Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BP: Buyens will make fans quickly forget about Poyet

Comments

• Options
    Poyet and Buyens would work well together :)
  • Options
    Who? ;-)
  • Options
    Vainqueur is also a good player. Early shout for Buyens as POTY?
  • Options
    Have been well impressed with him. I don't think we have even missed DP to be honest. Good player but now moved on, good luck to him. I just hope he (or his "advisers") don't regret leaving a season too soon!

And we've gained a quality penalty taker as well, just hope we can get him permanently!!

COYR....
  • Options
    Will forget that player, plays for West Ham Reserves, name has escaped me sorry... even more if Buyens signs permanently :)
  • Options

Vainqueur is also a good player. Early shout for Buyens as POTY?

Nice to have a few options already isn't it , for me at the moment , Ben Haim, Bikey, Buyons and vetokele have all been excellent .
  • Options
    Buyens is a quality player, but it's a long season. Saturday was actually one of his poorer games for us.

Poyet is also a quality player, but one at an earlier stage of his career, and in a team of better players
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Huskaris said:

Charlton Life mentality: From claiming a player is good enough to go to Barcelona one day (when they're with us) to laughing at how they are ruining their career languishing in a lower prem teams reserves the next (when they aren't)

Love it.

And his replacement is poty already after 4 games
    It was more a prediction if you read it properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Buyens is very good, but Poyet is on a different level to him. Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.

Don't get that.

Yes Poyet has the potential to be vastly superior to Buyens and surpass his achievements in the game but to say he's on a different level already is ridiculous.

Poyet's played half a season at championship level and let's be honest, you'd expect any half decent player with aspirations of the PL to stand out in that team last year. Yoni looks the real deal in a winning team and having played a couple of the best midfields in the league (Derby, Wigan w/ McArthur etc.) he's looked a revelation.

• Options

cafctom said:

Buyens is very good, but Poyet is on a different level to him. Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.

I disagree. I think Poyet has the potential to be better than Buyens, no doubt. But Buyens has more to his game at the moment than Diego does.

Buyens seems to be able to turn defense into attack a lot quicker than Poyet did and he's a bit more inventive. Really rate Buyens.
    I really rate him too, but I do think Buyens' ability to turn defence into attack is heavily assisted by him having outlets to make those attacking passes.

In the team we had last year there we were lacking so much going forward that the best Poyet could realistically do is keep possession, which he did faultlessly. Its a lot harder to turn defense into attack when the outlets you are working with are Church, Sordell and Harriott - compared to Gundmundsson and Vetokele.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I disagree. I think Poyet has the potential to be better than Buyens, no doubt. But Buyens has more to his game at the moment than Diego does.

Buyens seems to be able to turn defense into attack a lot quicker than Poyet did and he's a bit more inventive. Really rate Buyens.
    I really rate him too, but I do think Buyens' ability to turn defence into attack is heavily assisted by him having outlets to make those attacking passes.

In the team we had last year there we were lacking so much going forward that the best Poyet could realistically do is keep possession, which he did faultlessly. Its a lot harder to turn defense into attack when the outlets you are working with are Church, Sordell and Harriott - compared to Gundmundsson and Vetokele.
    That works both ways then doesn't it? Do his teammates get any credit for his performances last season?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

yes Poyet is on a different level to him....he's not yet as good as him....will probably go on to be better, but Buyens has played a far higher level than Diego
  • Options
    Think Poyet and Yoni are too similar to play together. Diego was still one of the best youngsters I have seen us produce. He will be a fantastic player (if he isnt wasted on the bench/reserves) but the fact he hasn't been missed shows how well Yoni has slotted in. As others have said he does have some better quality players around him.

Only thing is I have only seen the Watford game so far this season but did notice Buyens really run out of puff in the 2nd half. Heard mention this has happened before in games???

I would still like to see Cousins moved into the middle, even if its just for a spell during the game with him swapping with Jacko. A right footed central midfielder playing left wing doesnt seem to be getting the best out of him and seems to be sapping his confidence a bit.
  • Options
    Dieg who ?
    Would have him back any day.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

That works both ways then doesn't it? Do his teammates get any credit for his performances last season?
    It doesn't necessarily work both ways. As I said, Poyet was incredible at keeping possession, but that is because his teammates were not very good at receiving the ball or being in the right place to make us more attacking.

Without Poyet in the side then I think we would have got relegated last season. Those who refuse to give him the credit he deserves will pretend to laugh at that statement, but then again it was us Charlton Life posters who gave him MOTM in near enough every single game he played in, and then voted him Player of the Season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would go further and say that our new team will soon make us forget the crap we watched before.
  • Options
    Poyet made a massive contribution last season which makes it all the sadder that he is likely to do little more than pick splinters out of his bottom or play under 21 games at best.

That cannot be more beneficial to his development than staying with us would have been.

All about money though probably.
  • Options
    As good as Buyens has been, I'd say winning games and being high up the table goes some way to explain why people won't be thinking about Poyet.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I would go further and say that our new team will soon make us forget the crap we watched before.

I wish!
  • Options
    If Diego was still with us I 100% guarantee we would not have heard any of the negative comments regarding his ability that have surfaced since his contract saga first emerged. He's a quality player who won POTY for us. He's still a quality player at West Ham, albeit one who doesn't actually play! Buyens is also a quality player and I am very happy that he's here as he stands out in our team, along with JBG and Igor, as being a cut above.
  • Options
    Talal said:

As good as Buyens has been, I'd say winning games and being high up the table goes some way to explain why people won't be thinking about Poyet.

If Buyens hadn't settled in so quickly and our midfield was being overrun on a weekly basis I am sure the more vocal Poyet critics would not be so dismissive of his talent. That said, for me the real sticking point with Diego is the manner of his leaving (as I have said many times before!) and while I think he is already a good player and could potentially be a truly great one, I wouldn't want him back for that reason - nothing to do with his undoubted ability on the pitch.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Talal said:

If Buyens hadn't settled in so quickly and our midfield was being overrun on a weekly basis I am sure the more vocal Poyet critics would not be so dismissive of his talent. That said, for me the real sticking point with Diego is the manner of his leaving (as I have said many times before!) and while I think he is already a good player and could potentially be a truly great one, I wouldn't want him back for that reason - nothing to do with his undoubted ability on the pitch.
    What was wrong with the manner of his leaving?

He wanted to push on with his career and maximise his earning potential. Something that I am sure many people on this board have done and will continue to do.

Probably best that this particular can of worms remains firmly closed.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

It doesn't necessarily work both ways. As I said, Poyet was incredible at keeping possession, but that is because his teammates were not very good at receiving the ball or being in the right place to make us more attacking.

Without Poyet in the side then I think we would have got relegated last season. Those who refuse to give him the credit he deserves will pretend to laugh at that statement, but then again it was us Charlton Life posters who gave him MOTM in near enough every single game he played in, and then voted him Player of the Season.
    Relegated without him? That's nonsense I'm afraid and completely discredits the efforts of Riga, the goals of Jackson, Cousins, Harriott, Reza and Sordell in crucial games, not to mention Ben Hamer.
    It was for the likes of Sordell, Harriott and Reza not being able to score regularly that we struggled so much mid way through the season. They turned it on at the end when they needed to, but again, isn't it funny how that came at a time when Poyet was the main man in the midfield.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Relegated without him? That's nonsense I'm afraid and completely discredits the efforts of Riga, the goals of Jackson, Cousins, Harriott, Reza and Sordell in crucial games, not to mention Ben Hamer.
    It was for the likes of Sordell, Harriott and Reza not being able to score regularly that we struggled so much mid way through the season. They turned it on at the end when they needed to, but again, isn't it funny how that came at a time when Poyet was the main man in the midfield.
    …or when Riga took over maybe.