments in that article... Especially when he goes on to say that Charlton have a certain type of player that they're looking for and that if a player wants to come down from the Premier League just to collect a wage packet (We've had a few of those) then we're not the club for them - To me thats the Charlton attitude I've always known and remembered

Totally agree that we need the right sort of players in, but we need a build from a position of strength, and that time is NOW. Not if or when we start to slide. Recent performances suggest we need another 2 or 3 players to bolster the squad.

It's a little puzzling really. We SUPPOSEDLY had the funds available for Delort and were apparently close to two other signings on transfer deadline day?
    I think the interview the Trust had with Katrien explains why. If RD wants a player he will buy him. Otherwise, the club must try and breakeven.

I.e. the money for Delort would have come from him not the club budget.
  • Options
    With Solly and Gudmundsson missing last night we are down to the bare 18 (Excluding the under 21 development squad). Granted we may see Solly back at Rotherham, but a couple more injuries to key players will see us having problems.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I want Bent back. There, I said it.

It's like being scared to admit that you would take your ex back who cheated on you. But the fact is she is 'well fit', and you want more of her, so just admit that you want her back.

Or you have memories of your ex when she was 'well fit', but when you see her several years later, she's let herself go and put on weight, and you decide you want to move on...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Melrose said:

I think the interview the Trust had with Katrien explains why. If RD wants a player he will buy him. Otherwise, the club must try and breakeven.

I.e. the money for Delort would have come from him not the club budget.
    Interesting. Cheers Redrobbo
  • Options
    We will wait until the end of the month I reckon so the 90 day loan covers us over the Christmas period.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

We had the funds to sign the player, we were just unwilling to pay the agent silly money.
  • Options
    I was using Delort as an example in the terms that we had (hopefully still have) the funds available for a player/players. Not really talking about why the Delort deal wasn't done, On that topic though, I think we were right not pay the agent silly money.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

I was using Delort as an example in the terms that we had (hopefully still have) the funds available for a player/players. Not really talking about why the Delort deal wasn't done, On that topic though, I think we were right not pay the agent silly money.

It'll be wages. The transfer fee for Delort would have been an investment against future revenue when we sell him on - if Roland thinks he can earn more profit in a couple of years from the sell-on than leaving the money sat in the bank earning interest then it makes sense even if it's £3m.

Whereas spunking £30k+ a week up the wall to get a fading EPL has-been is money down the drain...

The fact that personal terms had supposedly been agreed with Delort suggests he'd agreed to a wage that fitted within our existing structure.
  • Options
    M. Duchatelet, Meire and Peeters know the angles and they were trying to sign two more before the window shut.
    They can't guarantee a set number of points between now and January but they can influence the outcome. No one knows which players might get injured or what some dodgy ref will do next. What we do know is that attacking players like Sako and Henry etc. will never be cheap even if available.
    Sounds like Peeters is simply flagging up the cost of Premier league loans and they have already stated a preference for developing CAFC players.
    Thing is it's all about whether we can beat the less able teams in this division. If we can't then they are right to play the long game. Develop young players on long term contracts.
    Personally I like being in the top six...Like our cup run last season I think CAFC should do everything to stay in there. Ideally we have two players featuring very soon in Gudmundsson and Bulot...if we can add to that then all good but I will take it a game at a time hoping we can maximise our points and develop the squad.
    As @LeaburnForEngland‌ puts it so clearly, M.Duchatelet is investing in youth and talent like Vetokele because they will eventually be sold and the club "only" has to budget for 1/5 of the fee each year on a five year deal.
    Paying loan fees and developing someone else's player isn't part of the plan and might only happen if it is absolutely necessary.
    FFP deadline is just 11 weeks away. Forest and a couple of others are likely to fail and this may change the dynamic of the January window.
    We are on a path for somewhere between 6th and 12th right now and that's good enough for me compared to the last five years :)
  • Options
    The problem is that the commercial logic does not work for me. If you have a good product in a good market you invest in it. If we stay in promotion contention three things will happen,gates would go up,the value of the players would go up and there would be more tv appearances and more money.
    For the sake of the marginal difference which must exist between what RD wants to pay for 2 players and the actual cost this seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

The problem is that the commercial logic does not work for me. If you have a good product in a good market you invest in it. If we stay in promotion contention three things will happen,gates would go up,the value of the players would go up and there would be more tv appearances and more money.
    For the sake of the marginal difference which must exist between what RD wants to pay for 2 players and the actual cost this seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Commercial logic and football clubs is what RD is trying to bring together. Investing has to be done within a budget that means the investment can fail without damaging the club, which is why KM seems to suggest that RD has to dip into his pocket if he wants to invest outside the budget. We don't know the "marginal cost" it might be huge. I think our owners see more of a slow burn that might last for a while, than a five minute bonfire that might leave us just with ashes.
  • Options
    Let's not forget that any additional player brought in on loan is telling the current player(s) in that position that they are not good enough. Someone does that to you or I in the workplace and you either work harder or look for a move.
    Nego Reza and Piotr (and now Piggott) have gone out on loan to help their development and value. There is an unknown cost if more do this.
    I like to think of this new squad being built for two-three years not just to finish 6th asap. As the club has stated, if it's going somewhere in January they will invest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're like Susan Boyle... Nobody is coming in.
  • Options

“At this moment if everybody stays fit we have a good squad.”

But "everyone" never ever stays fit. Vetokele is a marked man, and someone will take him out soon.But Bob Peeters knows all this perfectly well. I don't want to see Darren Bent back, to spoil my memories of a great Charlton player, nor do I think it will happen. But we need reinforcements. We are 2 players short of a good squad.

Lottery numbers tonight please Prague.